5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ BOOK!! The BIBLE for ANY DEADEND RELATIONSHIP
Published on July 13, 2010 by Diane

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for guys! Quite sexist.
Published on January 23, 2012 by MaD DigiD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ BOOK!! The BIBLE for ANY DEADEND RELATIONSHIP, July 13, 2010
Diane "ddiane9" (West Seneca, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's A Breakup Not A Breakdown: Get over the big one and change your life - for good! (Paperback)
I can go on & on & on about this book! I am still recommending this book from two years ago when it felt like MY BIG BREAKUP!! Was dating someone for almost a year. My instincts where SO right on TARGET! I considered this guy my best friend and GREATEST lover of my life! He wasn't getting divorce, and was caring a relationship with his co-worker who also happened to worked down the plaza from him and i believe theres more females.I wanted to crawl into a hole and die!! Make a long story short, Im a stronger person today and "she" is still dating him! I could not put this book down! I didnt have the "booho friends" to surround myself with but this book alone was the only thing that gave me a good night sleep, empowered, build my confidence, gave me hope that I was going to get though it!!It was basically pasted to me because I didn't have the strength to deal with this hurt myself!I had to read this book on my lunch break because I was crying in my car b/c that was the ONLy time I could show any emotion regarding this due to working and having to put a fake smile on my face!You know what I mean! If you read this book I reassure you that you will not need anything else but THIS BOOK! As a matter of fact, when the jerk still tries to contact me,..i have referred back to this book as my crutch and to remind myself that I am a diamond and I SO didnt deserve what i got in return! This book has humor in it but right on target and too the point and it doesn't beat around the bush!!Lisa personality,caring, wisdom just shines though her book! And for the cherry on this cake, Lisa is just as genuine and loving as her book! I had the GREAT opportunity to personally say thank you to her. Its SO refreshing to know that your getting a great book BUT also a GREAT person/author BEHIND this book! Buy it and read it,..it will change your life & you will feel empowered!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, May 11, 2013
I bought several books to help me deal with a break up. The most important thing I came away with from this book is the "No Contact Rule." It makes perfect sense but it's so hard to do when you don't have closure. So make your own closure without contact. The way I look at it is like this. If you have a cut, you don't keep peeling off the scab to see how it's healing. You already know that nature is going to take care of it without your intrusion. So have a little trust and faith in the power of nature and time. The author says the only way over a breakup is to get through it and move on. You need a "Boo-Hoo Crew" to be there for you. And girls, never forget these true friends once you are over the break up. This book is funny and I find that humor heals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help on Surviving a Breakup, December 22, 2008
If you tend to endure a breakup holed up in your room in comfy PJs, then getAbstract recommends that you place this survival guide next to your chick flick DVDs, high-priced chocolates and box of tissues. This girl-power book by Lisa Steadman, nicknamed "The Relationship Journalist," reads like a long "You go, girl!" exclamation. Steadman explains that you can use the "big breakup" experience to become more fabulous than before you met Mr. Wrong. All it takes is a little fortitude and a lot of self-focused behavior. If you want to indulge in a cryfest, a new pair of boots or a bit of spoiling by mom, Steadman says, "Do it!" The goal, however, is to emerge from your breakup with a better understanding of what you need and want and how to make it happen. Use your breakup as a vehicle to learn about yourself and embrace your single status as an opportunity to make valuable changes. One gentle caution: Steadman's basic intent is to offer a good laugh, some female bonding and a warm hug, not a serious, therapeutic method of overcoming a trauma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 22, 2009
This is a great girl-power type book for anyone struggling with a breakup. This was definitely not "the big one" for me, but I had a few lessons I needed to learn; a few patterns I need to break, and I think this helped.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Have Gotten Through It Without This Book!, August 31, 2009
Recently, I had the really big big one---the break up that tore my heart apart. Stocked full of deception, betrayal and more drama that a mini series, I was at my darkest moment when I came upon Lisa's book. From the very first page saying 'Congratulations!' on my breakup, I was hooked. I never really thought of my horrible experience as an opportunity to turn my life around, but it really is! Lisa's charming and funny narrative and working points truly helped heal my soul. I'm having my Movin' On Party' soon and look forward to a happy, healthy heart--ready for a good man to enter next time!

1.0 out of 5 stars Scary bad advice, September 30, 2012
I picked this book up at a secondhand book store while looking for a self-help/relationship resource.

I was really, really put off by the sexist, narrow, male bashing tone of this book right from the start. I'm not sure what this author's qualifications are, but she seems to have a poor understanding of half the population (Men.) The author's bio on the back says that she is a "Relationship Journalist"TM. WTF is that? What does that even mean?

I wouldn't have bothered to even write a review but this book is plain irresponsible and the advice is terrible. Rather than taking a balanced approach that pulls both sides into the equation and tries to help PEOPLE (not just women or men) make sense of a failed or failing relationship, this book tells readers (female) that men are basically chumps and to eat a bunch of cookie dough for a few weeks and hang out with your "Sisters" (girlfriends.)

What a waste of a tree.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for guys! Quite sexist., January 23, 2012
I've heard good things about this book so bought it to try and help recover from my Big break up. While the general concepts look great, the book is most clearly written for women, and frequently goes on the attack of men. As a guy trying to deal with the emotional turmoil of a big break up (yes, guys have feelings too!!!), I found this book very insulting and sexist. It could have quite easy covered the exact same material without constantly putting "him" down. I just couldn't get past the feeling that I was the villain whilst reading this book.

If you are a guy looking for help dealing with a painful break up, I suggest avoiding this title. I suppose women will like it. Though be warned that this book tends to spread hate towards men. Apparently that helps women recover from a break up?

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Saver and Changer, September 1, 2011
I read this book during a particularly nasty break up and at the time I felt like there was no moving on, but Lisa's book changed all of that. Since surviving "the big one" I am no longer missing my ex, but enjoying my new outlook on life.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a Breakup Not a Breakdown: Get over the big one and change your life - for good!, July 12, 2007
Jackie O "cmt" (St. Charles, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This book is too simplistic and tries very hard to laugh at a bad situation. It almost feels like a parody of "He's Just Not That Into You" in some ways. When I had heard about this book I misunderstood and thought it would have solid, cutting edge advice, but was greatly disappointed with the tongue in cheek humor. To sum it up, if you want to laugh about your situation, this is the book for you. However, if want solid answers that are above a 10th graders level of intellect, find another book. This book is not for a mature woman (unless you are trying to laugh).....too cutesy.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Congratulations on your break up!?!, June 14, 2007
Lisa Steadman's book "It's a Breakup, Not a Breakdown" is designed to help women discover a new, and improved, way to deal with the big relationship breakup. She has defined a well thought out process to help you feel, heal, and get back in the game.

Lisa begins by walking along with you through the grief process. I loved her post breakup supply checklist:

(paraphrased)
Your favorite "comfort beverage",
PJs,
Blankie,
Tissues, and
a comfortable place for the fetal position.

She even provides you with a breakup vocabulary, e.g. Ex-factor, Boo-Hoo Crew, Fabulous Factor, and The Slump. Mixed in a long the way are breakup rules and breakup secrets.

"It's a Breakup, Not a Breakdown" addresses rebounds with qualified candidates and not so qualified candidates. Lisa tells you how to deal with revenge in a healthy way and start on the path to identifying your fabulous factor.

She helps you figure out your breakup persona, identifying celebrity examples.

In part two, Movin' On, you create an accountability contract to leave the past behind and take control of your heart. You get to change your Boo-Hoo Crew to a Woo-Hoo Crew and celebrate with a fabulous party.

Now that you've come out of your self imposed cocoon you can bust out as a beautiful butterfly and go about attracting the right guy for you. You can use tips from her fabulous female's guide to dating.

I thoroughly enjoyed "It's a Breakup, Not a Breakdown" and believe that even though the book is written for women, men should read it for the insights it will give them into dating, breakups, and the powerful minds of women.

If you're going through a breakup then get "It's a Breakup, Not a Breakdown" to help you move past the pain, heal the hurt, and go on to a better you leading to much improved relationships!

Kevin Decker, Creator of The Healthy, Wealthy and Hot Marriage Program, Host of The Inside Romance Success Show (InsideRomanceSuccess.com) and best-selling author of "Romantic Antics: Creative Ideas for Successful First Dates, Adventurous Saturday Nights, and Playful Long Weekends".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›