5.0 out of 5 stars FAR more than what I expected!!!
Published on May 10, 2004 by Holly Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Appropriate for older kids - suggested age too low
Published on March 6, 2007 by SandyCB

5.0 out of 5 stars FAR more than what I expected!!!, May 10, 2004
First off you need to know this is a large book. It's huge. The picture does not at all convey how huge this book really is. It's about two times the size of a normal size book. I really don't think the description is adequate. I expected this to be a basic story book. It is far more than that. This is a very scientific book. It is a lot like the book "A Child is Born" only geared for kids. By this I don't mean watered down or talking down to kids. It is perfect. In fact I would venture to say you could actually use this as your primary educational tool when teaching your kids about sex for the first time. I originally got a book that was advertised as being the best book to read to your kids when telling them about sex. Actually I think this is 1000 times better b/c it has pictures, it tells it graphically but in cartoon style. It is FAR less traumatic for those parents who don't feel comfortable broaching this subject. It is, however, necessary to note there is a lot of information that is friendly to the alternative lifestyles. If you are opposed to this then you will have to either choose another book OR censor it yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's what it says about sex!, February 27, 2012
This review is from: It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families (The Family Library) (Paperback)
I am amazed at how much I enjoyed this book. It's a great tasteful presentation of the human body with lots of scientific information on how babies are made all the way through childbirth. Surprisingly, it didn't make me feel uncomfortable at all. It has short easy to read paragraphs, comic strips, and lots of diagrams. To me, it seems most age appropriate for ages 10-12, though every family/situation is different.

*Let's be honest, what you really want to know about this book: how it defines sex!! So here it is: "When a woman and a man want to make a baby, they hug, and cuddle and kiss and feel very loving, and get very close to each other - so close that the man's penis goes inside the woman's vagina. When this happens, it is called "sexual intercourse."" No technical diagrams, just a picture of a man and women in bed kissing under a blanket with hearts in the air. It also very tastefully covers homosexuality in terms of love, and briefly touches on masturbation: "touching or rubbing the private parts of your own body because it feels good is called masturbation...every family has its own thoughts and feelings about masturbation. Some people and some religions think it's wrong to masturbate... most doctors agree that masturbation is perfectly healthy and normal - and cannot hurt your body."

Hope this helps you decide if this is the right book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful educational tool and funny too, March 1, 2005
J. Nutini (Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for several reasons. I'm 23 years old but circumstances found me diving into the world of foster parenting. I needed a book that could help me talk to my foster son about all of the complex issues he had already faced at the young age of seven. I also bought this book because I work with an HIV/STI prevention youth program. I wanted a resource that was young person friendly and that could be used by both young children and teenagers alike. Then I stumbled upon this book here on Amazon while looking for parenting books.

I will say, this book does a wonderful job of explaining things like sex, sexuality, alternative families, sexual abuse etc. in a way youth can enjoy and understand. It takes an open-minded approach. The only thing I will say is that if you're thoughts tend to be very conservative then you may have a problem with some of the things in this book. However, I feel it takes a candid and loving approach to life, love and sexuality.

What makes this book so cool is that you can start by reading certain sections with your younger children that may be applicable to them or their age group. As they get older you can begin reading some of the other sections and eventually leave the book in their room to refer to if needed. Buy it! It's worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a wonderful book!, August 16, 2000
This book is perfect for children to read before entering puberty! Robie Harris explains male and female body parts (inside and out), what changes take place during puberty, how an sperm fertilizes an egg, what sex is, what love is, what happens during pregnancy (including how a baby grows and how one is born), different types of families (gay, straight, adoption, etc), good and bad touches, and even a bit about HIV and AIDS.
The author explains everything very honestly without being judgmental, although he leaves room for a parent to explain his or her own values to a child. For example, while explaining masturbation he writes, "Every family has its own thoughts and feelings about masturbation...Some people and religions think it's wrong to masturbate."
The book covers a lot of information, but presents it in a fun and simple way. The cartoon illustrations are complete without being terribly graphic, and the small bird and bee throughout the book serve as "tour guides". This book will definitely be on my bookshelf when my daughter starts asking questions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Appropriate for older kids - suggested age too low, March 6, 2007
I previewed this book at the library for use with my 7-year-old daughter. The reviewers who praise it for its completeness and no-nonsense approach are all correct. However, and it is a big however, it goes much further. I want my daughter to understand where most babies come from (discussions of assisted reproduction can wait a year or two). I'm not ready to discuss HIV, homosexuality, wet dreams, or really, much beyond the basics. These topics need to be dealt with, certainly, but at age 7? I might look this book up again in a few years, but for now I really feel advertising it for age 7 and up is pushing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book- Real life., May 26, 2008
I have read mostly positive reviews about this book and I agree. We used this book for my daughter's Kindergarten body project when she wanted to know about where babies come from and I had no problem reading it to a 5 year old and a 7 year old, mixed genders.

Though I know some have suggested that there is a political agenda in the book regarding abortion and homosexuality, I feel this book is unbiased and promotes proper family values for the following reasons:

1. There is a focus on the love aspect of relationships along with the physical aspects of sex and reproduction. There is no way a child will walk away from this book thinking sex is appropriate between strangers. It is clear, from the writing, that this is something to share within a serious relationship.

2. There is a mention of homosexuality. It is very brief. It does not encourage homosexuality any more than it discourages homosexuality. It does not go into graphic detail of how two men or two women have intercourse. It simply points that some people in same sex relationships have children together. This is fact and is stated as such.

3. Abortion is not glorified. It is mentioned that some people end their pregnancies through abortion. Again, this is stated as fact- not glorified or demonized. It is reality and is mentioned as such.

4. There is also a part that describes sexual abuse. It is very sensitive and is written to encourage children to seek out help if they are in a bad situation.

These are difficult, often controversial, issues. They are handled with loving care by the authors. Two thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's So Amazing, February 29, 2000
den "macguyver" (In the woods of the Bay Area) - See all my reviews
Since our nine year old son is the result of donor insemination within a two mom family, he is pretty well informed on how a baby is biologically created. All those questions and more were answered in a humorous way in this book. A child can take this book and read a page or a chapter at a time by himself or with his family. It allows him to feel comfortable with the whole factual human sexual process through humor and easy to understand child-text. I would recommend this book to any family that wants their children to understand all types of relationships, families and the unique process of conception and birth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight talk with plenty of humor, June 28, 2001
The best part about this book is the organization; it's easy to skip around and address the speifics that your child has questions about. The beginning parts are a perfect introduction to "How babies are made," and acknowledges all the mixed feelings kids might have on the subject. It's a good book to leave around for your child to "find"; kids have an idea of what they're ready to deal with. (As a 13-year-old, I picked up my parents' copy of "The Joy of Sex" and quickly put it away because I wasn't ready for that!) I like "It's so Amazing" better than "It's Perfectly Normal" (acknowledging that you will need a more advanced book for your older children to "discover"); "Normal" is thorough about anything a preteen could possibly want to know; unfortunately, some of the pertinent info you have to discover by accident while reading other sections of the book. Also, "Normal" equates having a crush with "sexual attraction" - I'm not comfortable with that assumption. Note: "Amazing" is not a sufficient resource for your reaching-puberty boy or girl; you should have a boy-or-girl-specific book for that 9-12 age. I'll be on the lookout for a knockout book for graduates of "It's So Amazing!" Maybe we need a really advanced teenage book that tells it all about contraception, bodies, and sexual risks in a way a 9th grader can relate to - after that it may be too late!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., August 1, 2001
By A Customer
This book is a great way to give kids sex education. It covers all subjects clearly and in an interesting fashion. However, I disagree with the age range it is recommended for. It is recommended for ages 8-10, and, while most of the material is appropriate for this age group, some is not. Children should receive sex education in stages. A child who takes the book and begins to read will learn about body changes and babies being born, but many in the age 8-10 age group are not ready to learn about intercourse. I know this because I have a 7 year old and a 10 year old. My 10 year old read the book "Growing Up, It's a Girl Thing" and was quite thrown by some of the information on periods and body changes. But all of that information was perfect for the stage she's at -- it was the information she needed, but nothing that would worry or overwhelm her. (It is the book I'd recommend for the first step in a girl's sex education.) My daughter is very well read, but not ready for "It's So Amazing." I will hold on to the book until she is.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a Stepmother with a 9 year old and 12 year old....., June 5, 2001
By A Customer
A few months ago, my husband asked if I would have a talk with our two girls about growing up and the birds and bees. As their stepmother (for almost seven years), we are very close, but I was a little nervous about approaching this subject. To my relief, a coworker mentioned the "It's so Amazing" book and then felt compelled to lend me her copy for a few weeks so I could read it with my 9 year old. She'd highly recommended it after using it with her two pre-teenager sons.
Being able to share the experience of reading and talking about this subject together with Maddie (our 9 year old) was actually...a nice experience and now one of my favorite memories. We had quality time together and opened a whole new level of communication based on trust and open communication. I have to admit, I'd made some assumptions about what she may have learned from friends and school, but she knew less than I thought, and I think the timing was great because she was very curious and starting to ask questions like "where do babies really come from?", and "what are (tampons) used for"?
I used the book as a tool for our conversations, following Maddie's interests and curiosities. We read some chapters together, and skipped some others (for now), going at her pace. In our first sitting, she wanted to keep going for almost an hour!
I finally returned the book to my coworker, so am getting around to purchasing our own copy since I know Maddie and her sister will enjoy having it through their pre teen (and teen) years (I know I will).

Used & New from: $0.01