4.0 out of 5 stars Teaching Children To Be Positive at All Income Levels...
Published on November 21, 2007 by Tracy Foote

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Not Got It
I read this book with no prior familiarity with the author. Although it seemed very promising and innovative at first, I won't be adding it to my list of recommended books for children.

Published on July 26, 2008 by Allison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Not Got It, July 26, 2008
Allison (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)

I would put this book in the same category as "Oh The Places You'll Go" (Dr. Seuss) and "I Knew That You Could" (Dorfman and Ong). All three contain pithy advice about life, set to rhyme, and illustrated for children. Unfortunately, these books tend to appeal far more to adults than to children.

In my experience, rhyming read-alouds are best for children up to about kindergarten-age. Only more sophisticated illustration or writing will extend the use-life of the book into early or mid elementary. In the case of "It's Not What You've Got," the ideas presented in the book will be difficult to grasp for young children with little life experience. By the time they are old enough to understand and make use of the advice, the book will seem far too childish. Therefore, I can imagine adults really loving the idea of a book like this, and giving it as a gift, only to see it gather dust. The illustration style is so unremarkable that I doubt that many kids will be drawn to it. Further, the wordy title just screams "Educational Book!" and will repel most children browsing the shelves for a bedtime story or something to idly pass the time.

As for the book's advice, I find most of it to be sound, but I agree with a previous reviewer that Tip #4 (You Have the Power to Get What You Want) is somewhat at odds with the advice to be happy with what you have, especially with the picture of a girl aspiring to own a car, a pony, a bg house, an expensive handbag, and dreaming about travel and adventure. I believe strongly in the power of positive thinking, but wealth and riches are not the only things to envision in one's future. This double-page spread could have been much more thoughtfully designed.

I suggest that "It's Not What You've Got" be used by parents and teachers as a source for ideas on how to speak about money with children. The individual tips could be used for lesson planning, and many of the discussion questions at the end could be woven into conversation or discussion quite easily without seeming too preachy. Repetition of the ideas in different contexts is what will help them sink in. As long as the kids never lay eyes on the book itself, I see some promise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teaching Children To Be Positive at All Income Levels..., November 21, 2007
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)
I had thought this was going to be a storybook but the book has a poetry type feel rather than that of a story taking place. The book is written in rhyme and addresses a new concept on each page. With each turn of the page, there is a new poem addressing a new value to teach your child. I found the illustrations very helpful for discussions with children, for example: the big house pictured by and apartment building on the page "It Doesn't Matter What They Have."

This book has the potential to be used across ages as young readers will most likely just enjoy the rhymes, but as children get older, parents can use the examples and concepts for discussions related to real life. There will always be someone with more... and always someone with less than what you have. Teaching children to be positive at all income levels will build their self-esteem, pride, and confidence through life.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Not What You've Got, January 16, 2008
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)
I love all of Dr. Dyer's children's books. The ten lessons about money and abundance in this book are important for children and adults alike, and are poeticly stated clearly and simply in a way that easily invites wonderful discussions about the messages. And I really like the questions at the end to further the discussions. It's such a treat to listen to the thoughts of my children that these discussions invoke.
Adult friends that I've given this book to were very grateful for the new ideas on money and abundance they learned enabling them to positively change their thougts.
And I love the softly colored illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Child should read this, November 4, 2007
Joseph Sugarman (Kihei, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)
Teaching your children the principles in this book can make a dramatic difference in the way they perceive their life and their potential.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful lesson for little ones AND "big ones" too!, June 11, 2008
Dudes (Santa Barbara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)
I just got this book and read it with my 2 step children who are 6 and 11 years old. We all really enjoyed this book and had great discussions throughout. The questions at the end are great too! All around, it's a great interactive book for you and any child with great lessons. I would highly recommend this book to any teacher or parent. Illustrations are GREAT too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Monetary awareness for children, February 14, 2008
R. Francis (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book's well-rounded approach informing children about money: simple, to the point, with an empowering/humanistic/spiritual touch, helping remove issues of status from monetary "wealth" while still emphasizing the need to handle money properly. An easy 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prompts interaction, May 9, 2010
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)
Grand kids loved it. We stayed up way past bedtime talking about all kinds of stuff this book got them to think about. I learend a lot more about them before we got half way through the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It;s Not What You've Got, July 20, 2008
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)
I love this book and is a must for all children especially in todays society where everyone wants so much material "things" This book reminds us that we are not "our stuff" and that the best things in life are free......
Every child needs to be reminded of thins including there parents!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have Book, April 3, 2008
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for all my Grandchildren. The Teachers at their schools thought it was wonderful as they also are students of Dr. Dyer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 10, 2010
This review is from: It's Not What You've Got (Hardcover)
A great book with a very important message.
In an age where kids want the next best thing, this book puts money into prospective.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

It's Not What You've Got
It's Not What You've Got by Wayne W. Dyer (Hardcover - September 21, 2007)
$15.95 $13.13