5.0 out of 5 stars Great At ANY Price
What's the problem here?

Not sure why anyone could think the listed Amazon price is too high. Here's the facts:

1) This is a 16 disc complete set loaded with brand new extras.

2) It's from Shout! Factory who always produce high quality box sets.

Published on October 8, 2009 by Jazz Man

3.0 out of 5 stars No captions or subtitles?
It's a fine show, and the price is reasonable for the amount of material... but these DVDs lack both closed captions AND subtitles! In this day and age, I don't think this is an "optional" feature for DVD producers of anything but the most cheapjack material. On a high-quality, high-profile, high-price release like this, there's no excuse.
Published on November 10, 2009 by Rex Dart

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great At ANY Price, October 8, 2009
Jazz Man (Madison, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
What's the problem here?

1) This is a 16 disc complete set loaded with brand new extras.

2) It's from Shout! Factory who always produce high quality box sets.

3) It retains all the guest stars and music. For every guest star that walks into Garry's home, the producers of this set have to negotiate with them or their estate. This costs a lot of money. Now they could have gone the inexpensive way and eliminated scenes, certain music, even entire episodes. But they didn't.

4) It's a landmark cult TV series that probably wouldn't be seeing the light of day if not for the folks at Shout! Factory.

I agree that it is a lot to shell out. But as a fan who has very fond memories of this blowing my mind 20+ years ago, it's a small price to pay to have the the entire complete series in one big box with Shandling's participation. This set is certainly a specialty item and not one to appeal to a mainstream audience. It's aimed at the serious collector of the offbeat and unusual.

With all that in mind I'm looking forward to this set and have no problem shelling out around $100 to show my support for this wonderfully creative show. Who knows, maybe good sales will encourage Shout! Factory to tackle 'The Complete Larry Sanders Show' next?

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the review of Gary's Show, August 5, 2009
This review is from: It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
Obviously this isn't out yet, so this review isn't about the set it's about the show. I remember some of Gary Shandling's standup from specials I had watched on late night tv. So when I heard Fox was gonna run episodes of this after Married With Children I figured I'd see what the show was about. He didn't seem like the perfect choice for a show, he was hilarious in standup but I wasn't sure how an actual show would pan out. I didn't have cable at the time so it wasn't until Fox started showing it that I got my first glance. Some people I had heard talk about it, said it was hilarious, while others said they just didn't get it. Gary's humor can be a bit dry at times, but he's usually pretty funny. So I decided to find out for myself. I'm glad I did. The sitcom within a sitcom idea was a bit quirky but worked. Generally, though if you watched the series week to week you would be rewarded with more running jokes/gags. Stuff casual watchers may not pick up on. The only other series I ever watched that got rid of the fourth wall was the Monkees and they were funny too. But, this show picks up on that idea where it left off and pushed it to the limits without really being over the top. The jokes were great, the actors were all in on the joke, and gave great performances. There really isn't much to dislike by the show. If you are a fan of comedy, I mean a true fan you will at least enjoy this show if not love it. Gary's jokes, like I said can be a bit dry, but they are clever and hit the mark every time. Usually when a joke doesn't hit it's intentional and watching the reactions of a bad joke can be just as funny as the really good jokes. I do not understand why anyone would say at $2 an episode it's not worth it. Not because of the show itself but because tv shows can be overpriced. Seeing as this is four seasons, a complete series with extras, I can't really say the price is all that bad. i remember when tv shows came out on dvd for the first time, i was just glad they did and had paid way higher prices than I would pay today. I love a good deal too, but one can't complain too much for what you are getting for the price. Besides, without this show shows like Seinfeld never would have been dreamed of. It's the clever little twists on the classic sitcom genre that sells this show the most, it was very inventive, and has been imitated in many ways since it went off the air, so much that you might think this show isn't all that original, but it is THE original. I would highly reccomend this set at any price. You'll be laughing so much you won't remember how much you paid for it

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Garry Shandling's DVD Review, December 8, 2009
N. Nayar (walnut creek, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is one of my ATF shows ever!!! And keep in mind I watched this show when it was Fox in 1987 and I was 9. Sure, the adult humor I didn't get, but the audience interaction and the 4th Wall that he broke was something I did get. So when the DVD went on sale, I got it for myself as a gift to myself.

What I liked:
-all the episodes in tact; FOX viewers might remember these were edited, and even during it's 2am run on LIFETIME TV, they were chopped up further. But all episodes are shown since not all of em aired unless you had SHOWTIME.
-semi-decent dvd menu, sound quality is just about average, but loved the features and commentary from the cast.
-great dvd case and covers. Good conversation piece if placed on bookshelf
-the shows!!! groundbreaking. My top three are: Garry and Jeff Goldblum, Grant goes to Hollywood, and when they're waiting for the Schumaker baby to arrive. Great comedy, laughs, and you really get to see the inner workings of a great comedian pre-Larry Sanders. Some great one-liners throughout. When it rains, it pours. Morton Salt, we salute you!!!
-EXCEPTIONAL cast and guest stars: Scott Nemes, cameos from Tom Petty and Rob Reiner, and especially seeing Gilda Radner(bittersweet)

Why no fifth star:
-price!!! still a lot at 100-150+. Maybe divided it up into volumes at $20-40 each.
-would've been great is if they had the GS 25th anniversary special(loved that parody special)
-video-wise, straight from TV, nothing had been upgraded or restored.

So for Garry Shandling or Larry Sanders fans, I'd check it out!!! Although a bit expensive, it's worth it to have the entire series!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars IGSS is worth purchasing., November 29, 2009
This review is from: It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
I read all the reviews and the DVD price was okay with me--I feel this show is well worth it. It is very seldom that I purchase DVDs of movies or television shows, but when I saw that there would be an IGSS complete series box set available, I hesitated for ten minutes, checked that I had the cash, then pre-ordered it. Having made my way through three seasons so far--I hate to do it all at once, it is so worth savoring--I have had absolutely no regrets. Support these artist's efforts and BUY this series. It is excellent. There is way-more than $140 worth of hilarious cleverness here.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this quirky show, January 14, 2010
This review is from: It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
I caught a few fleeting glimpses of this show in reruns on broadcast TV many years ago. At the time I was avoiding anything that smacked of "appointment television" so I never followed it, but things stuck in my mind for years - in particular, I caught the episode where garry turns on his own show on TV (which is live footage of him watching himself watching himself) and quickly proclaims "It's just a guy watching TV - who wants to watch that?....Oh, that's me!" - the sheer meta-ness of that stuck with me. So I welcomed the chance to see the show from the beginning.

These DVDs are superbly produced and packaged, picture and sound are clear and there are interesting extras (though I'd have loved more - where is the 25th Anniversary Special, the bridge to the Larry Sanders show?).

That said, I do think the price is a bit high. It's a fun show, but not always great - some episodes are kind of flat and I winder if I'll go back and watch many of them a second or third time. In contrast, I'd gladly pay these prices for Larry Sanders, but that show was much more densely packed and stands up much better to repeated viewings.

Bottom line: The show is well worth seeing and these DVDs are superbly produced, but as an investment I think it's really for die-hard fans until/unless the price drops.

5.0 out of 5 stars The show is worth the money, October 16, 2009
A few misconceptions:
(a) first of all, there are 72 episodes, not 62. Not sure if that makes a difference to those waffling on price, but there are 72 so that makes it less than $2 per episode.
(b) $120 would average individual season sets at $30 each, which is hardly unreasonable.

I did get Good Times for a much cheaper price but there are no extra and the packaging is just a pile of discs on top of one another. This packaging looks much better (we'll see for sure on Oct. 20).

If you're that concerned about price, buy it from Amazon.ca. It's $112 Canadian there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Merry Christmas to me!, November 1, 2009
Loob (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
We are falling over with excitement! We have waited and hoped for years for this set to come out! Now I have scenes playing in my head, like when Garry and Jeff Goldblum got trapped in Jeff's freezer, or when Garry was so proud of himself for buying a gift and also wrapping it all on the same day.
I have an eye-roll for the people complaining about the price. They apparently don't understand quality, or math.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garry Shandling BoxSet Worth Every Penny, October 22, 2009
This review is from: It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
Having just received this set, I have to say I am very happy with it. There are a good amount of extras and, as always, Shout! has produced the DVDs and packaging well. The DVD menus are visually interesting but not overdone to the point of distraction as in the case of some sets. This ground-breaking series was well overdue, and I think most of us who wished it was available in the past are happy to see the entire series released at once. It's pretty frustrating and often more expensive to wait and purchase single seasons at a time; and often problems occur along the way that slow or prevent season releases when done individually (think Mary Tyler Moore). To those of us who had a few surviving VHS episodes, the DVD quality is so refreshing to watch! If you've not ever been exposed to this show, I don't think you'll be disappointed - it stands up remarkably well given how long ago it aired originally. A little smart shopping will net you a lower price anyway - so take a moment to check prices amongst the top internet retailers.

3.0 out of 5 stars No captions or subtitles?, November 10, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars It was well worth the wait!, November 17, 2009
This review is from: It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series (DVD)
I remember watching this show during it's original run when I was just a kid. Now that I am older, I collect TV shows that I used to watch on DVD and this is one I've been waiting for awhile. I must say it was well worth the wait.

They just don't make shows like this any more. In retrospect, it's a lot like Seinfeld (if Seinfeld spoke to the viewers at home). Regardless, it's very funny and a must have for anyone who enjoys sitcoms from this time frame.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series
It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series by Garry Shandling (DVD - 2009)
$159.99 $101.19