5.0 out of 5 stars Feet of Clay, October 12, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: J.F.K. The Man & The Myth (Paperback)
Lasky's book was a best-seller, at least by his standards. But he quickly pulled this book out of print in honor of JFK's sudden death in Dallas. Three years later, he was prompted by some friends to reprint it and added a bitter conclusion to all of the Kennedy years.
As hard-hitting as this book is, he is rather gentlemanly about it and leaves most of the criticisms on the practical and intellectual level. In fact the one he really berates in this book is Arthur Schlesinger in some very funny asides. Back to the point, Lasky ultimately concludes that JFK was an indecisive and feckless President who meant well but didn't do well. And, in spite of what others might say about him, he never amounted to much; only becoming a hero because of his death.
Lasky was the last of an old breed. He simply reports to you what JFK really said and did and leaves out his opinion until the end, in a brutal summation. Factual, but witty and lively, the book is a quick and damning summation that brushes away entirely the Kennedy myth and portrays all of the players, JFK, RFK, and Joseph P. Kennedy in realistic lights.
He could have gone much harsher with the book but he didn't, in fact, it was his other books RFK, The Man and the Myth, and It Didn't Start with Watergate, that reveal more brutal information on his tumultuous tenure in office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kennedy More Myth than Man, June 19, 2013
This review is from: J.F.K. The Man & The Myth (Paperback)
I grew up idolizing JFK. In our Roman Catholic and democratic home he was revered. His death was treated as a death in the family. Because of this I was fascinated by his assassination and did extensive reading on the subject, as well as writing a paper about it in college that counted as my internship requirement. Over the years, as more was revealed about his true character, I began to rethink my view of him. In the past few years I have read several books about him and his brother Bobby. The more I read, the lower my regard for him. Interestingly enough, I recently picked up a free beaten up copy of Lasky's book and found that much of what I have read in newer books were first put forth in J.F.K. the Man & the Myth. I have used the book as the one I read every day on the recumbent bike, so have not yet finished it; however, I find that Lasky cannot be accused of being biased, as I still cannot tell (2/3 of the way through) whether he is liberal or conservative. He criticizes equally from both perspectives, and the criticism is deep and broad from both camps. At this point I find that JFK was simply a bored rich kid who lied and bullied his way to the presidency, because any other job or cause was beneath both his interests and his father's ambition. Notwithstanding his numerous personal vices, the cover up of his Addison's disease alone is a damning fact. But the myth seems to still be going strong, even with the recent disclosure that he had his staff procure the services of a 19 year old virgin that he liquored up and "deflowered" on his wife's bed (Jackie's bed? Go ahead Freudians, have a ball with that one).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 27, 2014
Great read

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great read many times over after 41 years!, November 20, 2004
Jack Maybrick (Shuttling between the streets of Whitechapel and the shadow of Coogan's Bluff) - See all my reviews
This review is from: J.F.K. The Man & The Myth (Paperback)
Makes me hate JFK all over again every time!

J.F.K. The Man & The Myth
J.F.K. The Man & The Myth by Victor Lasky (Paperback - 1963)
Used & New from: $2.57