Customer Discussions > 10,000 Days forum

It's not Maynard singing everybody!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 52 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2006 3:31:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2006 3:36:32 PM PDT
To Pearl jams Lion and Jake,
Your comments about Tool fans have got to be the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. These people (fans of Tool) that you have encountered would still be idiots even if Tool never existed. They just happen to be maniacle about a certain band. For you to associate their bahavior with the band and it's music is truly ridiculous.

About the album:
I love it. It's everything I could want from them. It's got the influences of ALL the previous albums put into one kick@$$ package. And yes...it's the real album.

About him not being the singer on The Pot:
The intro is questionable. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they've have guest vocalists. But beyond the intro there's no question as to whom is behind the mesh, some of you just aren't LISTENING!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2006 5:27:07 PM PDT
It's really not filler after filler, though. "Lost Keys" (which some would say is filler) is actually an intro to Rosetta Stoned. It was just made as 2 different tracks, but they are really one and the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2006 5:51:50 PM PDT
Gary Mowrer says:
finally someone said something about Jake and Pearl Jam Lions, they were really starting to piss me off. Its one thing to disagree with someones opinion, but it just stupid to try and find all the possitive reviews on this forum and bash the person giving it. Calling him a blind follower, I'm sure these people arn't pretending to like this album for some obscure reason, or just because they like Tool so much they "train themselves to like it". Respect other people opinion and not call them deaf or retarted. And why are u, Pearl Jam Lion, even making so many posts on this forum anyway? It sound like u don't like tool that much. I understand that you think Pearl Jam is better than Tool, but u don't need to try and tell us why. I myself, like Pearl Jam also and am also excited about thier new release. But in "my opinion" I like Tool more because they are more complex and deep in thier music. Pearl Jam is more down to earth, which I also like. Your arguments were becoming just plain stupid especially when u started using album sales and rolling stone reviews. And as for Jake, I don't think u said anything intelligent at all. So u hated the album, ok good, did u want all of us to go "u know what jake, your right"

just my 2 cents

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2006 7:37:42 PM PDT
Gilberto says:
Well in that case is better to hear a Lateralus II instead of another nu-metal crap. i don't understand why you say that this is the worst album ever. all i see is that they are even more mature. of course since their early work on Undertow is only for nu-metal freaks that have in mind a song with only 3 chords and same air and when you turn on the radio you don't know whos playing coz all bands sound the same but you keep your head moving back and foward. well Tool already changed all that since Lateralus ...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2006 9:47:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2006 9:51:42 PM PDT
J S Saladd says:
I couldn't agree more. I've listened to (or heard, whichever is preferable here) to this entire album. MJK's vocals are no longer powerful enough to sooth and comfort; the vocals on this album have to compete with the drum cymbals and Maynard's lyrics are almost completely unintelligible, reducing his effect to mere irksome and irritating. He probably could have played a flute instead, and I would have been more impressed. In fact, on track 4, the thunder sound effects were more refreshing than the vocals. I truly would have expected much more from a band like Tool; but this is rehashed material, and not even in quality form. I think the band needs to hear these messages. Please don't misunderstand, if Mr. Keenan has a message he is trying to get out to the world and if it is nearly as prophetic as stated in other posts in this discussion, then he needs to put it out in a way where he can at least be understandable (whether the message is understood or not). This is the biggest disappointment for me....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2006 10:29:14 PM PDT
C. Fetz says:
Just wanna put this in real fast... if you don't think it's his voice, listen to the song Lateralus. His voice sounds rougher than Maynard of Stinkfist, Aenema, Sober, or any of his work with APC, yet it is Maynard. Ever listened to Ticks & Leeches? The man can sing in more than one style...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 3:16:30 PM PDT
Cracker says:
YES THERE IS>.... your A MORON.... THERES A HUGE DIFFERENCE..... if you hear something you do not take it in...... you just HEAR IT!!!!! MORON.... if you actually LISTEN TO SOMETHING OR SOMEBODY... than you take it in... and understand it YOU F*CKIN MORONIC BAST*RD

well, let's make this real simple

this is the first definition of "listen" in a Webster's Dictionary

:to make a conscious effort to hear

being logical will make you sound only half as stupid as you are, and less of a prick

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 3:55:13 PM PDT
Jake says:
Gary..... I NEVER SAID im right.... in fact all ive said is that im not right... and neither are you.... its my opinion.... the only fact is Tool-fans are the way that ive said.... you cant question that.... learn to read... and LISTEN

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 3:57:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 30, 2006 3:57:22 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 3:58:36 PM PDT
Jake says:
Cracker: this is the first definition of "listen" in a Webster's Dictionary

:to make a conscious effort to hear

EXACTLY... your CONCIOUSLY making an effort to hear.... BECAUSE... YOU WANT TO HEAR IT...... YOU CAN HEAR THINGS WHEN YOUR SLEEPING...... but you're not conciously making an effort to hear it..... your point is INVALID.....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 6:23:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2006 6:32:44 PM PDT
Roger Kint says:
In the Guitar World Interview, Adam Jones said they mixed Maynards voice to be more equal with the music and in the back instead of right out front like they usually do.

And as for the "filler," Lost Keys is the introductory piece to Rosetta Stoned just like on Aenema where Intermission was the introductory piece for Jimmy. Read the Lost Keys lyrics and they tie into Rosetta Stoned and make for a interesting story if you will. As for the rest, since Aenema, there have always been interesting pieces that are placed on the album for specific reasons known only to Tool and in my opinion, they always work well.

As for the album as a whole, I think its a perfect meld of the aggression and passion of aenema and the technical music and quiet intelligence of lateralus. Take that as you might, but if you hear similarities, I believe that is why.

Everyone has their own opinions on Tools music, and for the most part, people love it because its deeper than your average "hard" band, and thats why they have lasted so long. If anyone does their homework, they have out lasted every band that came out in '93, including huge names such as, I don't know, anybody remember Rage Against the Machine. So if you disagree, say so, but say so inteligently, picking fights is pointless.

Finally, in my opinion, Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days has to be the greatest tribute ever written in music, and does anyone beside me detect a hint of him softening his opinion on religion a bit, just a thought.

Cheers

DISCLAIMER: I am not the most talented speller, deal with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 8:19:32 PM PDT
Rob R. Gower says:
It is NOT maynard. Some people posted an album called 10,000 days under the band name of Tool, but it is actually a band called Counterfist, who try their hardest to sound like tool. So ha ha you were all fooled!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 8:20:38 PM PDT
Rob R. Gower says:
You need to calm down, the album that was put out on the net early was actually from a band called Counterfist. Some nasty trick I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 8:21:39 PM PDT
Rob R. Gower says:
ITS NOT MAYNARD!!!! YOu would know if it was maynard or not. If you listen to tool that is. The album by counterfist must have reached many people for all these people to be commenting on it. Great Marketing scheme huh!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 8:22:46 PM PDT
Rob R. Gower says:
That is a Maynard copycat and the band is NOT, I repeat NOT tool. Get it together guys! Would tool put out a sub par album that went back to the days of Undertow? no i don't think so! Tool is about evolution, so buy the album is see for yourself

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 8:24:44 PM PDT
Rob R. Gower says:
HUH? You like no doubt over tool? Wierd! Listen to this, the album everyone in this discussion is arguing over is not the new tool release, it is an album by a band called Counterfist. They sound a little like tool but don't match their quality, which is evident since nobody thinks it sounds like maynard. First of all, the singer for Counterfist cannot sing like maynard, he tries, and he does a horrible job of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 8:25:27 PM PDT
Rob R. Gower says:
If you have heard the new tool album, you would know. It is AMAZING!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 10:05:44 PM PDT
i kind of agree with you here buddy! maynards's voice does sound very different , which i don't really like it, because makes the band sound like any other of this regular bands out there, and tool is just not a regular band,maynard's souful and deep voice is what complements and uniques the band. when i first heard vicarious, i went like: this is not maynard!!!!!!!!! and if it is , why he is sounding like that?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 10:26:56 PM PDT
R. Collins says:
I belive it is Maynard, listen to opiate and undertow, Maynard has such and amazing voice that he could do just about anything. But tool does like to mess with people, so there is a chance, but i still think it is the one and only Maynard.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2006 6:45:36 AM PDT
Roger Kint says:
Ok, try this buddy. Maynard called into Chicago's q101 to apologize for their sold out show on May 13th and gave them permission to play Jambi as well as Vicarious, and guess what, the Jambi he allowed them to play is the same Jambi thats been leaked. What we've all been listening to is Tool, not counterfist.

And since when is a talented artist not allowed to try new things...does Lateralus sound anything like Undertow? Not at all, but its still tool and still Maynard.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2006 5:23:16 PM PDT
Cracker says:
Dildo: EXACTLY... your CONCIOUSLY making an effort to hear.... BECAUSE... YOU WANT TO HEAR IT...... YOU CAN HEAR THINGS WHEN YOUR SLEEPING...... but you're not conciously making an effort to hear it..... your point is INVALID.....

the point is that just because you make a conscious effort to hear something does not mean you will hear it

and I believe the point of the original post by whoever is that "hearing" is actually taking the music in, while "listening" is only trying to do so, or something like that

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2006 9:53:58 PM PDT
dork

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2006 10:35:22 AM PDT
Anonymous says:
You are an idiot

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2006 10:08:14 PM PDT
yooling says:
I forgive you.<p>
You must've been high<p>
when you posted that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2006 11:41:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2006 11:42:23 PM PDT
hahaha your a friggin dumba$$ man. You just got owned by like 50 ppl for one topic
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  10,000 Days forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Apr 25, 2006
Latest post:  May 6, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
10,000 Days
10,000 Days by Tool (Audio CD - 2006)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (1,135)