5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the money
Published on August 2, 2011 by McCarth

2.0 out of 5 stars meh
Sounds pretty good however, the subwoofer stays on all the time and doesnt shut off when there is no signal. I expect the subwoofer to burn out prematurely because of that. Sound quality vs cost - Too pricy for what it is.
Published 14 months ago by RR

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the money, August 2, 2011
This review is from: JBL Cinema 500 5.1 Speaker System (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For just an average person like myself who wants a quality, state of the art, modern home theater, this is exactly that. It is reasonably priced for someone who wants a great listening experience, but usually can't afford to buy a high-end system. JBL has somehow manufactured a high-end system at an affordable price. When it is all put together and you are actually watching a movie, it seems like it should cost more money than it does. The design of it is one of the reasons it looks more expensive. Then when you add the quality sound to it, it just seems like it should have been more. The speakers are so modern and contemporary looking, as well as the subwoofer. The whole system is very stylish, as well as compact so it doesn't take up a lot of space like years ago when home theaters first came out and your entire room looked like one big cluttered mess.

This system is exactly what I have been looking for. It provides a clear crisp quality sound for movies and music and has a beautiful design to it. I believe this provides a great listening experience and is a great addition to someones modern decor at the same time. I believe this works best in a small to medium size room. Not sure how it would fair out in a large room.

It's easy to set up and use. There are a variety of speaker mounting options. The speakers can be placed on a shelf or mounted on a wall or just placed on the floor with the easy slide in shelf stands. I mounted all of my speakers on the wall all around the my flat screen and it looks so nice.

All of the speaker wire, as well as the subwoofer cable are included, but if you want to mount it to the wall, you will have to buy that hardware seperately because it doesn't come with it.

Ok now...........as with everything in life there does have to be at least one downside to it because nothing is perfect.......The only negative thing I could think of to say about this is that although the subwoofer provides plenty of low frequency power output, the bass response is not as tight or distinct as I would have preferred. I like a lot of bass when I watch a movie or listen to music and it wasn't as deep or crisp as I would have liked. There was a little static on some levels. But that still is not enough for me to not give this amazing product 5 stars. I have owned 2 surround sound sytems before this one and this so far is the best one I've ever had.

This is definitely worth the price. In fact, I believe you get more bang for your buck with this. It's a beautiful product that looks like a million bucks, but won't leave your pockets feeling totally empty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, August 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're looking for a lot of technical details about this system, my review isn't going to be of help to you. What, hopefully, is of help to you is knowing that the JBL Cinema 500 5.1 Speaker System is about as close to having movie theater surround sound quality in the comfort of your own home as I've experienced. The sound quality is very crisp and clear, and its 150-watt powered 8-inch subwoofer delivers realistic, high impact bass. Further, the appearance of the entire system is very contemporary-looking, well-constructed and sized right to provide the performance desired without being an eyesore in your room. As to installing the system, I found it to be very easy to install, requiring a minimal amount of time -- and I'm far from being a particularly handy person -- and it provided all of the speaker wire and cables needed.

All in all, this JBL system is one I'd highly recommend when you're in the market for home theater speaker system that provides high-end quality at a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean Realistic Sound for Movies and Music, August 6, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The JBL Cinema 500 5.1 surround sound speaker system is a quality upgrade from a box setup home theatre system. There is a significant improvement in sound clarity and the overall theatre experience. Starting with the center channel speaker, voices are clearer when watching movies, providing a solid balance between music and ambient sound. Often with surround speakers, they excel at volume for music and effects, but voices get washed out. This is not the case with these speakers. It is amazing how well one can hear even the slightest breath from a character on screen regardless of background sound. The front surround speakers have excellent mid-range reproduction with no audible distortion at high volume levels. There is an excellent sense of space with effects and soundtrack reproduction. No sense of emptiness with the sound, the content comes through as the producers intended it to be heard. The surround speakers, the satellites of this system are larger than some, about a foot from top to bottom, but have a very nice modern appearance. They do have a keyhole type mounting for anchor mounting on a wall, perhaps different from some other speaker mounts. The sub woofer has a large base on the floor, but the pyramid shape minimizes the shape near the top. It completes the sound range and can have its output controlled from rear controls to increase volume as well as crossover to prevent higher frequencies. The built in 500 watt amplifier does boost its volume significantly. It has plenty of capacity for a large space, as we did not feel the need to crank it up in a smaller space. When the bass hits in music, it has a very clean tone and compliments the surrounds nicely. Testing a wide variety of music on these JBL speakers, it is easy to just get lost in the music. Everything sounds amazing on these from pop and rock to classical. Whatever the taste in music, it will sound superb. This system is a great value and a terrific replacement to any standard home theatre in a box. We are thrilled to have received this product to review, and do recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, cheap structure, January 13, 2012
I love the sound from these, so I'd give them 5 stars for that. However, I have to knock a star off, because they have cheap interfaces. The spring loaded wire connectors, nothing but a keyhole mount (that was too small to fit most mounting brackets I found), and I nearly punched a hole through the subwoofer speaker because it is open faced down, and you would never know the speaker is open air like that until you grab the subwoofer from the bottom to move it. I considered removing 2 stars for this since these are not cheap. Additionally, the keyhole mount is only at the top of the satellite speakers, so if you wanted to mount the rear speakers sideways for some reason, you are out of luck.

2.0 out of 5 stars meh, November 17, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good, September 22, 2013
ChasNCenTx (Austin (the one in Texas)) - See all my reviews
I got this system to replace my previous smaller JBL system. I think it provides great sound quality. The old system's subwoofer stopped woofing so when I set up the new system it took me a while to figure out what that strange sound was - until I realized it was the subwoofer doing its job. I haven't cranked it up too loud - the neighbors are closer than I want and I don't want to lower their tolerance threshhold too soon.
Setting the speakers up was straight-forward, they work well with my system, the back channels are distinct so they're doing their job too. All in all I'm glad I made the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great , awesome, July 22, 2013
Sound is awesome. Sub woofer exceeds expectations great value for the price. Awesome sound, great value great price. I recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars True JBL sound, May 26, 2013
I am a fans of JBL since I bought my Dell XPS laptop with JBL speakers. These speakers generate true JBL sounds as I heard from other JBL speakers. I drive them with Pioneer elite VSX-51 (the older one has more sockets and is less expensive), and upgraded to 7.1 channels by buying two additional satellite speakers from eBay. Subwoofer is powerful.

The only disadvantage is there is only one hole behind satellite speaker for wall mounting. But I put them on tables and other surfaces. You can buy original JBL stands for them but expensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, April 27, 2013
David (EL PASO, TX, US) - See all my reviews
The quality of the sound from these little puppies is above superb. I probably could have gone with the smaller version, but being a lover of grande sound I would never go back.

5.0 out of 5 stars great compact speakers, January 8, 2013
We were looking for compact speakers with a big sound, oh, and affordably priced. The JBL 500s fit the bill exactly. They have big, solid sound, and because they are JBL, they have an incredible frequency response range. Our TV room is about 15 feet square and these babies fill up the room quite nicely. They have double the number of speakers as the JBL 300 for not much more in price. Also, the Woofer is very capable. We only have it turned up about three/fourths or else it is just too overwhelming.

On the downside, the cabinet structure is kind of funky--sort of a sports-banner theme--but the plastic cases are so thick and strong that they make the speakers that much more solid. All the sound comes out the front, and I do mean ALL the sound. The other thing to know is that wall mounting may be a bit difficult. The speaker cases only sport a slide-in keyhole with which to mount on a wall--like on a nail or screw head. Some fancy inventiveness will be necessary if you want to aim your speakers that are mounted in a particular direction.

Overall, I recommend these speakers. Love the sound; love the price.