Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on November 13, 2010
This book is a gem. It is authentic and simple. I dream about the photos as I drift of to sleep at night. Seriously. I'm particularly taken with Julia's "Spaghetti with Sauteed Radicchio" and her "Zia Rita's Stuffed Beef Braciole". My sister-in-law recently recreated her "Nonna Giulia's Polenta Layer Cake with Meat Sauce" and I think it soothed her soul for the entire month. This book is a treasure trove of passed down, seductive Italian cooking that will please both the gourmands and the kids in your life. Brava!
on December 5, 2011
...but so many mistakes.

Every time I cook from this book I feel this satisfaction and a great desire to thank Ms. Della Croce. The recipes are so fantastic and so simple. I could not believe how good they turn out!

My only addition to some (well, many) recipes is the heat: one or two serranos. I like to make many recipes "angry," like her angry chicken or lobster. We love them this way. Our friends that were lucky to taste these recipes have bought this cookbook as well.

On a sad note, this book was printed in China. It was probably proofread in China. There are some mistakes, like absent references (you see XX instead of a page number). But they don't matter. I wish the book was not printed in China. Print it in Italy! They have printing presses, don't they?

Here are some of my adjustments to the recipes:
Carrots on p.164 (I am cooking them right now along with the oven-fried chicken): do not add water. It will not evaporate from a closed skillet in 30 min. And add vinegar after carrots caramelized. Otherwise your carrots won't look like the carrots in the photo.

Polenta meat cake (p. 104, made it yesterday): Triple the meat and double the cheese (there is just not enough for a recipe of polenta.) Cook polenta in a pressure cooker (Fissler!) for 15 min. Place half of polenta into an oiled baking dish and the second half onto a counter (or a smooth cutting board). Keep the baking dish and the cutting board side by side to make rectangles of polenta equal in size.

Nevertheless, there is always something from this book on our dining table: one, two, even three dishes at once. I LOVE these recipes!
Thank you, Thank you, Ms. Della Croce!!!!! You brought so much peace to my mind and comfort to our stomachs! Thanks to the House Beautiful for publishing oven-fried chicken with bread crumbs recipe (add a serrano). This recipe is so delicious! That is how I was introduced to this cookbook.
My next goal is to adapt some of the recipes for pressure cooking. You can make fantastic meals in a pressure cooker faster! Enjoy!
on February 28, 2011
This cookbook is a joy to look through. Tantalizing photos, beautifully designed. It's a great book to have. I've made the pizza/calzone dough recipe three times. It's the lightest, moistest, most delicious dough. While I give this book 5 stars, it's closer to 4.5. As beautiful as the book is and as delicious as everything is, some of the recipes seems to be missing some steps. For example, the pizza dough recipe tells you to combine water and yeast and set it aside. Then combine some other wet ingredients and set aside. And then the dry ingredients. Sunddenly, you are waiting for the dough to come together in the mixer. For the experienced cook or baker, it's easy enough to figure out what to do, but beginners or those who aren't sure of themselves in the kitchen might get confused. That aside, this is a great book the I highly recommend to everyone.
on March 1, 2015
... with great photos and interesting commentary about many of the recipes. More importantly all the recipes I've tried have been unique, fairly easy and have turned out great. I cook mostly Italian dishes and I've gotten rid of nearly all the cookbooks I've collected over the years except the few I consider to be indispensable. I might add this one to that select group.
VINE VOICEon November 15, 2010
Julia della Croce is an award winning chef who has a master's grasp of the fine art of Italian cooking. She has a number of excellent recipe books out there already, and this one is fine addition to the library. If you like fine Italian food, then this is a book you should check out. It has lots of good, easy to make recipes

(Review of Italian Home Cooking by Julia della Croce)
on August 22, 2013
We eat with our eyes as well as our mouths and the photos here are wonderful, the kind that make you drool in anticipation of the first bite. Recipes are just good stuff, not fancy but healthy Italian cuisine.
on September 16, 2011
This book is what I call grandmother cooking at its best. It is pure comfort food. The photos are lovely, the recipes are unpretentious and simple and fairly easy to make even for inexperienced cooks. If you don't know much about Italian cooking, this book is a good way to start learning. Nothing revolutionary here, just wonderful home cooking.

If you can buy this book together with "Cooking with Italian Grandmothers" by Jessica Theroux.
on October 25, 2010
What a nice cookbook! Ms. della Croce has a relaxed and confident approach to her food, and you can tell its HER food. Lovely, honest stuff & great pictures too.
on October 18, 2010
Easy to make, delicious dishes - what more could you ask of a cookbook? Julia della Croce has delivered another well thought out, inspiring collection of recipes.
on September 15, 2011
I liked this book b/c of the pics, the lack of pretentiousness in the ease of most of the recipes...The ones I tried were so simple it gives license for you to tweak it if you want to and make it a little more of your own. Altho' not one for sweets, the desserts are drawing me in too: Aunt Nettie's Italian Cheescake for instance--the illustration is one that makes you say, "Wow, I can make THAT????!" Nonna Clia's Apple Cake is another; also in here are sesame seed cookies, Orange-Almond Ring Cake and others. I find the best thing about this book for beginner or advanced cooks alike is that these recipes are simple and therefore can be made easily and quickly when we are short on time, and that is a plus; yet there are others that, altho' take a bit more time, are not hard to do.