Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Style Name: Plastic Steam Head|Change

on February 5, 2008
I'll make it simple: If you are looking for a home-edition garment steamer, your top 2 choices in the marketplace will likely be the Jiffy 2000 and the Rowenta 8100.

I tested both for 10 hours; on a 1 to 10 scale:

Jiffy (Looks = 6; Engineering = 10; Handling = 9; Craftsmanship = 10).
It looks like a mop bucket on wheels but it performs like a jet engine; every part of this machine from the plate at the bottom of the unit to the steam handle is built for rugged usage.

Rowenta (Looks = 10; Engineering = 5; Handling = 7; Crafsmanship = 4).
It looks like a UFO but performs like a Pinto with much less steaming power; it is built as a toddler's toy having most parts made with inexpensive plastic including the watertank base and valve: pull the machine a single foot OR tilt it a mere 1 inch and you will experience a slow-building cascade.

Buy the Rowenta 8100 as a decorative piece to make your closet look good.

Buy the Jiffy 2000 as a garment steamer to make your clothes look good.
3131 comments|1,612 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2004
After figuring out that I must be spending in excess of $1000 yearly to have my husband's oxford shirts cleaned and pressed, I decided to cut my losses and purchase a Jiffy steamer.

I am happy with the purchase, so much so that I routinely steam garments that I would not have ironed in the past (t-shirts especially come out looking store-bought new), and it takes very little time.

I have used the steamer on prom dresses with great success.

I am able to press a knife-edged crease in dress pants of all types of material.

I think the best thing about this appliance is that I feel I am damaging our clothing LESS than if I were using an iron.

Don't throw away your iron, however! I must still use it to finish off the collars and shoulders of my husband's work shirts.
77 comments|404 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2005
After borrowing a friend's ConAir steamer, and reading numerous reviews, I purchased this Jiffy from Amazon about a month ago. The Jiffy seems to be better-built than the ConAir, and puts out more steam, more consistantly than the model I borrowed.

In the last month, I have steamed everything I can think of in my house, to see how it works. I have been pleased with this product, and here is what I have learned:

1) A steamer is not an iron. While I have read reviews of how you can press creases into clothing, I have not been successful in this (yet). I don't really care about creases, though, and have not spent much time trying.

2) A steamer is a tool. You have to learn how to use it properly to get good results. Steaming from underneath works better than steaming downward into the right side of the fabric. Just like anyone who uses a hammer a few times is almost certainly going to hammer their finger, you will probably burn yourself while you are learning to use a steamer. When I first started using the steamer, I wanted to steam upwards, like I iron. It was counter-inuitive for me, but it works better to steam downwards.

3) Wrinkles really do fall out of fabrics, but this seems to only happen with synthetic fibers or blends with a high percentage of synthetics. If I had trouble ironing it, it will take some work to steam it. However, I always iron in more wrinkles than I take out, so for natural or difficult fabrics, I do a better job with a steamer. Fabrics that I was afraid to iron (too thin/delicate) steam beautifully.

Now, about the Jiffy J-2000 specifically:

This steamer heats up very quickly, in just two or three minutes. I like to turn it on while I decide what to wear, and by the time I get it all together, it is ready to use. The wattage (1300) is slightly higher than most personal steamer models and makes a big difference in how quickly you can finish a garment.

The steamer is very sturdily built. It uses heavy-duty plastics, and comes with a wrench (magnetically attached underneath the steamer body) to secure the parts tightly. The pole that holds the steamer head and clothing is shorter than I would personally like (and the hose is a little shorter, too) and stands about 5 feet. I could not steam all the way to the top of my curtains, while they were mounted to the wall. The water reservoir does not leak, although when you pull it out, some water does remain in the connection area, but not enough to make a mess.

The list price on amazon for the steamer was 169.99, quite a deal more than most of the other steamers listed on Amazon. I purchased mine with a special 25$ off through Amazon, so paid 145$. I think that it is worth that price. I would not pay this much for the ConAir model that I borrowed. In a year, I may think the Jiffy is worth the Amazon list price.
22 comments|468 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2007
Just got my steamer after a year+ hiatus since my Rowenta's plastic head cracked off. WOW, what a difference, for almost the same price! My advice: DO NOT bother with a steamer that has a plastic head. Over time, it will melt, crack, irreparably fall off-->the end for your steamer. There were no replacement parts for my Rowenta, & its ability to remove wrinkles was underwhelming, so I just didn't bother replacing it. The Jiffy J2000 is easier to use: The tank pulls out & replaces easily, no levers or locks to undo. The tank opening is big, no funnel needed, holds about a gallon. It heats within a minute to steaming. The metal head gets steaming hot, so you essentially have a combination of a hand-held iron and a steamer (the instructions do stress the importance of contact between the head and the fabric for best results). The handle is big and wooden, so its comfortable & cool. The unit itself is easy to roll on casters, not bulky, so it's easy to use in my very small laundry room. Be aware that if you haven't used a steamer before, the tubing gets very hot & may burn a little one (or you)--teach kids to stay away as soon as you get this out of the box! You will get billowing clouds of steam, & it WORKS, even on jeans! This is a very quiet unit, too, so you can steam while the kids sleep or do homework, Dad watches TV, etc. And if you want to hold your hanging garment by a corner to keep it steady or straighten it while steaming, I would strongly suggest an oven mitt, or just using a metal or wood tong to keep your hand out of the way entirely. That's the voice of experience, having scalded my fingers a few times! DON'T touch the hot steam head & keep it & the hose away from your anatomy. No attachments come with this steamer. The instruction book shows several attachments that can be ordered thru the Jiffy website to make this a steam cleaner (bathroom, floors, etc), hat steamer, etc, as well as a garment steamer. An extended 3 YEAR warranty is also offered on top of the 1 year warranty, for $34.99 on [..]. Can't beat this deal!
11 comment|277 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2005
First of all, I have to say that I was skeptical about using a steamer to get wrinkles out of my clothes. I once purchased an inexpensive travel steamer and found that it was completely worthless. It produced steam, but it did nothing to remove wrinkles. I was convinced that the only thing I could do to make my clothes wrinkle-free was to iron or use the dry cleaners.

After doing some research on different models of steamers and reading remarks online, I have to say that I still wasn't completely convinced that steaming would work. But I was desperate. My dry cleaning bill is easily $80 every month, and I needed to find another option.

I finally came across the Jiffy Steamer brand. The online reviews were positive. I figured that since they have been in business since 1940 as "the world's oldest and largest manufacturer of steaming equipment", they must be doing something right.

I decided to bite the bullet and buy one. When I received it, I opened the box and was able to assemble it with the enclosed wrench without any problems. I noticed right away the "industrial" look of the unit. The base is very sturdy and impressive. The hose at first seemed stiff and unyielding, however once I turned the unit on and steam flowed through it, it was flexible and easy to work with.

The test: I pulled together my pile of wrinkled clothes that I was ready to take to the cleaners. I filled the reservoir tank with regular tap water, plugged the unit in, and flipped the switch. Literally, within a minute or so, I had steam coming from the head.

I hung my wrinkled silk shirt on a hanger, which I then put on the hook. I put the steam head to my shirt and to my surprise.... it worked!! The wrinkles just disappeared. I then proceeded to steam the rest of my clothes. Again, I had the same great results.

I am very happy with my steamer. It is expensive, but with my dry cleaning bill being $80 a month, it paid for itself in a little over 2 months. I can't say it eliminates dry-cleaning altogether, because it doesn't clean your clothes. But, if like me, you use the dry cleaner because your clothes become a wrinkled mess after wearing them and you need to look "polished" at work, this may be just what your looking for.

Another suggestion to consider: Jiffy Steamer also sells accessories, and one thing that caught my eye was a Steamboard. It is a flat board that has a hanger attached to it at the top. You can hang the board on a wall or a door, so that you can have a flat surface to press the steam head up against when steaming your clothes. Useful if you want to press seams on pants or long sleeved shirts. It's pricey, so I asked my husband if he could make me one instead!
22 comments|166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2011
I am a wardrobe stylist and this is the steamer I use... let me give you some tips.

Up front, please know that a steamer will not give you the crispness that you get from an iron. It will, however, get out most wrinkles pretty well. If you need crisp shirts, this is probably not for you. Although it is an extra step, when needed, I steam my shirts and then use the iron. The dampness in the shirt seems to make the ironing easier and go a bit faster.

The key is to steam your garments from the inside. Put the shirt/pant on a hanger, button the top button, and hang it from the steamer.(Actually, I hang mine from the shower curtain bar, it puts the shirt at eye level and is more stable.) I usually start at the shoulders and work my way down. If you hold taut, the section of the garment that you are steaming, it helps to sort of pull out the wrinkles. Keep the wand vertical with the steam vents facing out horizontally and upward. Make sure the hose stays vertical so that condensed water inside doesn't slide out onto your garment. Working from the outside contributes to spitting because you have the tendency to hold the vents downward. However, with skinny pant legs and sleeves, you have to go at it from the outside, just remember to keep the steamer vents facing upward. Also, it is important is to give your freshly steamed garment time to "dry". It needs time for the water to evaporate. If you are in a hurry you can use a hairdryer to help speed things along.

Spitting steamers are a bummer, if you have one that does this, try covering the end of the steamer wand with a nylon stocking or a lightweight sock, this helps by catching the water. Spitting usually happens with old steamers and shouldn't happen when it's new. If needed, you can dry any water spots with that hair dryer mentioned above. Also, do not buy the larger capacity steamer, bigger is not better, it takes too long to heat up and you can always refill the water bottle. A full "tank" usually lasts about 45 minutes and you probably won't be steaming for that long anyway.

Lastly, be careful, that bugger gets hot. NEVER steam something that you, or anyone else is wearing. It is way too easy to burn yourself.

Have fun!
on January 3, 2004
Speed through ironing and remove all wrinkles in record time. A waste of money? You don't need an ironing board or an iron and you'll save a lot of time and will not damage your clothes. I bought this because ironing is tough to do unless you have a lot of patience and experience. No more shiny pants from too hot ironing. In fact it's fun to use.
Now my confession. I took a $2000 pair of drapes, and put them in the washer (cold cycle) and then the drier (for linens). Duh! I did it because they were yellow from smoke and if I was going to spend hundreds, I would spend another $2000 if the experiment didn't work. Hadn't had them cleaned in five years. The drapes were clean as a whistle, but wrinkled like a prune. The Jiffy Steamer dewringled them in 20 minutes flat after they were rehung.
The unit arrived with a broken caster. One phone call to customer service and a new one arrived in three days, and they didn't ask for the serial or model number.
Wait! There's more. I have a DeLonghi Steam Cleaner (I give it four stars), but I decided to use the garment steamer to remove grease from my George Foreman grill. That's because the garment cleaner head is hotter than hell on contact. It cleaned the grill fast! Encouraged, I used it to steam grease out of the oven. Worked fast! Then I used it to remove grease and old food from the rubber matts that line the sinks. Within a few seconds it actually boiled the residual water that lay in the sink! I took a tea bag and made tea with the boiled! OK. Now I'm lying.
1414 comments|418 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2008
First let me clear something up; my husband's shirts still get sent to the cleaners for ironing. Having said that let me proceed with the review.
As many have already said this does not replace ironing and you will not get the crisp look an iron leaves (although if you hang a hook over a door with a towel you can actually "press" the garment against it and make somewhat of a crease on it).
I am a housewife with two kids and although my husband's clothes are always professionally ironed mine and the kid's are NOT. Since I have the steamer we have gone from the "folded out of the dryer" look to an actually ironed look. I steam everything, their t-shirts and shorts, jeans, my blouses, my husband's polo shirts... it takes the wrinkles away in a second. I can go through a whole load of laundry in about 15 or 20 minutes, and doing it is a breeze.
I have the model with the metal head and it is actually kind of heavy. If you'll be steaming for long periods of time maybe you should consider the plastic model which is noticeably lighter.
I would recommend this steamer to everyone who cannot afford to send every single piece of clothing to be ironed. It really does a great job removing wrinkles (again, it does not replace actual ironing for things like dress shirts and such).
0Comment|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2003
I have always dreaded the chore of ironing (who doesn't?), but, as a working-profesional, had to either iron my own clothes, or put up with expensive trips to the dry cleaner. Then I came across the Jiffy Steamer J-2000 while shopping at my favorite store. It's the wrinkle-removing steamer that the profesionals use, and it has literally changed my life. No longer do I have to haul out the ironing board - now, in just minutes, I effortlessly steam away wrinkles, and my clothes look dry-cleaner fresh. Everyone needs one of these in their home!
11 comment|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2007
I had high hopes for this machine. Especially after having read all the reviews here, I anticipated that this steamer would do away w/ my iron forever. However, as a previous user has said, the steamer isn't an iron and it requires learning different techniques and accepting a different standard of "wrinkle free" (not the crisp kind from irons). After 2 weeks of testing it out, I had to return it. I generally don't spend too much $ on dry cleaning and I don't iron every day so perhaps this wasn't worth the price for the little that I thought I would use (coupled with the fact that it didn't produce crisp looks that I wanted). Plus, I burned myself 3x and maybe was too impatient to learn the technique (which I tried to find online w/o much success... if you have techniques, please share w/ other potential or existing buyers!).

I gave this 3 stars b/c it didn't work out for me but would have given the quality of the machine 4 stars since it's a great, sturdy, strong steamer if that's what you're looking for. It just didn't fulfill my expectations of replacing an iron, which is an unfair expectation since this isn't an iron! If you're the type to need this often and can accept the standard of "wrinkle free" (not iron-crisp), then this may be for you! Btw, if you learn the technique enough, perhaps it can look iron-crisp! I didn't go that far w/ this machine so I wouldn't know.

Back to the iron I go...
44 comments|229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse