5.0 out of 5 stars Assembles easily into 'diamond' pattern vs. square shown
Even though the pictures (and the assembly instructions) don't depict it, this kit assembles quite easily such that the openings are in a diamond shape vs. square (turn your head 45 degrees while looking at the picture and you will get the idea).

Published on November 21, 2007 by Davis Walp

3.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE quality control, but good customer service
Based on the overwhelmingly high product reviews this wine rack has on Amazon, I bought it with the anticipation of a quality product. When I attempted to assemble the kit, however, I discovered that the supplied hardware is insufficient to complete the job.

Published on February 10, 2010 by J. Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Assembles easily into 'diamond' pattern vs. square shown, November 21, 2007
This review is from: J.K. Adams Ash Wood 12-Bottle Wine Rack, Natural (Kitchen)

Using a hammer, I assembled two '12 bottle' sets together in this manner, without wood glue or additional fastening, and it sits solidly on my bar, and looks much better in my view.

There are slight downsides though -- you do lose about one bottle capacity assembled this way -- e.g., I can rack 22 bottles vs. 24 had I used the square configuration (this is true because rack sits on a series of trianges must be subtracted from total capacity)
The second downside is that the bottle does not sit firmly cradled between the flat spots of two thick dowels, as it does in the square configuration. Assembled with a diamond opening, it sits on the flat spot of one dowel only, and the bottle either rolls slightly to the left or right, but is still firmly enclosed in its space. No risk of the bottle slipping out or through, it is purely an aesthetic objection, and hardly noticeable. (and I am really picky about such things)

If I have time, I will take a picture and post for others to see. This

5.0 out of 5 stars What a nice little wine rack, June 22, 2005
It's inexpensive. It can be assembled in minutes a variety of different ways to accomodate whatever space you have available and it is attractive. I just ordered a second one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product that is simple to use, June 10, 2007
I have 4 of these kits that I have used to construct the racking system in my wine closet. They are fairly easy to assemble and all of the parts are made to specification so everything fits together well.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm an idiot, this product was great., September 7, 2011
S-Rex (Northern, NJ) - See all my reviews
Completely worth the $90 price tag that I paid for it. It took a while to put together and was made from high quality wood that results in a very sturdy wine rack.

Here are a couple of tips that I learned the hard way for assembling this product.

1. Do not use a rubber mallet you purchase at a dollar store. Use a wood or plastic mallet instead. A rubber mallet just doesn't cut it and leaves rubber marks on the piece.

2. Do not put together on a padded rug, work on a sturdy surface. A solid surface is needed to hit the pegs into the thick pieces without the piece bouncing.

3. Use wood glue sparingly, don't let it drip all over the piece.

4. Work in factors of 2. Put 2 pieces together. Put 2 pieces of 2 together. Put 2 pieces of 4 together etc. . . Otherwise you will have to sneak side connecting pieces in between a mating side.

5. Do not decide to put this together with a baby sleeping nearby. You will have to apologize and stop to take care of the baby. Remember you woke it, you have to put it back to sleep.

3.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE quality control, but good customer service, February 10, 2010

The instructions for assembly indicate that each peg should provide a "friction fit" during assembly, and that if any peg doesn't provide such a fit, to discard it and use another, since enough extras are provided to allow for some defective pegs. I discovered that about one in three or one in four of the pegs could provide a friction fit (not a tight friction fit, but just a friction fit). The remaining pegs turn loosely in the holes, and fall out if the "octobar" into which it is driven (yes, with a hammer) is upended. After a while, I began suspecting that maybe it wasn't just the pegs, but perhaps some of the holes were overlarge. So I started hunting through multiple holes looking for a tight fit, and rotating the bars to try to locate the wider holes towards the outside of the rack, where they wouldn't be used. Still, some pegs were so small that they wouldn't provide a friction fit in any hole, and some holes were so large that no peg could satisfy them.

All told, I was able to assemble slightly more than half of the octobars into two rows of openings, capable of holding some 20 bottles of wine. The box still contains a good number of octobars and a surprisingly high number of rejected pegs.

The instructions indicate, and I quote, that "Glue is usually unnecessary on J.K. Adams wine racks. Our pins are slightly oversized to produce a friction fit which is generally sufficient to insure a tight rack. In a dry environment, however, some wood joints may loosen. If this occurs, add a spot of glue." I'm located in southern California, where we're in the midst of our wettest winter in over a decade. In the last two weeks, our area has seen over 7" of rain (average yearly total = 3"). On the day I was assembling the rack, it was actually raining. So there is no way that I'm in "a dry environment."

I don't want to use glue to hold the remaining components together (and would not be confident in the structural strength thereby achieved - it would be like trying to glue a hot dog into the middle of a hallway). So, now I'm forced to decide whether to keep the 20-something bottle wine rack that I have (after paying for a 40-bottle rack) or deal with the hassle of disassembly and return shipment for a refund.

------ Update 3/11/2010 ------

I contacted customer service for JK Adams, and they were happy to send me out another bag of pins, which from the shipping label, they appear to have custom ordered a little larger than the standard pins. Using these extra, oversized pins, I was able to finish assembling the rack and use all of the 'octobars.' There are still a few less-than-solid connections in the rack, but hopefully nothing that causes the whole thing to come apart. Based on the experience, I'm upping my review to 3 stars, because the finished product is pretty good (four stars), and the customer service was helpful (five stars), but the hassle of receiving a defective product wasn't exactly great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what it looks like, June 26, 2007
This review is from: J.K. Adams Ash Wood 12-Bottle Wine Rack, Natural (Kitchen)
I didn't need anything except a rubber mallet to put this together. I didn't glue it, since I wasn't sure of the configuration I would prefer. I gave it a "step down" effect, which turned out just right. It's sturdy and unobtrusive. I bet I add more to it later on.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Easy to Assemble overall Excellent, October 13, 2007
Cablover (Massachusetts, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: J.K. Adams Ash Wood 12-Bottle Wine Rack, Natural (Kitchen)
I purchased two of these to add to the larger one of the same brand that was given to me a a gift.
J.K. Adams wine racks fit together well and are very stable after assembly. Unlike some others, the rack accomodates odd-shaped bottles. As a plus it's easily expandable. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars J.K. Adams 12-Bottle Wine Rack, August 28, 2007
This review is from: J.K. Adams Ash Wood 12-Bottle Wine Rack, Natural (Kitchen)
I purchased this item over 20 years ago, and it is still great. I purchased this set to add to my existing rack. The best part about this is that it is sturdy and can be configured any way you like. In my old house, I configured it to wedge under cabinets in the kitchen. In my current house, it is configured to sit under a parsons table. I am a very fussy consumer and highly recommend this product if you like the design. Great product !

Update in 2014: Still loving the rack in a new house. I broke it down into multiple pieces and have wine racks in cabinets in the kitchen and one on top of the counter for the bottles that are open. I am recommending this to my brother because he has olive oil bottles that are the same size as wine bottles. He has a gap in between two cabinets in his kitchen, and I thought he could stack one vertical rack in between the cabinets for storage and easy access while he is cooking. My sister had space in between her fridge and cabinet and created wine storage there. Very, very versatile. It is only limited by your imagination. I highly recommend this rack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, June 10, 2007
Donna Ullrich (E. Lansing, MI USA) - See all my reviews
It was fun to build - a blast from my tinker toy past.

It fit in two tiers above my kitchen cupboards. So much nicer looking than fake green plants up there.

The shipment arrived very quickly; the packaging was excellent and the directions a breeze.

Highly recommend these for people who are looking for a flexible system of wine storage.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid rack, and a good day-long project, January 27, 2009
J.K. Adams MWR-40 Hardwood 40-Bottle Wine Rack, Natural

I purchased this rack to fill a specific space in an under-counter cabinet in my kitchen. The great appeal is the ability to adapt the configuration to accommodate just about any space. Because the rack had to span a width greater than the width of the two doors and the doors were separated by a vertical divider, I had to assemble the rack in sections outside the cabinet, and then put it together inside. Quite a task for a 71-year old, relatively inflexible body. I strongly recommend reading the directions thoroughly, and carefully planning the steps beforehand if you are planning a project of this size. Particularly important is the advice to assemble smaller components first, and then connect them in the final installation. Also, when glueing, it is only necessary to glue the horizontal connectors. The vertical ones are held quite securely by gravity. When preparing to glue the horizontal pegs, the suggestion in the directions to put grooves in the ends of the pegs to allow the glue to rise when the pegs are pounded in is important. This is quite easily accomplished by grasping each peg end in the jaws of a pair of vise-grips, rotating the peg about 60 degrees and re-gripping it two or three times. A drop of glue about half the size of a small pencil eraser is plenty in the bottom of each hole. This may all sound tedious, but it results in a very sturdy rack.

While the capacity is advertised at 40 bottles, the illustration on the website will accommodate 42, 7 Horizontal X 6 Vertical, when the rack is oriented seven openings wide and five high. The sixth row goes on top. Of course, turning the rack 90 degrees results in 5HX8V=40. Truth in advertising! I am very pleased with the result, and would recommend it highly for those who can be patient in assembly. I remember building one impatiently over 20 years ago, quickly and without glue, only to find that over time the horizontal pegs worked loose. I had to take it apart and redo it with glue.

I used forty-two of the octagonal pieces in the main rack, leaving out the middle three on the top row. That left the remaining six that I used for a four bottle ready rack on top of my bar. This results in a rack that holds 8HX4V with Two 5V columns on the ends (5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5). By pyramiding additional bottles on top of the top row of the main rack, it will hold more than three full cases.

I spent quite some time looking for the best price, and Amazon Prime with free shipping and two day delivery was easily the best total price.

J.K. Adams Ash Wood 12-Bottle Wine Rack, Natural