4.0 out of 5 stars Funkier and much better than On the 6

3.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer Lopez......The PAULA ABDUL of the New Millenium
Published on January 23, 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Funkier and much better than On the 6, January 22, 2001
This review is from: J.Lo (Audio CD)
I have to admit I bought this CD on an impulse. I didn't really have any feelings towards the 1st single 'Love Don't Cost A Thing' when I first heard it on the radio, but I fell in love with the CD when I did a listen-thru at HMV. I felt that On the 6 was mediocre, bogged down by too many ballads. Happily, I can report that J.Lo is much better than Jennifer's previous effort.
The first thing I noted about the album was the very low amount of slow songs. Virtually all the songs can be danced to. This is definitely a good thing as La Lopez' admittedly thin vocals tended to annoy on the ballads from On the 6. Sadly though, there is no frenetically fun track a la 'Let's Get Loud' on J.Lo
Here's a track-by-track run-down of the album:
1)Love Don't Cost a Thing - You've all heard it... Form your own opinion.
2)I'm Real - A nice standard dance-pop song. Pleasant and inoffensive, if a bit predictable.
3)Play - The future 2nd single and one of the best songs on the album. Great techno beat and totally danceable to. Vaguely reminiscent of Madonna's 'Music' while maintaining it's originality. Ms Lopez even swears here! :)
4)Walking on Sunshine - Another techno-y track. Pretty good too. Great use of samples and audio effects.
5)Ain't It Funny - A track full of Latino flavour. Sounds like a Spanish ballad updated for the new millennium. VERY catchy chorus.
6)Carino - When I first heard this song, I immediately thought of Ms Lopez singing on a stage above a dancefloor, with backup singers and band behind her, while couples tango away below. Another wonderfully Latino track.
7)Come Over - The first slow song. A bit too boring and the lyrics are pretty inane. A disappointment. Sounds like a Toni Braxton reject.
8)We Gotta Talk - This really reminds me of a Destiny's Child song, 'Hey Ladies'. Good but not incredible.
9)That's Not Me - My favourite track on the album. Pulsating insistent beats mesmerize you while the chorus is TOTALLY catchy. Wonderful blend of slow and uptempo elements. Must be the magic touch of Kandi.
10)Dance With Me - Not a cover of the Debelah Morgan song, it's a pretty forgettable standard R&B song. Nice use of trumpet(I think) blats tho.
11)Secretly - Another slow song. REALLY slow and thus not my cup of tea. At least Jennifer's voice is pretty pleasant here.
12)I'm Gonna Be Alright - Another track with a great chorus. Quite good on the whole.
13)That's the Way - Eh... Bland stuff, despite being produced by Rodney Jerkins. And Jennifer's voice is slightly whiny here.
14)Dame (Touch Me) - A duet with Chayanne. Obviously very Latin. This is another of my favourite tracks. Chayanne does sound scarily like an old woman on this track though. Also produced by Jerkins, despite sounding nothing like something he would produce.
15)Si Ya Se Acabo - Another Latin track, obviously. And it's also pretty good. Reminds me of a slower, Latin-flavoured 'Waiting for Tonight'.
On the whole, J.Lo is great, but falls short of perfection. Jennifer Lopez, or rather her producers, has made a album that showcases her ability to make a fun, catchy song and downplays her vocal weaknesses. In an interview, Jennifer claimed to have made J.Lo an album directed 'at the hips' and in this instance, she has succeeded wonderfully. Take a bow, Miss Lopez.

5.0 out of 5 stars Triple Threat, September 1, 2001
This review is from: J.Lo (Audio CD)
Jennifer Lopez or J.Lo is one of the few performers who can sing, act, and dance. With This Album J.Lo she demonstrates that. The extra track (I'm Real Remix) is a great song, but not the best on the album. Some people might be saying that she can't sing, but for this type of materiel, she doesn't need great vocal cords.
1 (Lowest) 10 (Highest)
1. Love Don't Cost A Thing- 8. Great Song, But you get sick of hearing it after a while.
2. I'm Real- 9. "I'm Real, What You Get Is What You See" Sings J.Lo. Features A Cameo from her ex P.Diddy. He Sings "She's A Bad Bad Bit**"
3. Play- 9. A Great Dance Track. "DJ Just Play That Song" The Only Problem is that it could have been longer. This song is just 3min 33seconds. For This type of thing, it needs to be longer to get the feeling.
4. Walking on Sunshine- 10. My Favorite track on the album. If this song is ever released it will be a great Club Song.
5. Ain't It Funny. 9.5- This will be her next single. She Wrote this song for the movie "The Wedding Planer".
6. Carino- 9. Great Salsa Song. It Brings back J.Lo's Roots. A Live Salsa dand played on it.
7. Come Over- 4. This is J.Lo's favorite song on her album, BUT NOT MINE! If you have weak vocals (Like HEr) You shouldn't let people know. That is exactly what she did in this track.
8. We Gotta Talk- 8. A Catchy dance song.
9. That's Not Me- 10. A Great Hip-Hop Song. Produced By Sean Combs.
10. Dance With Me- 10. You will do exactly what this song tells you when you hear it.
11. Secretly- 4. SEE COme OVER!
16. I'm Real (REMIX)- 10. Better then the original!
J.LO HAS SOLD OVER 5 MILLION ALBUMS!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great C.D with some flaws, March 10, 2001
Angel (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: J.Lo (Audio CD)
Jennifer Lopez has without a doubt done a cool second album and i can't believe people are hating on her and critising this C.D. First thing, Jennifer Lopez is incredibly talented: How many of y'all can write songs, sing, dance, act and be a total style queen?! I found all the songs apart from 3 of them to be excellent. Let me break it down for you: 1. Love don't cost a thing- As you know it has an R n' B feel to it and is a great song.
2. I'm real- Must say, the beginning is excellent. The beat is fantastic, very catchy and R n'B style. My fave track of the C.D.
3. Play-Very Maddona style. It's sort of like 'music' but NOT mediocre and monotonous.
4. Walking on sunshine- If you loved 'waiting for tonight' then you'll love this. This is a pop song overall but puff daddy has produced it and is one of my favourites. Lopez really sounds good on this song.
5. Ain't it funny- Sorry Jennifer, but i don't like the Spanish-type beginning but the rest of the song is excellent. Lopez even holds a high note on this one.
6. Carino- This is alright, its not unbearable or anything but has the corny Ricky Martin type thing going down. The same thing happens in the horrendous 'Dame'.
7. Come over- This is a slow song and it grew on me (when i knew the words to it!). It depends on my mood whether i give this song a listen. I think Jennifer Lopez really SHINES on the track 'too late' off 'on the 6'. A few of those type of ballads with a beat to it would be great and Jen's real fans would love it i'm sure.
8.We gotta talk- This song has the R n' B style without a doubt and is midtempo. The use of guitar is good.
9.That's not me- It starts off slow but has a VERY upbeat chorus. A very good song.
10.Dance with me- Produced by Puffy,so you can probably work out that it's excellent. It's a pity they split up, Puffy really knows how to bring out the talent in Jennifer.Anyways, the song starts off Ricky Martin style and then the hip-hop/R n' B beats come in. Jennifer's voice sounds super on this one.
11. Secretly- Have to say, didn't like this is first but i do now. Lopez sings this in a slightly unnatural manner (it's a slow song). Maybe Jennifer should steer clear of really slow songs for her next album so i can give it 5 stars.
12. i'm gonna be alright- A very good song, R n'B meets pop. Excellent.
13. That's the way- Produced By 'Dark child' a.k.a Rodney Jerkins. If you like songs produced by him generally you'll love this.
14. Dame- HOW TRAGIC!!!! This is an album filler for sure. The guy singing on this sounds dreadful. * ONE THINGS FOR SURE JENNIFER LOPEZ AND ALL OTHER SINGING ARTISTS SHOULD LEAVE SPANISH-SOUNDING CHEESY,CORNY MUSIC ALONE- TONI BRAXTON'S 'SPANISH GUITAR' IS AN EXCEPTION! * What was Jerkins thinking when producing and writing this track?!
15. Si ya se acabo- It's O.K but...er... what does it mean?!!!!! On the whole the album is very good, the 12 brilliant tracks make up for the 3 lame spanish ones despite my critisism. This is definetely a major achievement for Lopez,i mean i have stupidly bought albums in the past with about 8 good tracks in total. If you love R n'B and pop go to the record store and get yourself a copy of J.LO. P.S i hope you have found my 100% honest review helpful!! Thanks for reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer Lopez......The PAULA ABDUL of the New Millenium, January 23, 2001
This review is from: J.Lo (Audio CD)
"J.Lo" the new CD from actress/singer/dancer Jennifer Lopez basically picks up where Jennifer's debut CD "On the 6" left off. Not revealing too much about Jennifer as a person, musician or even artist. This by the numbers production relies heavily on slick, hip hop beats and generic Latin pop to succeed, which it does only on a handful of levels. Jennifer's voice is not the strongest and basically calls to mind another mediocre singer/dancer from the late 80's/early 90's, Paula Abdul, whose good looks and catchy pop tunes took her to the heights of music glory, if only for a brief time. Jennifer needs voice lessons if she plans on being taken seriously as a singer. As of now, it appears that its only a side project in between movies for her and her videos are only blatant advertisements for her body. But alas, the album does have its bright spots like the techno influenced "Walking On Sunshine" and of course the radio hit "Love Don't Cost A Thing" which predictably follows the trend of empowered woman with her own money, needing only love (i.e. Destiny's Child's "Independent Women", Pink's "Most Girls", Mya's "Free" etc..). But Jennifer does manage to use her ASSets to her best ability, with sexy, erotic songs like "Come Over" with its smooth, silky sounds and the scorching dance track "Play". Also the spanish guitar riffed "We Gotta Talk" blends an old school R&B chorus, trendy street beats and possibly Lopez's best vocal performance on the entire CD and would'nt surprise me if its a single release. All in all, Lopez does manage to work well with the material she has even though its all predictable and has a been there, done there feel to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars J. Lo's Awesome, February 20, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: J. Lo [Clean Version] (Audio CD)
Hey,
I think J. Lo is the one of the coolest singers out there. Her voice may not match up to Alicia Keys and Mary J. Blige but she herself is cool. I'm a guy who listens to J. Lo and think that she's really good my friends don't like her and tease me a bit about it, but when she comes to my city i'm going to her concert. My fave songs on her album are "I'm Real," "Ain't That Funny," and "Play." These are all quality songs. I especially like the songs she does with Ja Rule, I think their voices go together very nicely. I just wish she would keep the explicatives down to a minimum so I wouldn't have to buy her CDs edited.
Well thats all,
Anonymous

4.0 out of 5 stars Info on this Import, February 9, 2001
This review is from: J.Lo (Audio CD)
This is for all of the people who are uncertain about buying this CD. It contains all of the same tracks available on the U.S. release but it contains a *Bonus Track* not available in the U.S. I recomend this CD to any J-LO fan especially if you collect her CD's. Here is the full tracklist Love Don't cost A Thing, I'm Real, Play, Walking On Sunshine, Ain't It Funny, Carino, Come Over, We Gotta Talk, That's Not Me, Dance With Me, Secretly, I'm Gonna Be Alright, That's The Way, Dame, Si Ya Se Acabo,
*I'm Waiting* *Bonus Track For Japan

1.0 out of 5 stars what a waste, April 8, 2001
This review is from: J.Lo (Audio CD)
I was sooooooo dissapointed with this CD. Don't get me wrong, I am a J-Lo fan and I thought the first CD was great but I couldn't dance to this. The music sounded more like house music. I just wasn't feeling what she was trying to do and the fact that she can't sing didn't help matters either. I'll be more cautious about buying her next CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jennifer Know's What's Best, May 6, 2001
Jaime Miles (Okinawa, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: J.Lo (Audio CD)
Well certainly Jennifer Lopez has knowledge of to what is in America's mainstream and despite some people's criticism of the album, I thought the album was everything that Jennifer could offer. I mean Jennifer's vocal skill is definitely not what you would call mind-boggling, but it has just enough power to verbalize and articulate each word and makes the album pleasing to the ears. I will narrow down my best choices on this album, "Love Don't Cost A Thing" is a very themetical song with a strong R&B flow, and don't forget the 1980's influenced "I'm Real," the dancefloor smash "Play," and "Walking On Sunshine" is another hit, "I'm Gonna Be Alright" sounds like a song you would listen to when you are recovering from a relationship, listen to her vocals on this track! "That's The Way" very R&B, and hopefully will be released as a single. Buy this album, and give it a few listens, and you will soon discover that this album certainly is a gem!

2.0 out of 5 stars Give the girl some credit, February 22, 2001
This review is from: J.Lo (Audio CD)
JLO I must admit may not have the best type of vocals for the music in her latest cd, but one must admit that her singing isn't all that bad. I do believe though, with more pratice in strengthening her vocals, she might just come back next time with a more powerful voice. She carries her tunes well. Unfortunetly, I only liked the single (#1 on the cd), the rest basically sound the same and that harp music at the beginning is a bit too much. There's one thing I am not in favor of. I bought my 10-yr old the cd. Never in my dreams did I think JLO would stoop to say this in one of the songs: "play my mother f-cken song". She has a huge impact with the younger listening audience, minus ONE. I've refused to let my kid listen to JLO. Kids are very impressionable, and there's nothing worse then hearing your kid chant, "Mother f_cken"...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but still falls short of her debut., April 2, 2001
"puppyluv93" (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: J.Lo (Audio CD)
Like I said, this Cd is still pretty good. I like the popular song "Love Don't Cost A Thing", plus the jumpy "Walking On Sunshine". But this album does have faults. For starters, Ms. Lopez cusses twice in the song "Play". She says "Play that s**t again" about a minute and a half into the song, but it isn't too loud though. The real problem line comes about a minute later. She screams, "Play My Motherf**king Song!" in the background. Your partially deaf, 89 year old grandmother could hear this. The first time I played this track, I didn't know that this was in the song. When it came blaring through my speakers, I turned the volume down all the way and then turned the Cd off entirely, and it turned out that my mom heard anyway. Why did J.Lo, or her producers, choose to ambush unsuspecting listeners in this manner? Also, another fault is that there aren't that many standout tracks in the album. Her previous, entirely clean album had songs such as "Waiting For Tonight" and "If You Had My Love". Maybe even "Let's Get Loud". If you're looking for a Cd to start you off with J.Lo's music, this isn't it. Buy her debut, On The 6.

J.Lo
J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez (Audio CD - 2001)