5.0 out of 5 stars too many confused evaluations
Published 17 months ago by Gordon R. Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Clock's Display Different Than Pictured
Published 18 months ago by Steven Masakowski

5.0 out of 5 stars too many confused evaluations, July 5, 2013
When you read reviews from everyone about this product, you will wonder if they are talking about different products... and you would be right. Some reviews say you cannot dim the LED lights. You cannot dim the one with the red LED lights, you CAN dim the one with the green or blue LED lights. That is stated in the descriptions of this product. You need to pay attention when you read and then decide to purchase. Some reviews also say that there is a leading zero in front of the time. I have the 16 inch green LED product, and I assure you there is no leading 0 in front of any numbers ever. As this photo shows, 9:34 in the morning displays as 9:34, NOT 09:34. I do recommend the green LED color simply because the green wavelength focuses more properly into your eye. The red lights and the blue lights do have a slight off focus appearance, not because of any defect with the product, but because those colors are at the extreme end of the color spectrum that our eyes are capable of seeing. The eye with its optical aberrations do not focus the red or blue light on to the retina as precisely as does the green which is more close to the center of the color spectrum (green/yellow). The LED light IS very bright and I have selected the middle brightness setting for my use. This product is excellent and does everything that they claim. It has a very solid feel and appears to be of very good quality.

2.0 out of 5 stars Clock's Display Different Than Pictured, June 25, 2013
I just received this clock and was quite disappointed with the clock display. The example of the clock shown on Amazon is very misleading. The unlit portions of the LED Digits are white and do not blend in against the black background of the clock as depicted in the pictures of the clock shown on the Amazon web site. And when I say white, I mean white, not clear or gray. These unlit LED lights are very distracting and ugly to be truthful next to lit LED green digits that show time, day of week and date. It actually cheapens the display. When not plugged in to an outlet, the display shows 4 white figure eights where the time is displayed and 3 blocks of white dots where the day, month and date is displayed. I purchased this clock for an elderly person with bad eye sight. If she's happy with the clock I'll keep it. Otherwise it's going back. If I purchased this clock for myself, I would definitely return it.

UPDATE: Two photos of the dbtech clock I purchase were published. Click on the link see all customer images. Mine are titled "dbtech clock unplugged" and "dbtech clock plugged in".

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated Review, December 26, 2012
Eric Sattler (MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ivation Big Oversized Digital Blue LED Calendar Clock with Day and Date - Shelf or Wall Mount (12 Inches - Blue Led) (Electronics)
My original feedback is below. I must say that I am impressed with the seller, because after they read my review, they contacted me directly to apologize for sending an older model, the deficiencies with which have been corrected in the newer model (dimmable display and no leading zero on the time display). They replaced the old model with a new one, and sent the new one before asking me to send the old one back. Very accommodating, and impressive service. Nice to know there are still some sellers out there who care about customers getting what they expect. My mother, who is aging and becoming increasingly forgetful, is the envy of the floor in her retirement community for having a clock that tells her the day and date. She loves it and thanks me for it every time we visit.
---------
If this was one of the first digital clocks ever made, I would be impressed, but two major flaws I see within a minute of plugging it in: 1) During the 18 hours of the day when the hour should be a single digit (1-9), this clock displays a leading zero -- e.g., 09:21 (not 9:21 as shown in the prodcut photo). Really? I have owned dozens of digital clocks and watches since the '70s, and they had that complicaed algorithm figured out already back then. 2) The brightness of the display cannot be adjusted - it is permanently set to the "retina burn" setting. Again, the concept of a dimmable display is not new, but aparently not in the $80 per unit budget. Disappointing at best. I am amazed there are not more (better) options for clocks that display day and date.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW !!! BIG CLOCK, August 13, 2012
Great clock for the elderly especially with memory issues. Large bright lit numbers are easy to read even across a large room and the month and day are in word format which is a big plus. So far everyone that saw it wanted one too, I also enjoy the blue LED instead of the traditional red because it is less strainfull on the eyes. Would highly recommend for the elderly or people with poor vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for Dad, July 15, 2012
My Dad is bedridden and sleeps on and off all day. With this clock, he knows if it's the same day now... Helps him with his Meds too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pixels in date panel dying one-by-one, June 28, 2013
When I first got it, the clock worked and looked great. There is a "0" in front of the hours (i.e. 09:20am), but that is OK.

But after a couple weeks, one of the pixels went out for the "1" in the first digit of the date. I though I could live with it, but now at least 4 pixels have died in that same panel and it looks ugly. For a clock this expensive, it shouldn't have dead pixels so that you can't read one of the date numbers

I contacted the seller about the problem, but was ignored

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for visually impaired and elderly, November 16, 2012
I purchased this clock for my 86 year old Aunt that has macular degneration and showing signs of dementia. She was having trouble seeing her smaller clocks...but mainly purchased this clock for all of the information it provides. My aunt was calling people several times a day to ask what day it was, or what month it was. This clock solved several of her problems all at once. We love hearing from her and now it's about more than the day and time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Clock, September 6, 2012
Clock was good size. Letters and numbers show even when direct sunlight falls on the face of the clock. Accurate even when you lose power. Might be bright for a small room that you need to sleep in, but we use it in an office and it works very well there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Bright!, September 14, 2012
Rhonda J. Young (Crowder, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This is a really big clock with really bright numbers!
It's a veritable night light! Perfect for my daughter's
room. We love it that the time stays current, even when
the power goes out and comes back on (which happens A LOT
where we live)!

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea - needs improvements - Does not work for moderate dementia, October 16, 2013
I have an 80 year old mom with low vision and mild to moderate dementia. I had high hopes for this product but ended up returning both.

16 Inch Red
-Red lit portions of the clock hard to distinguish from the unlit portions of the clock. Even in relatively dim 60 watt lighting, the red bars that were unlit were so easy to see, so it was hard to figure out what was and was not lit. Easy enough to figure out without dementia. With dementia? It just leads to lots of questions.
-Calendar Portion of display is nearly white when unlit - not like in the picture where it is shown nearly black. Again, leading to lots of confusion. Difficult to tell what is lit or not making it difficult for someone to figure out what it says.
-Light nearby the AM PM also confusing to dementia mom.
-Crazy large. Dimensions are accurate but until you try to set it on a shelf, it's hard to imagine just how HUGE this is. A 'in context' photo might help.
-I ended up returning it.

16 Inch Green
-MUCH, MUCH easier to see than Red clock. Still not as good as what is shown in the pictures. You can still see the green bars that are not lit but it's much more obvious what is lit vs. non-lit even at the dimmest setting.
-Calendar portion still has a mostly white background - not black. Making it easy for a dementia person to still not 'get' what they are seeing. Would be much better if background was actually a matte black like the photo makes it appear.
-LED lights that make up the colon (this symbol :) between the time numbers are incredibly BRIGHT. Leading to complaints from dementia mom. Sigh. Even at the dimmest setting, the colon is somewhat painful on the eyes. Not sure why they choose lights here with such a different brightness than the rest of the clock.
-Lit AM and PM symbols much easier for dementia mom to understand. These are not too bright.
-I ended up returning it.

I'm trying one more time with the 12" green clock. Fingers crossed.

27-Oct-2013
12 Inch Green

-I'm keeping this one but it still doesn't do what I hoped it would do. I wanted a clock my dementia mom could look at and figure out the date so she'd know to take her pills or look at her calendar to see events planned for her
-She can read the time ok but not the date information. I think the 'dot matrix' format of the letters and numbers just doesn't compute in her dementia brain. She tries but just can't figure out what they say. The clock numbers are easy for her but she can't figure out the numbers that make up the date. She'll look at one and get it but not the second number. A minute later, she can get the second number but not the first. Sad and depression.
Also, there's really no spacing between the three letter abbreviation for Day and the three letter abbreviation for month. So, she just can't understand to separate them.
-I don't think this would be an issue with someone with just low vision and not dementia but not 100% sure. The dots kinda swim - even in my eyes - so they may swim to someone with low vision too - making it hard to nee the number they are supposed to represent. (Kinda like you can't see the forest through the trees. All the dots are the trees making it hard to see the shape of number/letter they are supposed to represent.)

Still looking for automated calendar someone with dementia can understand.