5.0 out of 5 stars It's not pretty, it's just true.
Published on March 27, 2002 by Deborah Bancroft

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining point of view from the MAN!!
I'd actually give this 3 1/2 stars. This is a pretty quick and entertaining read. As the author states in the first paragraph, there isn't very much out there directed at the spouse of a breast cancer patient, so he decided to solve that problem. The author is able to relate his story of his wife's battle with breast cancer with a little bit of sentiment and a lot of...
Published on March 6, 2002 by JJ Stark

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not pretty, it's just true., March 27, 2002
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I'm a little confused by some of the reviews here. One says that the author fails to make his point: it seems to me that that reviewer wanted the author to have, simply, a different point to make. He doesn't. His point is that illness brings out the best and the worst in all of us, and doesn't really leave any of us looking very much like heroes. The kind of book that these reviewers seem to want is the kind of book that makes me generally despise fiction: blah blah blah, oh, we're all so honorable and brave. We're not. We're all peeing our pants most of the time, and Mr. Halpin says so, and I was immensely relieved to hear it.
If Mr. Halpin admits that he was less than respectful in some moments, well, good for him, maybe the next man who isn't perfect will feel better knowing he's not alone. If Mr. Halpin admits that he doesn't know what's going to happen next, well good for him some more: neither do I and neither do you. Mr. Halpin doesn't give us all the details that we want about his wife's experience: frankly, it's not her book, but it's important to note that we do want those details. It's a quick read, someone said: yep. I wanted it to be longer too. It lacks structure: no, it lacks predictable structure, but so does one's mind when dealing with this sort of experience.
I hadn't planned on writing a reveiw of this book, but reading the others here has inspired me, so here goes:
"It Takes Worried Man" is not a nice, tidy, politically correct story. Thank God for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars we're human. and that's the point., March 28, 2002
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Reading about this struggle of dealing with life-threatening illness, I was constantly reminded about how important it is to always remember we're human. That's what separates us and also binds us. Halpin puts his humanness right out there in all its uniqueness and commonality: of being in his wife's experience and being outside it, of being tugged between his own fears and those of his wife and their family, of being caught between frustration and hope, of finding refuge in things wacky and sublime. All these things remind me that I can not know how I might respond to such a situation, but I can know that I would have my own unique reactions. And as unique as they would be, they would also be part of a shared humanness. Halpin's book is an important, funny, and heartrending read in these times when we need to constantly remember we're part of a fragile, human community.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop reading, March 25, 2002
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I bought this book yesterday, and found myself very unsociable, all evening, I couldn't put it down. Halpin draws you right in, and you want to know whats going on. I read it on the subway coming into work, and kept brushing away tears. I love this family, I love the lives they live - I love Halpin's ability to see joy in moments with his daughter. You find that these are people you want to be with!

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, horrifying, and true. i can't wait for his next book, March 13, 2002
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Brendan Halpin writes in a voice that is seamless and conversational. I could not stop reading this book. I did not know much about cancer or cancer treatments, so hearing about one example of what treatment is like from a layperson's point of view was an education. But I think this book is even more about marriage and love, and about hard times and aloneness. I hope he writes many more books--I will read them all. Because of his many references to music and the way he mocks Phish and folk music, people might compare him to Nick Hornby. But I think Halpin is even more like Anne Lamott--so honest about his own ugly side that readers can not help but feel a connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, March 5, 2002
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
A friend recommended this book after reading an excerpt in a magazine. I picked it up and I couldn't stop reading after the first two pages. The author's honesty is astounding; his voice is compelling; his capacity for humor in a distinctly unfunny situation is incredible. This book is a testament to how strong we all are in the face of adversity. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading, and I would make it a must-read book for anyone who needs to find strength during a tough time. I would give this book more stars if I could!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, I am speechless....., March 17, 2002
Laura Duet (Downers Grove, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
This is an outstanding book in every way. As a reading experience it is everything you hope for as it draws you in and holds your interest. I did not want the book to end. It is hearbreaking, funny, and riveting. I feel bad saying that because it is about one family's life-altering experience, one that no one should have to deal with. But I thank the author for honestly telling us about his experiences. I think that was an act of bravery. This is definitely a book that I will recommend to many, many people. I am sending all good thoughts to the author, Kirsten, and Rowen for blessings of health and happiness. I, too, will look forward to any other writing by Mr. Halpin. I loved this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, August 19, 2002
Patricia Wengert (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I was hesitant to read this book because I wasn't in the mood for anything depressing, but I'm so glad I did. It's told in such a humorous and real manner that it makes you feel like you're listening to an old friend. Although the subject matter is intense, it's not maudlin, and leaves you with the thought to really try and put things in perspective in your own life. I highly recommend this book and I hope that Mr. Halpin will have additional books in the future. I will continue to keep Kristen and the Halpin family in my prayers and wish for a full recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heard my own words, May 12, 2002
Marian Flanigan (Broadview Heights, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I read this book because, being the wife of a cancer-survivor, I wanted to read "my" side of the story. Throughout the book I felt as if Mr. Halpin was writing the words as they came out of my own mouth. After several months of hearing, "How is Mike?" I became sick of hearing it, and I felt guilty. Until I read that Mr. Halpin felt the same way when asked about his wife. He has validated much of what I felt during my husband's treatments. Sure, at times this book makes Mr. Halpin sound self-centered, but,having gone through similiar circumstances I can understand. I recommend this book for any wife or husband of a cancer patient. It feels wonderful to know we are not alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Takes a Brilliant Writer, April 1, 2002
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
This is an extraordinary document from a first-time author. Written in a free-form, short-chapter "Nick Hornby" style, Halpin has crafted an astonishingly simple, honest, grotesque and delirious book. Part Kafka, part Stephen King, Halpin's document reads like Banana Yoshimoto's "Kitchen:" pure, fast, emotional, edgy, electric. Quite a debut for Mr. Halpin, who has quickly -- and probably inadvertently -- achieved greatness with It Takes a Worried Man.

5.0 out of 5 stars A non-local woman who loves this worried man, April 8, 2002
This review is from: It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I devoured this book on a recent flight, and laughed out loud several times. And I'm a woman. ...I'm thankful he has enough nerve, not to mention confidence in his marriage, to write about his needs and lusts, and the sense not to worry about annoying anyone, from his own family to his readers. I took great delight in this memoir for many reasons: because it's humane, because it doesn't try or want to be a how-to-be-a-perfect-husband-in-a-time-of-crisis guide, and most of all because it sticks it to doctors and the politically correct. Anyone who possesses a sense of humor will like this book--male or female.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir
It Takes a Worried Man: A Memoir by Brendan Halpin (Hardcover - March 5, 2002)
Used & New from: $0.01