Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on September 1, 2013
Having gotten tired of hearing my Samsung Plasma TVs speaker bottom out at the slightest hint of bass, I went and got the JBL SB100 sound bar and in my medium sized apartment living room, it more than satisfies. I'm even a bit impressed, which is hard to do with anything audio. It was on sale this Labor Day at Frys for only $149 so hurry up and try one before the sale is over. At the store, it was nearly impossible to ascertain the sound and the salesman tried to steer me away twice to something else I didn't need so I'm glad I took it home to try it out.

Set up was a breeze but I recommend getting a better optical cable than the one that comes with it as it's almost toothpick thin and for around $10.00 you can get a RoHS certified optical cable. Once set up, I'm quite taken on the sound: full bodied, mid range centered (where 90% of all sound resides) which imparts a naturalness to conversation and a fullness to movies. Highs don't sear ones ears but are extended and there's a bass boost for things that explode (if you're into that). There's also a surround sound feature but I'm not ready to say if using it makes things better or not.

The remote learning steps only take you part way there and I had to experiment a bit by following directions and then modifying them as I went and all it took were two attempts. Now my cable/TV remote works the volume of the sound bar. One nice feature is that you can leave it on 24/7 as it goes into standby mode after 10 minutes of inactivity and comes back on when you power up the TV.

In closing, I'll say that sure, there are better sound bars out there but you need to pay a whole lot more for not much more improvement if all you need is something better than the speakers that come with your TV, and this is for regular, casual broadcast viewing as my stereo rig is reserved for the Blu-Ray player and who needs to turn on all of that just for regular programming?
Most recommended.

PS: One thing I'd like to mention is that there is a tiny switch on the back of the unit near the inputs that, when selected, optimizes the unit for placement against the wall or when placed on a rack/shelf in front of the TV. When the setting is selected for placement in front of the TV, it becomes too bass heavy for my tastes and seems to lack a bit of air and extension on the upper end. Choosing the wall mounted setting makes for a much more believable and satisfying presentation. In fact, the more I listen to it at this setting, the more I like it. Go figure. But make sure to check it out to see which setting you prefer.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon April 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I compared this sound bar side-by-side with a Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System, a slightly more expensive theater-in-a-box offering from Sony. Even without a subwoofer or any ability to chage the EQ, this bar sounded better, with a clearer high end and less muddy bottom. This was true for various types of television -- HD, standard, movies, series, news and sports, even though the Sony offers preset EQs for all these different types of media (but sounds good only on the "news" setting, no matter the input).

The bar couldn't be simpler to set up - just plug the supplied optical cable into your cable/satellite box and the supplied power cord into the wall and you're good to go. A word of warning, however - the supplied cords are really short, especially the optical cable. If the box isn't right next to the t.v. you might need a longer optical cable, and you might need an extension cord for the power cable if your outlet is to the right of the t.v. or not close by, since the slot for the power cord forces it to go sharply to the left.

The sound bar has two settings on the back to optimize sound whether it's wall-mounted or set on a table in front of the t.v., and there are buttons on the remote and the bar for mock surround sound and to boost the bass. Both produce a moderate change in sound which is more noticeable with music and sound effects than with speech.

You can connect the sound bar if you'd like to a subwoofer, although neither a subwoofer nor a cable is supplied. Personally, I don't think it needs one for a small room, but it's nice to have the option.

I also own a JBL SB 300 Soundbar and 150-Watt Subwoofer, which has superior sound but costs more than twice as much and has a fairly clunky looking wired sub-woofer. It's worth the extra money, in my opinion, if you can afford it, but the SB100 is more than adequate for a small room and a major improvement over the speakers included, if at all, with most t.v. sets.

The bar itself is not terribly attractive, but it makes up for it by having quite good sound without the need for a subwoofer. It also has a fabulous credit-card sized remote, which is great for decluttering the bedside table, although also somewhat easy to lose track of.

All in all I'm pleasantly surprised by just how good this sounds and plan on using it instead of the Sony since I don't need any of the Sony's bells and whistles (such as HDMI pass-through and 3D sound).

If you're looking for a low-cost option to the speakers included in your t.v., this is a great choice.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2013
I wanted to upgrade from the TV speakers on my 40" Haier HDTV without forking out a ton of cash and, after looking at many different units, decided upon this JBL SB 100 Sound Bar. As well, as this was for the master bedroom I did not feel the need for a full 5.1 system. That Amazon had this at a holiday discount certainly helped in the selection process, but I am extremely happy with it as sound absolutely fills the room entirely.

The sound is very impressive, especially when watching Amazon Instant Video or Blu Ray (and DVD) movies. High-octane Blu Ray movies are, in a word, fantastic. There is a richness in the sound, and the bar is pretty much mid-range focused, which I find perfect for most offerings. That is not to say bass and treble are left out, as they are not by any means. The high end is quite crisp and the bass booms as required and a bit more using the JBL "bass boost." The bass is not what you would get from a 5.1 system but, it delivers. There is an output on the bar allowing you to add a woofer, but I don't think I will ever do that. When cranked up there is no distortion and it gets loud.

The box arrived with the bar, an IR remote, power cable, optical audio cable, coaxial audio cable, manual, wall mount bracket, warranty card and a quick start guide. Set up was pretty easy. I attached a (not included) BlueRigger Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable from the bar to my HDTV and set the bar at the base of the TV, which sits on top of a 36" tall stand, and then plugged it in and turned it on (on-off switch near the cable connections).

The bar allows you to control the sound coming either from the TV or the bar itself. This is a no-brainer...bar all the way. Set the TV unit volume to zero and the bar is ready to perform all the time (whether watching TV or using your Blu Ray player). There is an optimization switch on the bar allowing you to set it for being wall mounted or setting in front of the TV. The sound can be set, via the bar itself or the remote, to either normal stereo or to the Harman Display Surround. I use the normal setting for TV while, for me, the Surround is definitely the best setting for Blu Ray, DVD and Amazon Instant, as it really does almost surround you.

As a side-note, I also really like the design. That said, I will note that the light showing the unit as on (white) or standby (orange) is located where you really cannot see it when it is in use (i.e., when sitting on sofa or lying in bed). For me this is a non-issue as I can tell when it is on or not when I am watching something and I can see it when I walk by. And, it does go to sleep after about 10 minutes of inactivity so I don't even think about it. But, that is just me.

The bar comes with a one year electronics and five year loudspeaker limited warranty which is pretty standard in the industry nowadays. If you don't need to go with a full 5.1 system this is definitely worth a try and easily worth the money (especially on sale). The 5 star rating is comparing this JBL bar to other bars I have heard, not all sound systems available.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 14, 2014
Let me first explain that this gets one star simply for value, because I paid only $100 and at over $130 it would be four stars. I'm probably influenced by the fact that I spend more money on Harmon International products, which includes JBL and their professional products and Crown amps, than many spend on their homes but I'm in the business. But I'll look at this for what it is and that it's from their low end consumer division and not pro audio.

I found it easy to place but I could see where some might have to use a little creativity, something I believe just goes with the territory with audio products. Connecting went smoothly and optical is best, which allows the 3.5mm input to be used for another device. Don't forget that adapters are sold for 3.5mm to RCA or almost anything and an extension cable also might be useful.

Operation is simple and works well, so how does it sound? Considering what it is it's great. So don't think that you are purchasing a large $600 system and you'll be satisfied. Connect a sub if you'd like and adding this will fill most rooms with quality sound. For most, just as it is will make you happy, your TV will not only sound, but sound good without a big system unnecessarily taking up a lot of room. For an inexpensive sub, the Monoprice site will ship free to much of the western US and their 60 watt, 8" will do for $64.

Something consumers need to take into account when purchasing JBL is that you're paying for advanced R & D and it will sound better than most. Therefore, there will be some who can't notice the difference in sound quality and might be happier purchasing another brand or a model with Bluetooth, but for under $150 this has good sound quality and if you want small it's a good buy. It's been working well for five months and I hope this has helped you with your decision.
on March 15, 2014
First of all I like this sound bar and it is a great improvement over the TV speakers. I added a SONY subwoofer and that too, was an improvement. I did have trouble getting things sorted out so that the speakers worked at all.

(My TV is a Samsung UN40EH5300. And I am connected to a terrestrial antenna only. Local channels only, all in HD.)

I am connected to the SB-100 via the optical connection. The TV has the usual variety of sound settings. The most important one, learned through trial/error, is to select PCM instead of Dolby. Dolby is the default and this speaker will not work unless PCM is selected. Once PCM is selected you can have internal speakers selected or external (internal speakers are disabled and some of the internal sound "functions" are disabled. I guess the idea is that your external device has functions and the two could get confusing.)

I kind of understand that there are so many possible combinations that this sort of thing would not be explained. But it took me an annoying week to discover the PCM output need. I talked and chatted and emailed, obviously not to the right person.

Nonetheless, recommended for TV sound improvement.
on May 7, 2014
Not wanting to go with a full fledged surround sound system, I tried this sound bar. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it has certainly exceeded my expectations. The sound is very rich, decent bass and the spoken word is distinct. I mounted it on the wall right under the TV and it looks and performs very well. Only issue is that it isn't very loud at it's loudest. It's loud enough for the modest bedroom it's in but I'm sure I'd be disappointed if it were in the living room. If maximum volume is not your first priority, then I'd say this is worth your consideration.
on January 21, 2014
This soundbar is the best, so simple, excellent price and does the job. My new tv does not have a good sound, and with this bar, it sounds wonderful. One time there was a knok on the tv and went to open the door, I know don't laugh, I am not that old, is just that this bar is the real thing
on March 18, 2014
We had no trouble installing this speaker and are pleased with the sound quality. After 6 weeks of use, it failed to connect with our flatscreen. We disconnected everything and reconnected as we had originally, with no success. We muted and unmuted, with no success. We finally called customer service, but had great difficulty communicating with the CS person. We actually had to ask him to spell words we couldn't catch. He also didn't seem to know about our product and asked us no less than three times what sort of connection we were using (optical cable). We finally terminated the conversation and sent an email requesting customer service (the site says you will be contacted within 24 hours). That was 4 days ago; no contact has been made. In the meantime, we went through all the steps again and got the speaker working.
on February 26, 2015
Ordered the unit and then I read all the negative reviews. Here is my experience. Arrived in great condition (well packed). Knowing that the fiber cable is made of glass in side I took great care in handling the cable. Sound works as well as expected for this type and size unit. - I also have a 5:1 system and that is no comparison. What I found to be a problem which a lot of people complained about with the sound not always coming on automatically. The issue I found is that the LG TV audio output format setting was set to auto. Once I changed it to PCM - pulse code modulation, the problem is solved! The unit is performing well at the job for which I purchase it. Now only time will tell about the other longevity concerns.
on December 25, 2013
I purchased this improve the sound quality on an LED HDTV that has tiny speakers. As other reviewers have noted, the optical input connection fails, thus this whole unit is virtually worthless.

Not much else to say and I hope JBL gets this reconciled since the price point is good if you simply want to improve the sound quality out of your TV.