Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: J-tech Digital ® Hdmi Extender Over Tcp/ip Ethernet/over Single Cat5e/cat6 Cable 1080p with Ir - Up to 400 Ft
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 1, 2012
I installed 4 of these a couple of months ago to transmit my Canon HF10s to a Blackmagic Television Studio. The Television Studio is very finicky and won't accept an HDMI cable more than about 10 feet. I have these units with a 25 foot HDMI cable from the cameras to the transmitter units and then extending another 25 feet of Cat6 to the receiver units. They've been performing solid ever since. No flickering, no weirdness. Recommend these highly.
66 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2015
These TCP/IP version of extenders from different companies that look similar are really the same device inside. The differences are mostly cosmetic and production versions. They even come with identical MAC addresses, so they need to be changed via the web if more than 1 transmitter or 1 receiver are going to be installed in the same network.
Transmitter default MAC is 00:0B:78:00:60:01 with IP of 192.168.168.55. Receiver is one higher for both MAC and IP.
If it is only going to be used as an extender pair, then there is nothing to worry about... just plug in and go.
They can be directly connected, or via Ethernet switches/hubs for longer distance. The switch/hub needs to be dedicated, though, because the high traffic rate will saturate your normal network. There is a lot of unnecessary broadcast traffic which you can filter out in your router if you are handy.
Picture quality is very good, but other traffic (if not using direct cable or dedicated switch/hub) results in screen blanking.
Manual does not mention any of this information. They could have at least mentioned about the same MAC address because it kills the network.

My unit came with a defective IR, so remote control did not work at all.
on August 19, 2015
To be fair, I have now used this device exactly 6 times. So long term reliability? I can't speak for, or against, that.

But at a recent funeral for a relative, I needed to send an HDMI video from my Canon camcorder (Canon VIXIA HF G20) to a nearby building, where overflow crowd was being put, since the main building would be over capacity. Audio was handled via wireless mics, no problem, but sending a 1080p video feed was another story.

I ran a 20' HDMI line from my camera to a projector, as a test, and everything worked perfectly. So I tried a quality manufactured Belkin CAT 5e 100' cable, using the extenders, and again, it worked perfectly. My concern, of course, was longer distances, since I would be operating near the maximum stated spec for the extenders... much more of a challenge than the best-case scenarios I had just tested. A couple of days later, when my box of cheap CAT 5e bulk cable arrived from Amazon, I dutifully measured out a 300' cable (the distance I needed the run to work) and crimped connectors on it. I coiled it all up, and plugged everything together, for a close-quarters test. Imagine my dismay when it did NOT work! But looking at the large coil of network cable, it occurred to me that "cable loops are bad" or so I've always been told. They just never seem to matter, to me ... at the short distances most normal people work with. But this was a relatively extreme setup, so perhaps one more test? I took the long cable on a long walk around my backyard, eliminating any loops in favor of a straight run, much like I would have in the final installation. Plugged it all in again, hey, it worked! There was much relief.

On the day of the event, we set up the camera, and ran that same 300' cable over to the next building (all connected through hallways), taping it down and cleaning it all up neatly dressed. Plugged the camcorder into the transmitter one side (via 6' HDMI cable), plugged the projector in the receiver side (via another 6' HDMI cable), fired it all up in sequence, and what do you know! The picture came up perfectly, just like with the shorter, easier tests.

The event came off flawlessly, without a single hitch, thanks to this little gem. So even if it dies at some point in the future, I'll always be grateful that this important event came off perfectly, and everyone in both buildings was able to see the ceremony easily.
on August 18, 2012
For my setting I ran two Cable Matters 50ft Cat6a 550 MHz SSTP (Screened Shielded Twisted Pair) Snagless Patch Cable in Blue from the cable box to a TV in my exercise room. The quality of the picture and sound are no difference between using the extender or straight from an HDMI cable. Bottom line, this product works great and I am very happy. It really solved my problem and made it more convenient and conducive for me to exercise (on my treadmill while watching the news channel mostly).
on August 6, 2013
I can't tell you how many of these units I've returned. Five perhaps? Two units were dead on arrival. One simply would not work, the other produced a pink-tinted image without sound. I'll upload a screenshot so you can see what I mean. The other units died within a few weeks or months of their installation. A few units survive and are working perfectly well - hence the two star review. Alas, I fear it's only a matter of time before they too kick the bucket. It's unfortunate - this product offers competitive specifications at an unbeatable price. However, it seems that the old adage holds true: you get what you pay for.
review image review image
on June 24, 2016
Received these quickly and immediately gave them a test run. They came in a nice box/package that I will be able to keep and use to store them when they are not in use. So, a little context... I am the director of a summer conference and we were in need of a solution for running multiple projectors and stage monitors for our live sessions. It is 150'+ feet from back of the house to the stage rigging where the projectors will be mounted. Too far for HDMI, and we were tired of the lack of quality using VGA. Using a new IMAC running ProPresenter with 3 displays, I was able to run 2 projectors and a stage display no problem displaying separate video feeds no problem! The color and clarity was excellent and the video playback was awesome! Here is how I utilized them.

VIDEO SOURCE 1: IMAC--> thunderbolt/HDMI adapter---> 3' HDMI cable---> J-TECH HDMI Transmitter ---> 150' Cat5e cable----> J-TECH HDMI Receiver---> 3' HDMI cable---> J-TECH 1:2 HDMI splitter---> 2x 50' HDMI cables---> 2x Video Projectors

VIDEO SOURCE 1: IMAC--> thunderbolt/HDMI adapter---> 3' HDMI cable---> J-TECH HDMI Transmitter ---> 50' Cat5e cable----> J-TECH HDMI Receiver---> 6' HDMI cable---> HDTV stage display
on December 30, 2012
Used cat 6 with these and the picture came out just fine over 150 foot. Only used them for PC to LCD screens but they seem the work very well.
on July 15, 2012
I just installed my J-Tech HDMI extender yesterday and I have to say that it is fantastic. I have a pair of ethernet cables running from my source in the farthest corner of my living room to the LED HD screen in my bedroom at the other corner of my apartment. As the ethernet cables are installed within the false wall and ceiling, the total cable run must be about 30 meters at least. Picture quality is great and without drop outs. The product is worth five stars but I've docked one because when the lights in the bedroom are turned off (and only off for some strange reason), the sound and colour cuts out. What's left is a pinkish video with no audio. However, resetting the box (unplug and plug in the power) brings everything back to normal. I am not sure if this problem is unique to me alone. But other than that, this product is worth it.
on December 20, 2014
When I connected it from the AV Receiver to the CAT 5/6 it worked properly at a distance of 35 feet. We also tested it @ 50 feet & 100 feet which at the longer distance started freezing momentarily. This was direct out of the BluRay deck which wasn't how we planned on using it. When we changed it to the AV Receiver main HDMI output is was fine @ 100 feet distance. Ray in AZ
on November 15, 2015
I decided to use ethernet to HDMI on a recent project, mirroring HD DirecTV on a 2nd tv, for aesthetic reasons. While the distance was relatively short (about 25 ft), a majority of the cabling would have to be routed along an outside white wall that was enclosed in a patio. I couldn't find a white HDMI cable long enough (nor did the homeowner want a hole big enough to fish an HDMI through in the wall), so a white cat6 ethernet cable was my best option (besides wireless, which was much more expensive). The first extender set I ordered was the least expensive ones I could find on Amazon. They had hit or miss reviews, and I think I just got a bad set. I ordered the J-Tech extenders, and they worked flawlessly right away. Looking at the pictures, it's hard to tell that they (much like other similar products) require external power via a 120v plug. This wasn't an issue, as I had been anticipating needing a free outlet at each tv, anyway. I did not try them at a distance longer than 25 feet.