5.0 out of 5 stars Good speaker system at affordable price
Published on June 2, 2008 by David N.

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Good luck getting warranty service from JBL
So, I set up the speakers and everything, and for the first week everything worked fine.

Published on February 29, 2012 by ravl13

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Good luck getting warranty service from JBL, February 29, 2012
This review is from: JBL CS6100BG High-Performance Complete 6-Piece Home Theater Speaker System with Brackets (Black Gloss) (Electronics)

Then the subwoofer broke, refusing to power on. Called up JBL customer service, which is an Indian call center, and asked for an address where I could get the subwoofer fixed under warranty. They gave me a company name and address. I looked them up afterwards, they're not there anymore or out of business.

I call customer service again. I get two more shops/addresses, which are both 45 minutes away from me. Both of them say they don't service JBL products anymore when I call them. I asked one of them "Why does nobody take JBL warranty work?"

"They don't pay us. They owe me a lot of money, but have never paid for my work, so I stopped". Furthermore, both of the shops said they had stopped doing JBL work for over a year. That's some up-to-date data JBL keeps.

JBL is too cheap to pay for repairs to their defective products, and as the customer, you will suffer when your product breaks under the warranty time. I called up JBL support again, saying "Look, there's no service centers within reasonable distance to me. Can I just take it to a shop and send you the bill for a refund?" The reply was no, and it was pointed out that since it was less than 30 days of purchase, I could send it back to Amazon for a replacement, which is what I wound up doing (Thanks, Amazon!). Before hanging up though, I asked "But what happens if the speakers break in the future? Can I get it repaired somewhere and get refunded the cost then?" The response was just "There will be a service center in your area in the future." Yeah, right.

Why do I have zero confidence that they will try and get a service center in the area? The guy didn't even ask what "service centers" I had called and wasn't able to get service for, and when I even told him that he should tell HQ to update their database that these 3 shops don't work for JBL anymore, he was clearly disinterested and didn't record the names/addresses I was giving him.

Buy at your own risk from JBL. They're not getting any future business from me. They don't know the meaning of the phrase "product support".

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 8, 2012 2:28:00 PM PST
Hi ravl13.

I want to thank you for your business and sincerely apologize for what seem's like was a very poor customer service experience for you. JBL does strive to provide excellent customer service and this should not be the norm. If you wouldn't mind reaching out to me I would like to get some further details from you on what transpired so we can work to correct an issue like this from happening again. My email is chris.angelillo@harman.com.

I do hope that you are enjoying the sound from the replacement unit you were sent from Amazon. The CS6100BG speaker system is a great sounding speaker system.

Thank you, again, for your business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good speaker system at affordable price, June 2, 2008
David N. (Sunny California) - See all my reviews
I purchased the JBL CS6100BG Home Theater Speaker System for my bedroom. Overall, I've been really impressed with the quality of sound. The subwoofer packs a powerful punch. Installing the wall brackets for the rear channel speakers was really simple. It took me about 15 minutes. This system comes with fixed and adjustable brackets for the rear channel speakers. I used the adjustable brackets. It also comes with a wall bracket for the center channel speaker. One thing the product description doesn't say is that this system does include speaker wire for all 5 speakers and a 15' subwoofer cable. The speaker wire is black #18 gauge with polarity coding. The only negative thing about this system, which really isn't that big of a deal, is that it doesn't include wood screws needed to mount the speaker brackets. I highly recommend this system for a bedroom or a small to medium sized living/family room. For a large room, I would go with bigger speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great value, August 15, 2008
Kelly (Orange County) - See all my reviews
A few weeks back, I decided it was time to replace my 12 year old Sony TV and 17 year old "stereo" system with its two cheap speakers.

End result, after lots of research, was the purchase of the following, all from Amazon.
- Samsung LN40A650 LCD TV
- Onkyo TX-SR606
- JBL CS6100 6-Piece Home Cinema Speaker Package
- Logitech Harmony 550 Universal Remote

Also connected are;
- Scientific Atlanta cable set top box from Time Warner
- Sony SLV-D300P DVD/VCR which is 2-3 years old
- Nintendo Game Cube

Installation was in a 20'x30' room.

My goals were to have a high quality TV with decent sound, and keep the entire cost under $2500 if at all possible. Goal achieved, even with the purchase of the incidentals; some speaker wire, banana clips for speaker cables, an optical digital audio, cable, etc.

- Speakers... even if you go to all of the places you can visit to hear speakers, you have no idea how they will actually sound in your own environment. And, speakers are an object thing. My concerns here were that the only review I could find on the audiophile web sites was for the smaller CS480 speakers. the CD480s have a single woofer and tweeter in satellites vs. the dual woofers in the CS6100 package. The reviews of the CD480s indicated that they were a bit bright, a bit lacking in mid-range under some conditions. I don't find that to be the case with the CS6100s, maybe because of the dual woofers. Having all the mounting hardware in the box is a real plus, and they give you two choices of mounts, fixed and swivel. Enough high quality speaker wire in the box for a medium sized room. Sub-woofer speaker cable included. A nice, classy look as well..

The opening sequence from Top Gun (with the windows closed and the wife gone)was the first test. No disappointment here. Next, a bit of Opera. Again, they performned well. Country and classical music, movies with dialogue... these do a very nice job and compare VERY well with speakers which cost twice as much.

A definite "I'd buy again".

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Great! JBL Customer Service Horrible!, February 20, 2012
I bought this home cinema speaker system because I've been using JBL speakers since the 1970's when I owned the JBL L-100 Studio Monitor speakers. In those days JBL built their products here in CA and their products were famous for being durable and sounding great. Not any more!!! These 'satellite' speakers are built in CHINA and really show the quality difference. The center channel speaker was defective on delivery. Nothing but static came from it while all the others worked fine. I changed speakers around to make sure it wasn't the wiring, it wasn't. The JBL instructions recommended sending any bad components back to JBL, not to the retailer. This is where things went horribly wrong. I followed their instructions to the letter: I faxed the problem description to JBL customer service. They responded in a few days (should have been sooner) telling me to pack the bad speaker in the original packing and send it to Harman Inc. in Atlanta. This required me to break up the original packing for full system and use the styrofoam for the center unit. JBL said they'll email me when they receive the bad speaker. UPS sent me a delivery confirmation in 4 days. When I called JBL (Harman) in Atlanta on the 5th day, guess what? "Sorry sir we haven't received your speaker!" I said, "I have the delivery confirmation from UPS right here and it was received by Dewey (or someone like that) with his signature on your loading dock yesterday." The customer service person (In India) said he'll check and get back to me via email. 4 days later, still no response. I try the same thing again. Another agent in India says the same thing. He says he'll email me when they show the speaker "in their system". Another 5 days go by, no email. I give it one more try with the same result, then give up and call Amazon for a full replacement system. In 2 days there's a perfect new JBL system in the box on my doorstep! Amazon, you're great! Then guess what? JBL finally finds my bad speaker and sends me that email saying the replacement is on the way. Now what? I've got a full replacement system in my house and the replacement speaker arriving soon from JBL. WTF??? After a nice chat with the Amazon people I decide to ship back their replacement system (after making sure the JBL replacement speaker works as it should.) It did, but it took 3 weeks and lots of grief getting this right. JBL? You've lost one very loyal customer. Your customer service and terrible inventory of warranty claims has cost you lots of new business because I tell everyone I know (many audiophiles) to never buy your products again. I'm sure JBL's professonal speaker customers don't have these problems. But consumer goods is the game here. Pro's use what they get free on promotions or in theaters and outdoor venues. Consumers buying JBL products get something far less. Goodbye JBL, I deserved better. All your retail customers deserve better. This is how a company goes down in flames. JBL, you're on the way.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy - broken in a few months and hard to get it repaired under warrenty coverage, June 7, 2013
Bought at end of Nov, 2012 and two weeks ago, the subwoofer suddenly started to make loud noise and wouldn't stop once turned on. Emailed JBL and they admitted it is a known defect but since it is still under warranty coverage, they sent me a list of authorized service centers. 3/5 on the list didn't have a working contact number, or no longer in service. The closest one is near 100 miles away from where I live. The other one only works in a very few selected hours per day. So I asked if I could ship to them and get the shipping cost refunded, or to get to a local service center to get repaired - no surprise, I was turned down since JBL claims per warranty customer is responsible to ship the product, and only an authorized service center is skilled enough to repair JBL product. Well... I don't think making a speaker is such as big deal these days, nor to mentioned repair it. If JBL products is in such as high quality stage, it will not break so easily in the first place. So now I am stuck. Will stay away from JBL forever. And alert the other ones too.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jun 11, 2013 4:04:23 PM PDT
Hi land

I am sorry to hear of the challenge that you have had with the subwoofer that came with your JBL CS6100 speaker system along with the difficulty in getting the issue resolved. Your experience is definitely not the norm and I want to make sure I can get it resolved for you as soon as I can so you can get back to enjoying listenting to your system. If you could please reach out to me at chris.angelillo@harman.com I would like to follow up with you to see if we can't possibly get your subwoofer replaced.

Thank you for your business and I apologize, once again, for the trouble you have had.

Christopher Angelillo
Account Manager
JBL
chris.angelillo@harman.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Subwoofer Issues, August 2, 2013
Bought this speaker set from Amazon back in Dec 2012 for my basement, and have not been able to get the subwoofer to work consistently for normal periods of tv/movie/music consumption. It shuts off after an hour, or sometimes as little as 3 minutes. Some times it won't come on at all unless you manually toggle the power switch off, then back on again. It sounds great when it's working, but it'll shut-off at any given moment (doesn't matter the input, be it music, TV, or Blu-Ray from the receiver).

I've taken it back for warranty service and they say that nothing is wrong with it, that I'm driving the speaker too hard and thus triggering the auto shut-off, or that the output from my Sony receiver is too high. I've tried every combination of db levels from the receiver, along with the "volume" knob on the back of the sub, with no luck. It'll shut-off even at the lowest, inaudible levels. I've tried using it with my upstairs Onkyo receiver and experiencing the same issue. I know it's not the Sony receiver since I've been using a Polk subwoofer in place of the JBL on occasion, and it's worked fine. I've even tested the AC output from the wall to ensure that it was getting enough power, and no issues.

The fronts, surrounds, and center all sound pretty well and have a nice look to them, but the issues with the subwoofer make this a product to stay away from. I think I'm now looking at having to buy a seperate subwoofer to make the system functional.

1.0 out of 5 stars OK Sound, Nightmarish Experience with Inept Company, August 15, 2013
This 5.1 system is good for the price. A passable installation for a smaller home and a smaller room. I had it in my 12x15, awkwardly rectangle room for a few months. It performed OK. I then upgraded it to a 10x18 room that opens into a kitchen and a foyer. It held its own.

But even if you're tight on money, on a strict budget, do not buy this 5.1 system.

I repeat.

DO NOT BUY THIS 5.1 SYSTEM.

JBL is a dying branch of Harman Kardon. JBL does not make new products anymore. Its "current" products are several years old and they don't offer replacement parts. Why this company is still in business and selling things on Amazon, or the internet for that matter, is beyond me, and probably beyond the technicians, the customer service reps, and the CEO.

This product has been an absolute nightmare to deal with. The subwoofer is guaranteed to fail within a few months, as warned by many reviews and forum posts. The failure is a loud buzzing noise when the subwoofer is turned on, because the capacitors have blown. It took only six months for my subwoofer to fail. Once that happens, you should save yourself from the frustration and misery of dealing with JBL Customer Service by just buying a new system from a more reputed and still functioning brand like Polk, SVS, or HSU.

To even reach a real person to talk to on their phone service, you have to dial about two dozen numbers.

To even speak to a coherent and competent representative, you'll have to go through three holds and reach the supervisor.

To even get any kind of service, you'd have to pray to Allah, God, or Yahweh, or whoever rules this cruel universe where JBL exists.

Their email service is useless. It takes them days to respond to you, and when they do respond, they offer no help.

Last month, I had made over a dozen dials to their phone number (1-800-336-4525, write that down, then put it on your Never Dial List). Half of them, after leaping through the automated machine, got hung up on immediately when the ringer started. When it did pick up, most of them was by the same Customer Service Rep, who was a complete bumbling fool. It took a lot of pressure from me to get him to give me a service confirmation number so that I could get my subwoofer fixed at the nearest shop.

One note about shops. Very few shops take JBL's warranty anymore. There was only one shop in a city of millions of people that took the warranty (God Bless them, or so they say). And I live in New York City. Chances are no one takes their warranty anymore by the time you're reading this.

By the time my subwoofer was fixed, it lasted about five days before the problem returned. Now that's not JBL's fault entirely, because the shop should have fixed the issues as they promised. But I am going through many headaches in the first place because JBL has zero quality control and zero customer service.

Now I have a broken subwoofer and no one to fix it (yet). By now, I'm pretty sick of this. It is a real hassle to take this 50 pound subwoofer into Manhattan from Queens to get it fixed, because there's only one store who will fix it. The store itself is not very competent and take three weeks to replace a couple of capacitors. I have made several phone calls again and by the time I reached the supervisor, I was told I will not be sent a new subwoofer (he used choice words like "absolutely", "definitely", and "No"). I have an email that is a few days old with no responses.

In other words, I don't really have time for these shenanigans so I am going to buy a new system, rid myself of the JBL curse, and be a free, happy man.

This system is going for $350 as of this writing on Amazon. Its MSRP is $1200. On the JBL website itself the system is going for $400. This is saying something. Something not good. Sometimes you wanna save a buck. Sometimes you need to save a couple hundred bucks. And almost all the time you get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right, December 13, 2010
This speaker system is just right for my needs. It's not too expensive yet produces very good sound. It's not a reference system, of course, but it's good enough that I can easily hear the differences between Dolby Digital over the cable TV or broadcast (good to very good), and Dolby from a DVD (very good to great), and Dolby / DTS on a DVD (excellent). Wasn't so with the previous mix-match set of speakers (with no center). The amp is a Yamaha RX w/ 100 w/channel; plenty of power and no need to go beyond 4/10 or so. I have the sub turned up only to about 30% and the LFE shakes the (15' x 30') room. Watch out for speaker placement, though. First I put the center onto an empty bookshelf slot (27" x 15") which acted as a resonator and made the center voices sound like they were coming out of a barrel! Put the speaker (all of them actually) as far out in the open as you can and they will sound much better. As other reviewers have noted, these are slightly weak in the mid-range but not so much as to be a problem. Also important to use the A/V amp's balancing and delay settings to tweak it just right.

Easily wall mounted the mains and surrounds; put the center on the fixed bracket (it's liable to tip forward due to poor balance if let on its small inadequate feet). I have about 30' of cable to either of the surrounds, so I got some 16-ga speaker cable at the local R-Shack for not much and used it for all five. Had to move the sub farther away than the supplied cable and so have ordered a 25' sub cable from Amazon (Belkin, on sale). Tucked the wires into some stick-on cable runs from H-Depot, and all is neat and tidy. Note that when I was finished I didn't use any of the supplied wiring -- oh well, I can use it somewhere else I suppose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice speakers for quality/price, January 16, 2009
I just installed these a couple of days ago. I am replacing some entry level Sony speakers that were part of a DVD/home theatre system. Over a year ago I upgraded to a Samsung LCD screen television, so I had to scrap the 6 disc DVD player that came with the Sony speaker set to get a Sony receiver with HDMI connections for my television. I bought a 100 watt powered Sony subwoofer, but kept the Sony satellites & center speaker. I felt the surround sound & it sounded ok, but not as clear as I would like. The bass from the Sony sub was ok when it was turned up all the way which isn't good for any powered sub. I tell you what, the JBL's rock!! Literally... The 300 watt sub shakes the whole house. And I only have it turned up tad over halfway. And the satellites & center speaker sound very clear. I am getting a true surround sound experience now. I am picking sounds I never did before.

The speakers are very pleasing to look at with the high gloss black finish & they are very durable & heavy. The mounting kit is easy to use. I didn't use the speaker wire that was included because I had my wiring in place from the last configuration. The wire included is good quality too. The connections on the back of the speakers are user friendly because they screw out, but there is a hole to where you stick the wire THROUGH as opposed to having to wrap around the terminals & then screw in as I have had to do in the past. We all know what a pain it is to be on a stool trying to thread speaker wire on a speaker while supporting the speaker. This system is perfect for someone that wants a good home surround sound system that is definitely not entry level, & affordable with great sound quality. Not to mention the powerful 300 watt sub. And the speakers are nice to look at & they match most black LCD televisions & receivers. I would definitely recommend this system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good speakers and phenomenal subwofer -- 4.5 stars, February 21, 2013
I upgraded to these speakers from a Yamaha 5.1 set that was fairly good, but wanted dual and larger woofers on the satellites for better high/mid-range performance. These deliver very good sound especially now that I have them pairs with a Denon AVR-1613. When I was initially using a Yamaha RX-467 receiver, I was having trouble getting just the right balance between highs from the satellites and lows from the subwofer. The Denon's sound calibration software equalized the speakers (minus subwofer on this model receiver) and I can tell the difference -- even my wife when she first heard the new set up said she was hearing things that she doesn't think she heard before!

I would deduct 1/2 a star because like others have said about these speakers, maybe could get a bit better mid-frequency performance -- but I wasn't expecting larger bookshelf speaker-type sound from what are still small satellite speakers. The subwofer -- I cannot say enough at how good it sounds. I have found myself smiling many a times listening to music the last couple of weeks once I completed the setup.

When you consider how much these speakers used to cost originally and the price that you can get them for now -- I'm more than impressed and happy with the purchase. Just make sure you pair them with a good receiver and you should be happy too!