4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down.
As a a life long Hawks fan who saw almost every one of Roenick's games when he was with Chicago this book probably is more meaningful to me than most.

Published 21 months ago by steve from chicago

3.0 out of 5 stars JR bragging about his greatness AGAIN? Shocker!!!
Published 20 months ago by Fresh

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., November 20, 2012
This review is from: J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey (Hardcover)

I've always considered Roenick to be a unusual and great player on the ice. Few have been able to combine the hitting and the goal scoring. Off the ice I have always thought of him as a bit of a wild card. This book confirms both.

I liked every part of the book and especially likes the chapter in which he rates his favorites. I wonder how Rob Ray and Oleg Tverdovsky feel about it? They probably don't care because they probably consider the source.

What disappointed me about the book was JR's contradictory character. When he messed up there was always an excuse. It was his competitive nature or someone disrespected him. He isn't so forgiving of others.

There is clearly more that went unwritten and we as fans have no right to know the more intimate details of his marriage, gambling and bizarre behavior.

It would be hard to think any more of him on the ice. He was a great. It is also hard to take him seriously off the ice. So nothing has really changed but it was a lot of fun reading his story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hockey book from a great advocate, January 5, 2013
I was a great fan of Jeremy Roenick's throughout his career, and was always thrilled to listen to his opinion, no matter how off-the-wall it was. This book was no different. If you want a formal, well-written book, don't click "Add to Cart" on this one, as the writing as far from perfect. But the content and the stories JR writes about are priceless.

If you're looking to read about the time he had to avoid Mike Keenan by climbing through a hotel air vent, or about hilarious times on the bench or in the locker room, or even a serious story about his family or his time rehabbing from concussions, JR is the book for you. A laugh-a-minute, entertaining, and really enlightening, it's a book every hockey fan should have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, November 27, 2012
Awesome book! I couldn't put it down. Jeremy really puts himself out there. As far as the negative review I disagree. I watched him skate in his very 1st game and every single game he played. He was asset to the NHL!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars JR bragging about his greatness AGAIN? Shocker!!!, December 10, 2012
While I will fully admit I have never been a big fan of JR, the book was a fresh read none the less. I didn't really learn anything of great value from reading it but was entertained by his antics thoughout the book. It's no secret that JR isn't a rocket scientist but this book puts a nice perspective on his growing up through out his career and the many lessons he learned (often the hard way) about himself and others along the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars JR My life as the Outspoken, Fearless and Hard_Hitting Man in...., January 4, 2013
It's informative and filled with "Adult" stories. I don't think it's written with kids in mind! He tells his side of the game with some insight from both sides of the game, other players and management, both during and after his career. He gives you an inside the mind look at why he was so great and some of his mortal flaws.

5.0 out of 5 stars JR is the real deal !, July 27, 2014
Thouroughly enjoyed JR. Very entertaining and just a great read. As a sports fan and hockey fan it was very insightful but was equally impressed with his straight shooting regarding people (relationships) and off ice moments in addition to all the on ice events from Thayer Academy to finishing up in San Jose. Very impressed with Jeremy the player , teammate, friend and family man and the fact that he shared his mistakes as well as his successes along the way and he did it his way regardless. Well done and thanks for sharing JR !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars J.R., January 10, 2013
Jeremy can now add a book to his many accomplishments. He was most interesting hockey player ever. He is now much favorite hockey player

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., December 25, 2012
Timothy J Holtz (Macungie, PA, US) - See all my reviews
I'm not usually a fan of books by athletes. I AM however a huge hockey fan and a fan of Roenick so this seemed too good to overlook. I enjoyed this book immensely. I would have liked more player interaction stories and a bit more detail in the lists at the end but overall it was a quick, enjoyable read. J.R. is one of the greats!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 9, 2014
Excellent read for all those who enjoy hockey!

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, June 29, 2014
Great to hear him in his own words. You can really sense his love of the game in every chapter.

J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey