From the Back Cover
The tax facts and strategies that every small business owner needs to know for their 2013 tax return and year-round planning
Owning a small business is a big responsibility. While all small business owners seek to improve their bottom line, few realize all the ways that both current and new tax laws can help them do so. With J.K. Lasser's Small Business Taxes 2014, you'll quickly discover how.
Written in a straightforward and accessible style, this reliable resource offers a complete overview of small business tax planning and provides you with the information needed to make tax-smart decisions throughout the year. Focusing on strategies that help you use deductions and tax credits effectively, shield business income, and maximize other aspects of small business taxes, this practical guide will show you how your actions in business today can affect your bottom line from a tax perspective tomorrow.
In this fully updated volume, you'll find:
- Detailed coverage of the newest tax laws, court decisions, and IRS rulings
- Planning strategies that can help you run a tax-smart business all year long
- Comprehensive information on each deductible expense, including dollar limits and record-keeping requirements
- Clear instructions on where to report income and claim deductions and credits on your tax forms
- Guidance on opening or closing a business, running a sideline activity, or multiple businesses
- Help with state taxes and a guide to information returns you may need to file
- Sample forms and checklists to help you prepare for tax time
Don't forget to view the free online supplement to this book at JKLasser.com for late tax changes made by Congress and other up-to-the-minute developments.
About the Author
Barbara Weltman is an attorney and a nationally recognized expert in taxation for small businesses, as well as the author of many top-selling books on taxes and finance, including J.K. Lasser's 1001 Deductions and Tax Breaks. She is also the publisher of Idea of the Day®, a guest columnist for WSJ.com and contributor to SBA.gov, is quoted regularly in major publications (including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and Money magazine), and hosts Build Your Business radio. Visit her at www.barbaraweltman.com.