5.0 out of 5 stars very many tantalizing recipes to try
although I haven't prepared any recipes from this book - got it yesterday, the book features recipes of easy to prepare authentic Japanese cuisine (here pub food) using simple, humble ingredients. Looking at the photos and imagininig how the dishes taste gets my mouth-watering. Practically every recipe is accompanied by a photograph.

I'd rate this book higher...
Published 18 months ago by casey

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor recipes
Most of the recipes are not to my taste even though I enjoyed bar food immensely when I was in a bar in Japan.
Published 13 months ago by George L. Adleman

5.0 out of 5 stars very many tantalizing recipes to try, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Izakaya: Japanese bar food (Hardcover)

I'd rate this book higher than other books written in English on Japanese pub food in terms of number of recipes for me to try at home with family and guests. Practically every recipes appeals to me.

FYI, there are more recipes including "meat" versus dishes show casing seafood. But there's also a good number of vegetable and sweet (dessert) recipes to balance out any menü. Imagine Japanese style chiles relleños in tempura batter or brown rice tea (genmai cha) ice cream. And those are just the tip of the ice berg.

Will follow up with later review regarding succes preparing the recipes at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely written, beautifully photograpghed. Just one problem..., March 6, 2014
This review is from: Izakaya: Japanese bar food (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book. It was nicely divided between salads, skewers and sweets. The photos were simply stunning. I automatically give high marks to any cookbook that shows pictures of what the finished dish is supposed to look like. But the title says 'Japanese Bar Food'. That might give some people the impression you can create dishes like you get in an American bar (i.e., a big plate of wings with lots of celery and dip, or burger 'sliders' with fries). The dishes presented here are simple and elegant, but LIGHT. In other words, simple appetizers or what the Spanish would call 'tapas' or finger food. They're not really intended to be full meals.

Most of the recipes are easy to do, although some of the ingredients may take some work to track down. Good luck with the lotus root. Unless you live close to an Asian market, I doubt you can find that one. Many of the recipes call for dashi, which is easy to make yourself (water, kombu and bonito flakes) or just use the dashi powder, available from various sellers here on Amazon. The ponzu sauce, used in a number of recipes, is just a blend of soy sauce, rice vinegar, lemon and lime juice, bonito flakes, sugar and mirin. In short, the cooking will be easy, once you jump the hurdle of securing the actual ingredients. Just keep in mind these dishes are mostly appetizers and finger food, not full meals or dinners. The recipes are easy to follow, the photos are nothing short of eye candy. Well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!!!, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Izakaya: Japanese bar food (Hardcover)
I love this book and am so happy to have added it to my collection. Great recipes and tips for Izakaya style foods!

5.0 out of 5 stars eye appeal, September 11, 2013
This review is from: Izakaya: Japanese bar food (Hardcover)
This was a gift to my daughter who says that she wants to make every recipe in the book and she will.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty pictures, October 4, 2013
This review is from: Izakaya: Japanese bar food (Hardcover)
the photos in the book are very nice. I do an awful lot of Japanese cooking, and am always looking for new recipes to try out. I find the recipes in the book to be a little bit wanting but I still liked the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor recipes, August 19, 2013

Izakaya: Japanese bar food
Izakaya: Japanese bar food by Izakaya (Hardcover - February 12, 2013)
$19.95 $17.96