It died. Can someone help? It is unresponsive except for a red light that flashes when I plug it into the computer.
asked by Leah on April 25, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 answers
A
[Deleted by the author on May 25, 2013 4:43:36 AM PDT]

A
I tried LFJ's suggestion. It worked right away!!! My husband couldn't believe it, especially when he was ready to invest in the sony bloggie (I wasn't keen about the latter). It was a challenge getting the battery pack out (for those of you who are unaware, there is an unlock button on the bottom, then you slide the front bottom part out). After that, plugged it in the computer, and followed the 4 steps. Thanks!
Bella M answered on January 25, 2013
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Plugging a device into USB can re-charge some of the critical capacitors and sometimes bring it back to life. You could also try plugging the Flip into a USB phone charger for a few minutes, like the iPhone charger and see if that brings it back (tested this successfully myself). *BUT* if it's still playing dead, you can get your videos back, at least:

If you're scared by this stuff, see the CAVEATS & WARNINGS at the bottom. I can't provide instructions for using a Microsoft Windows PC because I don't know how to copy an unmountable, raw disk's bitstream. You probably can use a PC for this task, but I simply don't know how without booting the PC into another OS.

On Apple's Mac OS X:

->Start Terminal.app (click spotlight, type in the word Terminal)
->Type into the terminal: diskutil list
->Look for the /dev/disk name of the FLIP camera. It might be /dev/disk2, for example. I'll use that for this to finish the example. So if the Flip camera did show up as /dev/disk2, we want to throw an r in there to get the raw data part, and so we would use /dev/rdisk2. If we don't throw the r in there, we won't be copying the raw disk, which is what we want. Just as well, we don't want to use the part(s) that have s's in them, as in /dev/disk2s1 or /dev/disk2s2
->Type this in the terminal, observing the spaces (rdisk2 might not be the disk on your system, so make sure you use the right disk number): dd if=/dev/rdisk2 of=~/Desktop/FlipCameraRawDiskImage.iso bs=4m
->The above command will take some time to complete but when it's done, the terminal will go back to the prompt where you can type in another command. You'll know it's NOT done if you don't see any prompt or any feedback. When the command starts, you'll see a raw data ISO image of your Flip camera on your Desktop (spotlight Desktop). When the command is finished, double-click that ISO image and it will mount and you can wade through it to get your data back. You can go back to Terminal and try this to pull old videos you may have thought you deleted:
->Get the name of the mounted image from the desktop or by doing another diskutil list
->Type in the terminal: cd /Volumes && ls -lah -notice: those are lower-case L's...
->Whatever the name of the drive is there in the list, use that to change directory to it (let's use FLIPVIDEO for an example): cd ./FLIPVIDEO && ls -lah
->Now find the one that says either .Trashes or $RECYCLE.BIN or anything close but IGNORE the one with the underscore in the name.
->Type in terminal: cd ./.Trashes && ls -lah to show you all the deleted files. If that doesn't work, you may only have $RECYCLE.BIN, try typing this instead: cd ./.*RECYCLE* && ls -lah
->From within either one of those deleted file directories, you can copy the files to your desktop. Try this: mkdir ~/Desktop/FlipTemp && cp ./* ~/Desktop/FlipTemp/

That should work for you if the camera either mounts to your system but the software won't run, or if the camera won't mount to your system but shows up with the diskutil list command. If it doesn't work, or you get error messages along the way, just ask.

****CAVEATS & WARNINGS****
Obviously, if you have no confidence with following technical instructions, I would NEVER RECOMMEND YOU DO THIS YOURSELF; simply put: Murphy's Law. If you follow these directions and adapt them to work in your situation, you can't go wrong, however. Also note that the command dd will DESTROY YOUR DATA IN REALTIME if you do not know this concept: if means input file, of means output file; furthermore, input means data going into dd (being read from a drive by dd), output means data going out of dd (being written to a drive by dd). How could this go wrong? You could accidentally use dd to immediately overwrite any filesystem connected to your system, mounted or not, busy or not. You could also reverse your if and of, overwriting the wrong drive. If you mess up the dd command, dd will do its job without fail. To immediately stop any command in Terminal, hold the control key on your keyboard and hit the c button.
J Pilven answered on January 25, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I realize this was posted several month ago. My flip camcorder (same model) stopped responding at the same time yours did. The last video it recorded was on April 26th. I tried what LFJ suggested, but it did not work.
I tried plugging the camcera into the USB port today (6/28/11) and, suddenly, it works again. Felt like Christmas. So if you have given up, ...give it one last shot and see if it works. Not sure if I can trust it, though.... Maybe it needed an update (which it did). Good luck.
Chad answered on June 28, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It has been suggested, and demonstrated to work, by many that you should perform the following steps, which may help you too:

1- Remove battery pack from device.
2- Insert device into USB port on computer.
3- After computer recognizes device, insert battery pack and [safely remove] device.
4- Reinsert the device into the USB port with battery pack intact.

It should then begin to charge and should respond as usual.

Hope that helps!
LFJ answered on May 21, 2011
Comment (1) | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product