Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Italy: The Best Travel Writing from the New York Times
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

This is one of those books that defies description. Formed as a joint project between the Italian Tourism people and the New York Times, this generously illustrated volume covers all of Italy, not only photographically but also with immensely readable and helpful articles about the regions, the people and their idiosyncrasies, the culture, the history, the sights not to be missed, the foods, and an ebullient flow of gentle humor that makes this the first choice of reading in preparation for a visit to this popular country - or an invaluable memento for perusing once home from the pleasures Italian.

Not only are there superb 'articles' by NY Times staff writers about the famous places (Milan, Rome, Venice, Florence, Sienna, etc), but here are also vignettes about the tiny secrets of Italy like Posillipo, the Aeolian Islands, Trieste, Portofino and on and on. Forty articles do far more than describe a place: these articles are written by people who can define the flavors so clearly they leap from the page.

Keeping the book in the realm of art, the introduction is by none other than the brilliant Italian novelist Umberto Eco who puts a spin on the wealth of pleasures that follow, basking in Italy's history and the reasons the people are so unique. It is a joy to read. Highly Recommended for both active and armchair travelers! Grady Harp, November 05
There are many interesting articles in this wonderful collection of travel articles from the New York Times. This great book covers Italy from top to bottom and it includes articles of some well known cities such as Rome and Venice as well as some unknown villages and islands. This book shows how diversfied a small country such as Italy is. The photos are gorgeous and the writing is superb from the many different talented writers. I highly recommend this book to any fan of Italy or of travel. This is much more than a coffee table book. Also, a great price through Amazon!
on August 23, 2011
This book has wonderful writing and great photos of Italy. I bought it for my parents before a trip to Italy and they loved it. I'd recommend to anyone who is thinking about traveling to Italy and wants an informed, interesting perspective on the country.
on April 11, 2007
this book is superb. plenty of great photos and informative writing. if we get to italy we will feel comfortable in a foreign speaking country as we will have learned heaps about the people and more about this interesting destination. this book covers all the areas from top to bottom and places in between. thanks to amazon for this purchase as i could find nothing like it in new zealand with such interesting information ! yes it is a must weather you get to italy or not and has pride of place in the travel section of our library.
on February 24, 2006
The book is beautifully photographed. It has pictures of some out of the way places that some of the other brochures and books don't touch on. If you are looking for information, this is not the book for you.
on March 10, 2008
I was unprepared of the size of this book. I expected a medium-sized volume of writing, but found myself with a heavy and BIG book which consists of an equal portion of photography. The writing is selected as to cover the whole peninsula, but I still felt that it's somewhat haphazardly assamblied. But then, you can't cover everything. My point is that a single writer selects topics/places more consequently, after some principle(-s). But it's interesting reading and mostly well-chosen photography.
on February 27, 2006
I got this beautiful book for two dear friends, brilliant musicians, who will be traveling to Italy soon. They were entranced, and have thanked me several times, saying the book makes them feel "as if we are already in Italy."
on June 5, 2009
I bought this book as a gift for my niece who has traveled to Italy. She said she loved it. Now it is on my Wish List.
on August 16, 2009
...Coffee table books on Italy ever. The great pictures and the articles it's filled with are both worth a book on theyr own.
on July 16, 2008
THis book arrived in the condition specified in the advert. I would order from this source again.