5.0 out of 5 stars I have loved these speakers since before they were made...
Published on May 4, 2012 by PJBeee

3.0 out of 5 stars They are good quality speakers but lack mid bass
These speakers are clear, detailed and have a good soundstage, however, when it comes to mid bass, they fall short in my opinion. I think that they are quite a bright sounding pair of speakers, vocals are good and percussion, high frequency sounds are well produced. I have them crossed over at 80hz, but I wouldn't go lower than that.

7/10 - Constructed...
Published 14 months ago by IceCube

5.0 out of 5 stars I have loved these speakers since before they were made..., May 4, 2012
This review is from: JBL ES20 High-Performance 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Black, Pair) (Electronics)
Seriously. These are upgraded versions of the old Northridge e20. What's the difference? Far as I can figure, if you are a dog, you might be able to tell. They've added a super-tweeter, so the high-frequency response has risen to 40 kHz from a measly 20 kHz (for the uninitiated, humans can't really hear above 20 kHz, and most people's hearing falls far short of even that.. some argue that the we can perhaps feel the effect of those extreme highs, but digital audio never goes up that far...). Otherwise, the other two speakers inside the box (woofer and "tweeter #1") seem identical to the e20's.

To me, these are superb sounding speakers, with clean, clear mids and highs, and bass response that belies their size. They can be a bit deep (8") for some installations, but go and give them a listen if you can deal with this.

I have them perched in my living room as left, right, and surround speakers and couldn't be more pleased. If I didn't already have a spiffy center speaker, I wouldn't hesitate to use one of these for a center channel as well.

So humans and dogs, rejoice! This is a compact bookshelf speaker for both of you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent surround speakers, February 14, 2009
P. Vermeychuk (Southeastern PA) - See all my reviews
I use these as rear channels in a 7.1 setup. They perform very well with the rest of my speakers which are JBL Studio L Series. They have excellent high-frequency responce and fantastic stereo imaging. The low-end is lacking, but I wouldn't expect much of 5.25in. woofers. These would be okay for a small bookshelf system, and they make excellent surround speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Is my music really coming from such a small set of speakers?, January 17, 2013
William Breeden (St. Louis, Missouri) - See all my reviews
I have 2 pairs of JBL ES30's, which are the big brothers of these ES20's. My ES30's sound fantastic on my main system, but I am building another smaller system in my basement. I needed a smaller set of speakers for that system, so I turned to JBL again (no surprise there) to see what they had available in a smaller set of speakers. I needed speakers that would fit in my smaller basement setup. These speakers measure 12.5" tall, 6.875" wide, and 8" deep. They are just the right size and look terrific in my smaller system.

Upon opening the box, I was immediately impressed. These speakers weigh just over 10 pounds each, and they feel very solid. They have the same look and feel as my JBL ES30's, and I couldn't wait to get them hooked up.

My basement system is simple: A Sony receiver and blu-ray player, and a 32 inch Samsung LCD TV. I hooked up my new JBL ES20's and put in a CD to listen to. Wow! I could not believe my music was coming from such small speakers! The basement was filled with clear, lively music. And I did not even have them turned up very loud. The best way I can describe the sound is clear, lively, and punchy.

You are not going to get window-rattling bass from a 5 inch woofer, but you will be pleasantly surprised at how much bass these speakers do produce. I found myself looking around the room for `real' source of all this punchy, tight sound!

I am referring to these speakers as `small,' but that is relative. They are just over a foot tall, so you may perceive that as `medium sized' or more, depending on your needs. These are small compared to the larger ES30's, which are just over 15 inches tall. But these `small' ES20 speakers look and sound so good, I would go as far as to say they would most likely be more than adequate for most people's sound system, either for music, movies, sports, or just about anything.

These are fantastic speakers. JBL will not disappoint you from the moment you open the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for your buck., April 4, 2012
Salvatore F. Patella "NY Sal" (Wallkill, New York United States) - See all my reviews
You will NOT find a bookshelf speaker more crisp, with solid pounding bass than these speakers in this price range. Solid bass snaps out at you, not muffled. Highs are clean. They look great also. I cannot imagine better sound out of something this size and price.
JBL has always impressed and continues to do so.
No subwoofer required unless you want to rattle the windows.

4.0 out of 5 stars JBL ES20BK Delivers in a small package, October 5, 2010
Rob (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I needed a couple of reasonably small but powerful speakers to pair with my frankestein Home entertainment system. The new set up incliudes a new panasonic 42" S2 plasma and panasonic Blu Ray paired with 25 year old analog NAD 7220PE Reciever, and B&O turntable). My old Bose 301s which still sound great didn't fit on the new TV console.

Long and short is that these speakers put out plenty of sound through the NAD. They are ok on the base but not as deep as the Bose. As far as the high and mids go they are accurate and crisp. They sound good whether I am watching an HD movie or listening to vinyl.

I settled on JBL because I had a pair of Northbridge bookshelf speakers that I'm quite pleased with in another room and the Amazon deal for $205 couldn't be beat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected,, December 8, 2011
The product picture on the website seemed to be a little tacky.
I kind of regretted buying this before receiving the package.

But when I opened the box, they looked way better in real!
Doesn't feel as plasticky as pictures shown on the web.

Sound exceeds most entry models which has higher price tag.

Lows are solid, and delivers balanced mid-high range.
Surprisingly speedy,accurate, and spacious considering the price.

But it has its limits, if you are classic lover, you should avoid this.
Part from that, very steady performance throughout.

This will stay with me for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is WOW, April 21, 2013
They speakers blew my expectations away. I am just using them as stereo speakers in a different zone and they are unreal. You don't need a subwoofer with these speakers at all. I could see using these in a surround sound system but honestly they might be too powerful for rear / surrounds so they would be great for a small room as front speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small pack great sound, April 4, 2013
JAAL "Metalero" (Cd. Guzmán, Jalisco, México) - See all my reviews
Do not be fooled by the size, it really sounds great, does not ask anything to a big speakers, definitely a good purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers, May 24, 2013
Replaced Pinnacle front Speakers in 7.1 surround. Change was dramatic. There was a great increase in clarity in sound. Both vocal and music. Am considering replacing the balance of the system with JBL speakers. I am not an expert in sound, but I know what I like to hear and theses produce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible clear sound, June 27, 2009
I bought these for a Yamaha DRX730 and I am really impressed of the perform of these speakers, I just can not believe how clear is the sound and the frecuence response is awesome, I can imagine how these would work with aditional channels and a subwoofer...

JBL ES20 High-Performance 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Black, Pair)
$379.00 $149.95