4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the Negative Reviews
Published on December 7, 2009 by Blessedbybooks

2.0 out of 5 stars It's (Not Worth) Your Time
Published on November 13, 2009 by high-rollah

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the Negative Reviews, December 7, 2009
I've purchased all of Joel Osteen's previous books (and Victoria's book as well) and I've found all of them to be helpful, inspiring and uplifting. Since there have been several recent books and because of some negative reviews on this site, I almost didn't purchase It's Your Time. Fortunately I took the chance based on my past experience with his books and I'm glad I did. I truly disagree with the negative reviews that state "it's a rehash" or that the book was "phoned in" rather than being written with care and dedication. Yes there are references to previous books and previous anecdotes. But the majority of the stories, examples and anecdotes are new. Osteen makes numerous references to the current economic situation and how to weather the storms. His concrete suggestions for dealing with adversity would be helpful even to an atheist, much more to a believer.

I realize he's seen as sort of an unsophisticated "Bible thumper" but he has a great way to demonstrating how adversity can be turned into a blessing and our enemies can inspire us to greatness. As he commented in the book, if not for Goliath, David would probably have lived and died a simple shepherd boy. It took adversity, a challenge and risk for the world to recognize David's talent and greatness.

My thoughts regarding the negative reviews is that some people a) resent Osteen's success and b) think that religious teachings need to focus on punishment and sacrifice to be credible. In all fairness, if you are a Biblical scholar, the Osteen books are probably not your cup of tea. But for the many millions of people who are mired in self doubt and afraid to act, I think they will find some insight and inspiration from It's Your Time.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's (Not Worth) Your Time, November 13, 2009
I really like Joel Osteen. Since I started watching him on TV years ago, alot of what he speaks to makes sense to me, and he has enriched my life in many ways. I read his first book, and enjoyed it. Then I read his second book, and noticed he borrowed some material from his first book. I had very high hopes for this new release, and thought this time the book would contain all new material. Maybe my hopes were too high.

After reading this book, I came to the conclusion that this time around he is just phoning it in. Most of "It's Your Time" is comprised of recycled anecdotes and passages from his previous two books, as well as transcriptions of a few TV sermons. How many times do we need to hear how he met his wife? We get it already....you bought a cheap watch. Or his deal with the Compaq Center(I don't think we'll ever hear the end of that one), or the story about the exploding can of biscuits, and about 50 other passages that made me stop and check the book jacket to see if I was reading his "new" book or one of his previous books. Anyone else notice this too?

There was a smattering of new paragraphs, but not enough to justify 300 pages.....a pamphlet maybe. I hope the next time around will not be as disappointing. So in the meantime, I will stay in faith, and pray for some new material. Amen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what you expect, November 23, 2009
This review is from: It's Your Time (Kindle Edition)
I like Joel Osteen, and watch his sermons weekly either on TV or via podcast. This is not a review of Joel Osteen; it is a review of the book.

I purchased this book on kindle when it first came out, and I haven't finished reading it yet -- and doubt that I will. This is not a real book, but more of a collection of sermons he has given over the years. In fact, I watched a sermon after I started reading the book -- and though when reading the book it seemed familiar, when I saw the TV show I was surprised to hear not just the "theme" but the actual story I had read. Same joke, same anecdote, same lesson, almost verbatim.

If you have already watched Joel on TV or podcast, then no need to buy this book to learn another facet -- it is just a repackage of sermons he has already given.

However, if you don't mind reading what you've already heard/seen, then perhaps buying this book will reinforce what you've already been told by Joel. I wish I had known the content before I bought this book -- I probably would have waited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joel keeps getting better.., February 27, 2010
This review is from: It's Your Time (Kindle Edition)
...all the time. I have read all of his books. They keep getting better. Some people say that he is just a "feel good" preacher looking to get rich. I think he is a wonderfully insightful God filled man with a great way of letting us know what God's best is for all of us. We just have to believe and let Him.
I was a critic of Joel Osteen at first. However, after reading his books and watching him on his weekly shows I have opened up to what he is saying and I can tell you from personal experience that his message works if you work it. Thank you Joel and keep it up.

Bill Kyne

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Your Time, January 10, 2010
As usual Joel inspires you to really trust God in this book! I have throughly enjoyed reading this and will probably read it again when I am through, he is such a motivating writer and man of God. This is a book for people who want to change their lives and their thinking and begin to trust God to help them make those changes and believe in themselves and the possibilities surrounding them. I give this book a 10+ star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got me through a rough time!, July 21, 2010
This book really helped uplift me in a rough spot in my life. I enjoyed that Joel used personal stories from his and his family's lives, famous stories of triumph, and bible stories to inspire. I learned a few new perspectives on old stories from the bible because Joel put a spin of hope on them. He not only discussed the stories, but he also quoted key verses. I like to see the actual scripture, so that is good.

I recommend this book, and I have loaned it out to help all of my downtrodden friends and family. I can't find a job, my two sisters can't find jobs (we're all college educated), we've had family tragedy, family persecution, and family illness. SO I really needed to hear this message of hope. The recession is still affecting us, so it was great that he focused on the recession a lot, especially in the aspect of paying debt and finding jobs! That hit home.

In conclusion, buy this book if you're downtrodden, especially financially. It's also great for those searching for a new career or feel their identity is confused (such as I'm a lawyer, but I knew God called me to be a teacher type stuff). I would have given it a full five stars, but it did get repetitious at times and there was too much of the name it and claim it attitude, which I personally do not agree with on a doctrine level. Otherwise, it was awesome. Buy this and you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Your Time, September 7, 2010
This is an inspiring book of hope despite the negative criticism from some of these reviews. I'm reading it for the THIRD time and it will not be my last. Yes that's right the same message over and over and over and over from the SAME book. I'm also reading the Bible for the first time from beginning to end.

Christians wake up and smell the coffee and realize that it's not always about you. Believers are supposed to know better. What a bad example to set for people who do not know God. Why would they want to with the way some Christians act to turn them off?

We know because we've been turned off by some Christians for years. We still love Jesus and know it's not Him doing this. Just because someone thinks they are saved and they go to church doesn't mean they are following in Christ foot steps. In fact, most Christians are more like the Pharisees who criticized Jesus.

Someone fallen or lost may read this book for the very first time and come to accept and know Jesus as their savior and even more importantly go on to reach others. Or they may read one of these negative reviews and choose not to read it and remain lost forever. What does God think about that? Look it up in the Bible and find out.

Shame on those, especially Christians, for being so critical of a man who is a vessel for Christ and not God himself. There was only one who was perfect and I have not seen Him walking on water lately.

At least Joel is doing something to reach out to inspire people to come to accept and know Christ and know what a BIG God we have. It's about the 'message' not the book having some of the same stories as his other books.

What are some Christians actually doing besides being critical, downgrading people, thinking only of themselves and how they bought a book that has the same message as all Joel's other book's?

Let's all look beyond the forest. Open our eyes to the message and pray that God will use us to reach others who are lost instead of thinking how much was wasted on buying the book.

Read it more than once and then pray that the message from God will actually sink in to help you reach out to inspire others like Joel is doing!

Joel we appreciate you and Victoria and all you do to spread the word to a lost world and pray that God will forgive those who are critical and that His message will be revealed to them.

God Bless you!
Sue Seward

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as always, December 6, 2009
This book is so uplifting. It will build your self esteem and change your expectations about your future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, March 4, 2010
"You can't please everybody." Not sure about the negative reviews, but I certainly enjoyed the audio book version. During long commutes I would listen to him uplift, and inspire. If you enjoy Joel Osteen you should enjoy this book. Just a thought...if you are no longer moved by his messages, and feel he's repeating himself, give your copy away for free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Long Learning, March 9, 2010
It's Your Time is the best inspirational book yet! It is truly a book that you would want to keep on you night stand forever and read every so often through out life...It has help, scripture, and inspiration for every aspect of your life! I LOVE IT!

It's Your Time: Activate Your Faith, Achieve Your Dreams, and Increase in God's Favor
Used & New from: $1.62