Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim forum

It's coming and its not an MMO !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2011 9:38:21 PM PST
Jesse D says:
There were so many rumors that the next Elder Scrolls game was going to be an MMO, and it made me lose interest. I am glad to hear that this will be single player like the previous in the series. Oblivion was my favorite game of all time, with Morrowind being in the top five as well and I'm sure Skyrim will live up to the quality and addictiveness of its predecessors.

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 7:53:45 PM PST
Davidovich53 says:
Seeing as how WoW is the untouchable juggernaut in the MMO market, it was probably wise of Bethesda to stay in the single-player format.

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 4:37:41 PM PST
Matt A. says:
I'm tired of all the multi-player oriented games anyways. I just want some good story and lengthy gameplay that I can play on my own.

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 9:54:04 AM PST
Miss Daisy says:
I would have loved for this game to be co-op, and am a little disappointed that it's not :( MMO I could care less about, but there's a serious lack of GOOD co-op games, especially of this genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2011 1:55:23 PM PST
I agree. My wife and I loved Oblivion. It would have been fun to play this together. Maybe they are waiting to reveal it a few months before release. Here's to hoping pigs will fly.

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 4:00:12 PM PST
Andy Espinal says:
Co-op could only make this game better imo. It could scale the amount of monsters depending on how much people are playing

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 8:24:38 PM PST
Jesse D says:
If it was co-op wouldn't it have to be more linear instead of the open world Elder Scrolls is known for? I like co-op options in game like Gears of War, but I'm not sure how they could implement it in Skyrim without breaking the experience I want.

Posted on Jan 23, 2011 12:25:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2011 3:37:02 PM PST
There reportedly is an Elder Scrolls MMO under development, but it's not being done in-house by Bethesda Game Studios (who designed Oblivion and Skyrim) -- it's all being handled by Zenimax Online, a recently-started subdivision of Zenimax Media, who own Bethesda. Skyrim itself is getting overseen by Todd Howard and his crew, while a completely different dev-team is working Zenimax's MMO.

http://www.zenimaxonline.com/

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 1:13:18 PM PST
Oblivion is one of the best games ever and I cant wait to get my hands on this baby! :)

Posted on Jan 27, 2011 12:04:54 PM PST
Sirhc says:
I would have loved to seen this game with borderlands style co-op. I good, open world, co-op action adventure with an upto (but not required like Left 4 Dead) 4 person party. That would be the ultimate for me.

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 9:05:41 PM PST
K. Eagle says:
Co op would make this the all time game. Unless they did somthing desaterous, like limmiting the area a player can go like in Fable II, it makes the game uteerly horrible it would deffinently need to be like borderlands in the way of co op except that you don't have to be in the same area. Can't wait for it to come out!! Ugh yes i can...

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 4:32:09 AM PST
S. Mattson says:
If they added co-op and it broke the experience of the game, all one would have to do is not use co-op. Having that extra option, I don't see how it hurts.

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 10:07:39 AM PST
K. Wendt says:
@Matt A. I hear you there. Remember when no games had online multiplayer? It's nice some are still doing that!

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 6:50:26 PM PST
Co-op Skyrim would =Win. It wouldn't be difficult to have it implemented so that all side quests are deactivated and you can only work on Main story or Random cave/Dungeon killing. It could just be that NPC's won't talk to you about side quests while in a party. Easy as pie.

Posted on Feb 5, 2011 12:01:42 PM PST
K. Wendt says:
If it had been a MMO, I would've broken my rule on never playing a MMO for it!

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 8:31:24 AM PST
ChomskyKnows says:
not sure how this could possibly go co-op. Split-screen would look terrible as all your screen real estate would be shrunk. Online co-op would have the engine die and framerate crawl (or else the graphics would take a major hit) when characters were in different areas and all their separate stuff (environments, etc) had to be loaded. Otherwise, both characters would have to be loaded into the same area...

Elder Scrolls was always a good-looking game, not like WoW graphics. I know they're using a new engine, but not sure it could handle all the double-buffer (or whatever it is) crap that goes into co-op...If they can get it to work and look good at the same time, thumbs up.

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 8:35:09 PM PST
Really it's practically co-op. My brother and I have always played these games together. When we were kids our parents computer (we didn't have ones of our own) was so bad that you needed someone else there to play chess with during the loading screens. The fun part is in comparing the different paths we end up taking and sharing the secrets you stumble across. We're two completely different people who look for entirely different stuff out of our gaming experiences and yet the Elder Scrolls games are a shared favorite. Also on my part there's still plenty of passing off of the controller as in "hey, pick this lock for me will you, I've only got 5 lockpicks left."

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 10:12:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2011 10:14:11 AM PST
Something like instanced dungeon-crawling might work. As you go through the world, it's your standard "Elder Scrolls" massively single-player adventuring, but when you reach a cave/castle/whatever, you get the option to see if anyone is "starting" that area, or to invite a friend to join you in the dungeon-crawling there. After you complete the dungeon, they leave.

My biggest problem with co-op is that it would make the game too easy, and it's ridiculous to have the game suddenly scale to the addition of a new character. However, if it was only for selected caves or missions, it would give a chance to add some fun and challenge without ruining the integrity of the entire game.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 4:20:15 PM PDT
I don't know if adding multiplayer to this kinda game would make it any better, you'd have to redesign how quests were completed and who that person was in the game, what would ya do if in Oblivion your friend's character joined your game and you were both the head of the Mage's Guild? What then? A fight to the death? A vote? How would that work out? Would the game just ignore it? In a game like this that's tailored around a single player, adding just one other player would be really complicated I think. It'd be like a motorcycle manufacturer making a car. Hey, sure they make an awesome bike but they'd have to do a lot more to make a good car.

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 9:25:17 AM PDT
K. Wendt says:
In an IGN interview, Todd Howard confirmed this is single player ONLY.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158651p1.html

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2011 9:42:47 AM PDT
I think making this type of game into an MMO would ruin it. It would lose the authenticity. I'm certainly glad that was on rumor that turned out to not be true!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 1:58:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2011 2:05:29 AM PDT
Justin says:
I can see it being co-op but I'd honestly hate to see MMO -- Once I pay for a game I don't want to pay subscription fees again & again. As far as co-op goes -- It doesn't have to be linear if they do it right. I mean Borderlands pulled it off -- regardless if you happen to like it or not (or if you've never even played it, it doesn't really matter) Overall they pulled it off, so I don't see why it would be a problem for Bethesda to do. I'd even like to see some way to play Fallout with co-op. The only thing I see a problem with in that would be VATS targeting maybe because it freezes the action. Just saying I'd much rather have a buddy playing co-op than have some lame-brain NPC character following me all over the place spouting random non-sense & getting in the way.
But anyway -- If it were done right Skyrim could totally be co-op. I wouldn't want it to be MADE for co-op like Borderlands however. Then playing single player you hear "There's too many guns on me!" (or whatever) from the enemies & I'm like -- "WTF are you talkin' about dumbass? It's just me!" Lol.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 2:21:17 PM PDT
S. H. Wells says:
I do think co-op could work well in an open world non-linear game (something like Borderlands). I would love for a friend or two to be able to visit my game, we battle some beasts together (they would have scale-up as players joined you). Imagine how it great it would be if I could have my spell-slinger and my buddie's warrior working together (heck maybe we could duke it out if he tries to take all my loot!).

But I think everything I have read suggests Skyrim (like oblivion) is single player only.

Elder Scrolls VI: Keep the awesome level of character customization. Keep the AMAZING amount of dungeons and caves. Keep the tremendous amount of quests, missions, side jobs. ADD CO-OP.

My dream game would Oblivion customization and world + Borderlands drop-in/out co-op in one awesome RPG package.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 8:36:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2011 8:37:14 AM PDT
Jesse D says:
Got a countdown timer going now that we are in the final 3 month wait. As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. :-)

If Modern Warfare 3 comes with a $20 credit, I will buy that and then immediately buy this. Otherwise I'm getting it with my Gears of War 3 credit.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 7:29:43 AM PDT
J. Page says:
I'm not sure I can get this game...I was addicted to Oblivion and would spend entire weekends playing it from sunrise to sunset without even flinching. I feel like my addiction will grow with the release of this game...I must try and resist!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 27, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about