Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

"Chris Botti has the integrity of Miles Davis, the sexiness of Chet Baker and sells records like Kenny G. It's a triple combination." ~ David Foster ~

The whole-page ad from September 23rd issue of L.A. Times Arts & Music Section on this latest offering from my all-time favorite trumpeter-extraordinaire states that . . . "No one can resist the pleasures of Italy." It is especially true! And this irresistible CD/DVD Special Edition is the very essence of beauty and romance of Italy captured in a variety of songs and melodies recorded in Los Angeles, London and Italy in the most superb renditions, arrangements and orchestrations. This collection is an excellent combination of classical music, jazz standards and film scores. Featured guest artists who graced this wonderful recording are also my favorites, Andrea Bocelli, Paula Cole, and not to mention a special "magical collaboration" with the great Dean Martin.

It has a bonus DVD that shows the "Making of Italia," which features behind-the-scene footages, photo sessions and performances with the star-trumpeter, Andrea Bocelli, Paula Cole, interviews with Bobby Colomby (producer) and David Foster (pianist and composer of "Italia").

The CD dramatically spins off with a charming tune by film composer, Ennio Moriccone "Deborah's Theme" and followed by the title track "Italia," an original composition by Chris which he co-wrote with David Foster and lyrics by Lorenzo Cherubini. Andrea Bocelli's stirring vocal artistry is the perfect match for the dramatically beautiful trumpet of Grammy winner Chris Botti. He sings with a style so powerful and very romantic.

One of the loveliest tracks, and my absolute favorite is "The Very Thought of You" with Paula Cole's gorgeous and sensual vocal flair. Hers is the kind of voice that is so beautifully moving. She has been in Mr. Botti's recordings of "When I Fall In Love" and "To Love Again" and according to him, "she does everything in one take." Here, Chris Botti is again in full control of the resources of his trumpet, as he did in my all-time favorites "The Way You Look Tonight," "It Never Entered My Mind" and "Estaté."

Prepare to be hypnotized by his mesmeric take on a favorite classical piece of mine and a very memorable one since it was sung during my wedding ceremony, Franz Schubert's "Ave Maria." And likewise his delivery on Puccini's "Nessun Dorma" from the opera "Turandot" that has irresistible charm that makes you want to listen endlessly!

Dean Martin graced this recording with what I call a magical collaboration between two great artists where his great vocals harmonized with Chris Botti's smooth, silky, sophisticated and elegant trumpet ingenuity. According to Chris it was Capitol Records' idea to do this duet, "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face" and it turned out to be a listening delight.

One of my most cherished and memorable musical moments was the first time I watched Chris Botti perform live in concert at Wilshire Theatre in Beverly Hills a few years back and in my book, he is truly one of my top favorite musicians of all-time. He plays his favorite instrument like no other. He has an expressive range and depth of a truly remarkable trumpet player. Not only a gifted trumpeter but a composer as well, he communicates his passions thru his beautiful music, which is exceptionally heartwarming - the kind of music that stays with you forever.

With my heartfelt recommendation of a CD that deserves to be in your music library to be enjoyed now and forever. It's dramatically and irresistibly beautiful and romantic.
77 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2007
I am a Botti fan from way back. And was critical of his last effort. But boy, is this one good. Not any jazz to my ear, but straght forward playing of beatiful melodies in the smooth Botti style. The theme is Italy, as you would deduce from the title and nicely carried through. Three tracks with vocals, one with Dean Martin in one of those post retirement duets that seem to be in vogue, but well done, none the less. That particular song is on a new Martin Album of duets. Good, no great, stuff here. Quite moving really.
Got to believe this will be the big romance album of the year. Another notch on Botti's horn for a job exceedingly well done.
VINE VOICEon September 26, 2007

The whole-page ad from last Sunday's L.A. Times Arts & Music Section on this latest offering from my all-time favorite trumpeter-extraordinaire states that . . . "No one can resist the pleasures of Italy." It is especially true! And this irresistible CD is the very essence of beauty and romance of Italy captured in a variety of songs and melodies recorded in Los Angeles, London and Italy in the most superb renditions, arrangements and orchestrations. This collection is an excellent combination of classical music, jazz standards and film scores. Featured guest artists who graced this wonderful recording are also my favorites, Andrea Bocelli, Paula Cole, and not to mention a special "magical collaboration" with the great Dean Martin.

Have a lovely listening experience!
88 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 25, 2007

The whole-page ad from last Sunday's L.A. Times Arts & Music Section on this latest offering from my all-time favorite trumpeter-extraordinaire states that . . . "No one can resist the pleasures of Italy." It is especially true! And this irresistible CD/DVD Special Edition is the very essence of beauty and romance of Italy captured in a variety of songs and melodies recorded in Los Angeles, London and Italy in the most superb renditions, arrangements and orchestrations. This collection is an excellent combination of classical music, jazz standards and film scores. Featured guest artists who graced this wonderful recording are also my favorites, Andrea Bocelli, Paula Cole, and not to mention a special "magical collaboration" with the great Dean Martin.

The bonus tracks of "Emmanuel," "Flamenco Sketches" and two of my all-time favorites, "If I Loved You" and "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" are equally satisfying and pleasing to the ears. Paula Cole once again has proven her vocal prowess in "If I Loved You" by perfectly complimenting the trumpeter's silky and velvety tone. How I wish they would record a duet CD of standards. I would love to be in-charge with the song selection! In "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" Chris Botti flawlessly shows off his poetic musicality to the fullest. There's no denying that this is one of the very best instrumental versions of this classic gem from Jerome Kern. These tracks can be downloaded at Chris Botti's web site, or you may opt to receive a CD on the bonus tracks to be mailed to you.

Have a lovely listening experience!
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2007
With Italia, Chris Botti has once again delivered a lushly orchestrated album of astonishing beauty, full of memorable, breath-taking performances. He not only proves there's wisdom in the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - but instead of resting simply on his laurels, with each successive album he's succeeded in making his "formula" of richly orchestrated, romantic standards better. Where To Love Again focused on duets, Italia focuses on Botti's trumpet playing with only a handful of vocal tracks (similar to his break-out album, When I Fall In Love). The inspiration of the album is, of course, the music of Italy, and in keeping with that theme Botti interprets two compositions by master film composer Ennio Morricone - the hauntingly beautiful "Deborah's Theme" from Once Upon a Time in America and "Gabriel's Oboe" from The Mission. The lushly orchestrated, David Foster-penned "Italia" pairs Botti with one of contemporary Italy's most famous voices, Andrea Bocelli. "Estaté" is Botti's gorgeous solo version of the track that he accompanied Bocelli on for the tenor's Andrea Bocelli: Under the Desert Sky [DVD Included] project. Three of the tracks on Italia mine the realm of classic popular song, evocative of Italy because of their close association with interpretations by the likes of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. "The Very Thought of You" is a sublime duet with Paula Cole - her voice, featured on When I Fall In Love and To Love Again, once again proves to be an ideal complement to Botti's trumpet. With her whisper-soft vocal and Botti's velvety-smooth trumpet playing, it's a seductively dreamy performance. "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" pairs Botti with Dean Martin (this track also appears on the Forever Cool duets album). The arrangement is swinging and playful, and Botti's trumpet effortlessly plays off of Martin's smooth vocals. As he proved with To Love Again, Botti is an expert at complementing a vocal, and the fact that the duet with Martin sounds so real, so convincing, is a testament to his skill as a performer. The trio of up tempo numbers is rounded out with "The Way You Look Tonight," the Fields-Kern classic featuring a sparkling arrangement that I can easily imagine Sinatra swinging to in his prime. The album ends with a stunner - Botti's jaw-droppingly gorgeous rendition of "Nessun Dorma," the highlight of the instrumental tracks. As some other reviews have noted, there's not much improvisation on this disc. However in my opinion the lack of improvisation highlights Botti's skill as a trumpeter -- there's no room for error in a song like "Nessun Dorma," and he delivers a spine-tingling, spot-on accurate performance. The control he exhibits on such tracks is quite frankly awe-inspiring.

The deluxe edition features a DVD with four bonus audio tracks. The short DVD (it's about twenty minutes) features some behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the album, the highlights being Bocelli in the studio with Botti recording "Italia" and Botti talking about his inspiration for making the album. What makes this edition really worthwhile, though, are the four bonus tracks - "Emmanuel," "Flamenco Sketches," "If I Loved You," and "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes." "If I Loved You" is another superb duet with Paula Cole, her vocal perfect for the song's romantic, wistful tone (incidentally in the DVD portion Botti states that Cole records all of her vocals for his projects in one take). "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" is what I like to think of as a Casablanca song - the arrangement and delivery evoke all the romance of that film and others like it - it's classy and timeless. Italia is another wonderfully addictive offering from Chris Botti's seemingly endless reservoir of creativity and talent. I had the thrill of seeing him perform live earlier this year - if you ever get the chance, GO. When you see him perform live and cut loose with his band, and then contrast that with the beautifully orchestrated, soaring trumpet playing he exhibits on an album like Italia, one's respect for the scope of his talent increases tenfold.
Great sounding disk that presents Botti and his complete mastery of the trumpet . This disk includes a few vocal selections. The vocals here are the wonderful Andrea Bocelli, Paula Cole, and the great classic Dean Martin, all of which fit wonderfully with Botti's style. The entire disc is warm, relaxing, and never harsh.
on February 21, 2016
It's his best album, and maybe one of the best albums ever made. Some single out Chris Botti for being able to sing with his trumpet, but I just think of it as smooth, beautiful Jazz. Some of his other albums are good, but not as good as this one. Anyone who like this pure Jazz will want this CD.
on October 11, 2015
I absolutely love this CD. I think it's Chris Botti's best. It's what I listen to when driving at night, when it's snowing outside and I'm reading by the fire, and whenever I need to escape from chaos.
on December 4, 2013
Chris Botti is continually drifting towards more classical style music. That is not a bad thing. The first two tracks represent that shift for me and are the starts of this album, in my opinion (Deborah's Theme and Italia, a vocal track). If you enjoy Chris Botti I think you'll like this one, since the rest of the tracks are all Chris Botti style. The Way You Look Tonight reminds me of Sting's 7 days, minus the Sting vocals. Since you can preview the tracks in Amazon, don't just take my word for it.
on July 10, 2014
This is one of those CDs we play over and over and never tire of it! Chris has an amazing sound, and his selections are so romantic and dreamy, or uniquely memorable -- they play in my head over and over.

We love Chris Botti and this is a favorite of all cds.

We are not 'jazz people' per se, nor are our friends, but everyone loves to hear Chris at our ourdoor parties -- his melodies float in the night air -- whether balmy or cool.