5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!
Ivy and Bean is my favorite kids series to read with my first grader. Reminiscent of the Ramona series, Ivy and Bean contains characters with good hearts and kid reasoning that occasionally causes trouble. We have loved every one of these books.

Published on October 7, 2010 by Susan E. Burris

3.0 out of 5 stars too big of a topic for some 6-7 year olds
Published on April 16, 2012 by mek

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, October 7, 2010

Ivy and Bean What's the Big Idea does not disappoint. Reading this book aloud I actually laughed so hard we had to stop reading for a few minutes. The chapters are short, the vocabulary is manageable and the characters are admirable, and the message is positive. I wish there were 100 books in this series. Unlike the Junie B. Jones series, the characters are well-behaved and have good intentions. Although they have flawed reasoning, they have good hearts and try to good.

My only complaint (and it is really my daughter's complaint) is that the cover is misleading. The girls never mix anything in beakers. The illustration on the cover of our book has the girls' teeth looking strangely gray.

Annie Barrows has a gift with words and children relate to her. I highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars too big of a topic for some 6-7 year olds, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Ivy and Bean What's the Big Idea? (Book 7) (Paperback)
I just read this with my daughter. We LOVE Ivy and Bean and usually we laugh out loud so hard. But this one was different. It provided a lot of information about global warming and that was very disturbing for my daughter, who is 7. The book focuses on the effects of global warming on animals and nature, but my daughter made the link to people and was really disturbed by the fact that the people who are making global warming pollution (us, primarily) are not the ones who are going to feel most of the impacts (she asked specifically about people in Africa). When we were done with the book, she asked a million questions and I felt like I had to answer truthfully but still tried to put an optimistic spin on the issue. Even so, we were both depressed afterward and she doesn't want to read Ivy and Bean anymore.
That said, the book provides a way to broach a very difficult topic with kids and the information is accurate and truthful. I appreciate that the author didn't sugar coat such a serious topic. She empowers kids as well and shows how they can change adults and the world.
I just wish we had been ready to such a serious topic - its like reading a book about cancer - you want to know what you are getting into rather than expecting to laugh for the next half hour and instead ending up in tears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Series, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Ivy and Bean What's the Big Idea? (Book 7) (Paperback)
My seven year old is a big reader and loves this series. I find the books to be fun and cute without the words being too difficult. The only downside for us is that my daughter is reading them faster than they're being written. I wouldn't suggest this as an independent reader for newer readers (those just coming out of the Step readers etc) unless you are reading it with them. We like to pick one book to read together and take turns reading pages. I've found that it helps my daughter remember what she's read more and I get a better sense of what the books are about without having to pre-read them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Mother Daughter Book Club. com, December 9, 2010
Ivy and Bean are friends even though they are opposite in many ways. Bean is loud and rambunctious and full of crazy ideas. Ivy is quiet and thoughtful and often willing to help Bean try out some of her wild plans.

When they come together to work on a science project in Ivy + Bean: What's the Big Idea, they are determined to find a solution for global warming.

I loved how the two girls started coming up with ideas for how they could help global warming without asking adults first whether their solution was really workable or not. The things they and their classmates dreamed up seemed exactly like what second-graders would come up with. The kids in Ivy and Bean's class had family members holding their breath to cut down on carbon dioxide, built robots that attacked litterbugs, and threw ice cubes in the air to cool down the atmosphere.

And as a parent veteran of quite a few science projects myself, I was interested to see that the projects were all child-conceived and child-driven. From my experience, that's rarely the case in school science fairs. The drawings illustrate the action beautifully, and show some of Bean's whimsical imaginings too. This is the seventh book in the popular Ivy + Bean series, which is written by Annie Barrows and illustrated by Sophie Blackall. It's sure to please young readers just as much as the previous titles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, July 31, 2014
I remember reading these when I was younger, they were some of my favorites. Ivy and Bean are two young girls with very creative ideas. This time, they had to come up with a science project that had to do with global warming. They tried many ideas, before finally settling on one in the end of the book.
Because I'm not of the suggested reading age for these books, they didn't completely gold my interest. The plots are simple, due to these being early chapter books. Still, it was cute. It is not my favorite of the series, however.
I would suggest this series to parents who want their children to be interested in reading. Both young girls and young boys would enjoy them

5.0 out of 5 stars Ya gotta love ivy and bean, September 8, 2014
Ivy and bean are back with more jokes and creative minds!!!!

The science fair is coming up at ivy And beans school,and the fifth graders are teaching global warming to the third graders.
Ivy and bean are interested in saving global warming,so they decide too do there science fair objects on it,or so they think.
But,what happens when there are no ideas for the project as the fair grows nearer and nearer?Well,you'll have too read to find out!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12, 2014
funny

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not the best I've read, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Ivy and Bean What's the Big Idea? (Book 7) (Paperback)
I liked the "save the environment" suggestions at the end of the book, but the story wasn't as interesting as some of the others I've read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books, May 11, 2014
This review is from: Ivy and Bean What's the Big Idea? (Book 7) (Paperback)
My 7 year old daughter loves these books she reads them everyday. And soon they will be passed on to her baby brother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Book, April 12, 2014
My 8 year old loves the series. She thinks they are a funny read. Takes her 30-40 minuets to read.

Ivy and Bean What's the Big Idea? (Book 7)
Ivy and Bean What's the Big Idea? (Book 7) by Annie Barrows (Paperback - September 7, 2011)
$5.99 $5.23