Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on March 4, 2011
I love Tabatha Coffey. Her show, including reruns are a staple on my DVR. She is one of the few people on TV, I really care about.
Of course I bought her book to read, and what is in it, is fascinating, and highly entertaining. The advice is great too! I love how she has taken ownership if the word BITCH. She is in every respect a fine example of how to be Brave, Intelligent, Tenacious, Creative and Honest. Her stories allow a small glimpse into what has made her who she is today.

The book is not not stellar though, and while I would still buy it again, after I read it, I was slightly disappointed.

The book is not meaty enough, and it certainly is not a "deeply personal" or terribly revealing in any way. I read it in 4 hours, and I am not a fast reader by any means.

While Tabatha does talk about some personal times in her life, I was left wanting quite a bit more. As memoirs go, this one leaves something to be desired. I don't expect her to reveal every personal detail about her live since she was born, but some of the more important points of her life are barely mentioned and glossed over, particularly that she's gay and has a partner of 10 years, which is QUITE LITERALLY all she says about the subject: "I have a partner of 10 years." and that's that. We are told nothing more of her relationship with this partner and it is not discussed further. Again, I don't expect all the sordid details, but I am curious to know how they met, how she knew that her partner was "the one" and what about her partner changed her mind about settling down.

Exaggerating this problem is the fact that all of the bullet points of her life that are discussed in the book, are discussed in every review or promotional interview I've read about the book online, so I was not surprised about any of them. I had hoped that what I was reading was just a snapshot of what was in the book, but it turned out to be just about everything.

The writing is not perfect, but that happens in self-written memoirs, and is excusable.

Overall, Tabatha's book is interesting and useful, and worth the price, but not blockbuster memoir material. And I'm not sure that's not what she planned all along.
77 comments27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2011
"It's Not Really About the Hair" is a nice little glimpse at the real woman behind Tabatha Coffey, the "celebrity": an honest, hard-working and uncompromisingly ethical lady who could be the poster child for the American success story (despite being Australian by birth). Filled with stories--sometimes funny, sometimes poignant--from her childhood in Australia to the present day, you get a sense of how the circumstances of her life have shaped Tabatha to be the woman she is.

After reading her book, I suspect Tabatha has largely gained her reputation for being a "b*tch" because she sets high standards for herself and others in a society where it has become more the norm to only do the minimum required and to take the easy way out whenever possible. A hairdresser by trade myself, I identified with every single point she made about how to be a true success in our business: set high standards for yourself, develop a good moral blueprint (she calls it a moral "compass"), become unswerving in your beliefs no matter who tries to convince you otherwise, and work like the devil. (A recipe for success for any career, actually, not just the beauty industry.)

If you are looking for a how-to book on how to open your own salon and become one of the top salons in the business, this isn't it. If, however, you are interested in the solid foundation of skills and character you need to develop in order to become a "rock star" in your chosen profession (hairdresser or other) and are willing to put in the work needed to get there, then you'd be hard pressed to find a better road map.
11 comment17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2011
This book was clearly written by Tabitha, because you can hear her voice as you read it (you know, that crisp but fun "Tabitha's Salon Takeover voice"). I know some reviewers complained that she didn't reveal enough, but I thought she did a great job of telling us her life story. As I read it, I kept thinking that I really hope this book falls into the hands of an older teen who feels like the world is against him/her. I think this book would really give that person the encouragement to face their fears/bullies/conflicts, push through their pain, and come out on the other side a changed and better person for it. Tabitha certainly did, and this book conveys it. I highly recommend this book.
on February 7, 2011
I have been a fan of Tabatha for a while now and I was anxious to get to read her book. It was a great read which empowers you to be who you are and discover who you are, and where you wanna go with your life without having to follow an influenced path. While I thoroughly enjoyed it; at times it jumped around and felt contradictory in some places. But regardless, great read and I highly recommend it.
on February 9, 2014
I love Tabatha and her show, I bought the book thinking that she was going to discuss topics that were related to her business, the book was more about her life experience. Very easy to read, I still love Tabatha, her book not so much
on April 10, 2014
Not engaging, just seemed like all she talked about was her travels and not too much of her career, and or good advice
on June 8, 2013
This is a great book, Tabitha doesn't hold back on the details of her life, telling us in her straight to the point manner about her unusual childhood & how that helped shape her to grow into the strong, honest, successful women she is today. I have been a fan since first seeing her on "Shear Genius" , when she told off that crazy women who wanted to continue to use garden hedge trimmers to cut hair, exactly how insulting and wrong it was, to those of us in this profession who care about professionalism. I have enjoyed every part of this book, learning her history, how dedicated she is and how hard she worked to be where she is today, and the awesome background she has, who she trained with. All that gives her the passion she has for this creative business, & the right to be a "bitch" ( by her definition) when she needs to, and I hope the people she helps on her TV show realize how lucky they are that she shares her wisdom on how to be successful with them...this is a great book, interesting, good reading, & made me even a bigger fan, which I didn't think was possible.
on November 17, 2012
I love watching her show and think she's one of the most genuine and compelling people on TV. Her book, however, doesn't really shed much light on who she is as a person. Yes, it talks a little about her upbringing with drag queens and her career path, but there's no real substance or emotion. One does not close the book feeling that a deep understanding has been had of Tabatha. What she does talk about is the definition of a certain five-letter word and how she prefers to think of it as an acronym with hidden meaning. And at the end of each chapter, she doles out (some pretty obvious) life advice as though she's an expert. No secrets, few details on relationships, no truly wise reflections. It's just a very superficial, boring book.

As others have noted, there's a lot of language... which I liked... but if you're sensitive to that, you must not know have seen her much on TV!
on January 28, 2014
I saw Tabitha on Fashion Police hawking this book, and I love a glamorous "guilty pleasure" read - especially an ugly duckling story - so I thought this was up my alley. I was not expecting literature. Tabitha has led a fascinating and inspirational life, but her ability to convey that in words is limited, to say the least. Almost a self-help book instead of a bio - she says over and over (and OVER) how the secret of her success is to unapologetically be "a bitch" which she attempts to re-define in a empowered light. I can't recommend this, even to fans, unless you like reading fairly patronizing "advice" slightly re-worded and regurgitated ad nauseam.
on July 31, 2012
If you've enjoyed Tabatha's Salon Takeover, you will certainly enjoy this book. It is a balanced combination of insight on Tabatha's life, advice, and experiences. As in the show, she is direct and honest (something not everyone can handle). But with the book, unlike the show, you learn about the life/professional experiences that are the reasoning or justification for Tabatha's advice or approach.

And the personal photos are a wonderful treat! They add a nice element of personal feeling to the book and include examples of her travels.

You don't have to be in the beauty business to find value in this book. It is a great read with tips for life and business.

Rock on Tabatha!!