5.0 out of 5 stars Pack this Book in Your Travel Bag
Published on March 28, 2008 by Robin Sprague

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good, but I would buy Rick Steve's book on Italy.
I enjoyed this book. It was helpful in filling up the gas tank at the gas station in Italy. It also gave helpful hints in preparation for our trip to Italy. However, we passed up buying Rick Steve's book on Italy to buy this book, and if we were to do it again we would have bought Rick Steve's book. If your loaded perhaps you might want to buy both.
Published on March 21, 2012 by D'Law

5.0 out of 5 stars Pack this Book in Your Travel Bag, March 28, 2008
This review is from: Italian Survival Guide: The Language and Culture You Need to Travel with Confidence in Italy (Paperback)
Bingham's book Italian Survival Guide is a must-have resource to pack in your travel bag for Italy! This book is practical; including pronunciation guides for many of the common phrases used to interact with native Italians. I particularly appreciated the Culture Note sections interspersed through the book. I visited Rome and Florence last year, and found these sections accurate and insightful--a big help to the traveler who does not want to look like a tourist!

This book is invaluable and I plan to have a copy stuffed in my handbag when I return to Italy in 2009!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, June 12, 2008
I have bought just about every book on Italy and this is one of the best! It has great tips and information! Unlike other books, I find this information to be truthful! I lived in Italy and now take students on exchanges every year. This book has really helped them! I think it's a must! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right amount of information, March 12, 2008
This guide is as practical and useful as Bingham's German Survival Guide. While the vocabulary lessons are helpful, the culture notes are priceless. This is a great introduction to both the Italian language and to Italy and the length is just right so that the traveler with little time to prep should not be overwhelmed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick survival guide for traveling in Italy, June 1, 2008
Pauline Harding (Cedar Falls, Iowa) - See all my reviews
Elizabeth Bingham's Italian Survival Guide is clear and concise in its presentation of the most important information a traveler needs to use while traveling in Italy. The guide is organized well; therefore, finding the information one wants is not difficult. The pronunciation guide is invaluable. The book itself is not so big that a person gets lost in it when trying to find a specific piece of information. The cultural notes are short and to the point, so that one can read them quickly and gain important information about interacting with the people of Italy. I would be apt to photocopy the information on the inside front and back covers to carry along on daily excursions. Overall, this guide would be extremely helpful to take on a trip to Italy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really so much better than I thought it would be, November 19, 2011
This book is really interesting on several levels. There are lots of phrases -- and having listened to at least 3 audio instructional sets, the phrases are spot on for accuracy and usefulness. There is a mini-dictionary in the back, so you can look up words both in Italian and translate from English to Italian. The cultural notes, to me, seem invaluable. I have been studying up for a trip for several months, and author Elizabeth Bingham is the first to note how important it is to greet "the room" whenever you enter a shop, restaurant, or any other public place. For a fairly small book, it seems like it has more packed into it than many other long books. Whether you are looking for "the one Italian language book" to buy before a short trip, or an addition to your Italian language and culture library, I think this book is a MUST. Ciao!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info. Small book. Perfect for light packing, September 6, 2010
This is all I need to bring with me for an education. Maybe a tiny translation book would be nice to add for words not included in this book. Yes, I read other travel books on Italy, and they are helpful. THIS is the book I will bring with me and flip through again on the flight. The cultural information is priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars better then a help button, August 14, 2009
This was an excellent preview to Roman culture. It helped to bridge the culture gap so while in Rome, I did not offend unknowingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Italian, June 22, 2010
I'm leaving for Italy in a few days and I bought this book about a month ago. It exceeded my expectations. Inside the front and back covers are basic words that you need to know. There are many cultural tips that are helpful and interesting. I already speak some Spanish and I'm sure that helped, but I feel ready to communicate on a very basic level. I am taking this book with me!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent language guide, April 13, 2011
Purchased this book prior to a first-time trip to Italy. Since returning my wife and I have decided to both learn the language and return to beautiful Italy for a longer stay. Having now seriously started to learn Italian, this book is still a fabulous reference for pronunciation and usage. I highly recommend this book. The author's comments about "una bella figura" (having a good image) and how not to look quite so much like a tourist are correct...although many Italians do in fact wear jeans. If you're truly interested in the language, I recommend taking this book and and a travel-size dictionary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, March 19, 2010
MCG "MCG" (Minneapolis, Mn) - See all my reviews
Excellent quick resource for Italian language. Provides exactly what you need. I found it very helpful on a recent trip to Italy. Notes on Italian culture/personality sprinkled through the book are very helpful. Well written and easy to read. Good phonetic "sounding out" of Italian words/phrases. Quick guides on front and back inside covers VERY helpful. Economical. Dictionary in back of book could be larger...this book plus a small Italian-English dictionary is all you need when travelling.

$19.95 $17.05