on May 11, 2013
You can hang these upside down from the bottom post hole (at your own risk, but mine have been hanging in the West Texas wind for 6 months). The bottom hole requires a 3/8-24 FINE thread bolt. All of the hardware I'm listing is readily available at Lowe's Home Improvement and the total cost for both brackets/mounts should be less than $10.

qty. (2) round, low-profile electrical fixture brackets (in the electrical section, get the ones that hold 50lbs but are NOT fan rated--they're slimmer)
qty. (4) 1/4" x 2" lag bolts, or #12 x 2" wood screws (I used lag bolts)
qty. (2) 3/8-24 FINE thread hex head bolt, 1.25" long (in the specialty bolt section)
qty. (2) 3/8 lock washer
qty. (12) 3/8 wide flat washer (wide enough to cover the hole in the middle of the fixture bracket)

Bust out the middle hole of the fixture bracket if covered. Turn the bracket so it looks like a cup and place three flat washers over the hole. Run the 3/8-24 bolt through from the top so just the threaded end sticks out of the bottom. The hex head should be slightly higher (~1/8") than the sides of the bracket. Find a ceiling stud and mount the fixture to the stud using the lag bolts. Run one flat washer, then the lock washer, then another washer up the bolt from the bottom. Screw (by twisting the entire speaker) the speaker onto the bolt until the lock washer engages. Voila! You've successfully hung these speakers and saved yourself at least $60 if you can even find the JBL brackets.
on February 28, 2007
These speakers sound much better than you'd expect. Clear highs, accurate midrange, and respectable bass. Soundwise, the only complaint one can have is a lack of tightness on the low end due to the ported design and lightweight cabinet, but still very good, will satisfy most. Note that compared to a 4" woofer, this 6" woofer has twice the surface area, bass extension is significantly improved over a smaller size. It has gold binding posts that will take 12 gage wire (I'm using 14). Overall, very nice product. They do not come with a mounting bracket, I used Product ID No. 3011 (33lb bracket) from monoprice, they fit perfectly. I doubt you can find something that sounds this good in this price range.
on August 28, 2011
I bought these speakers to set up outside for occasional parties, where they sound great. If you want to break windows with high volume for hours on end don't get these speakers. But if you want great sound at a reasonable volume, these are the ones. They are used full-time in my garage where they fill the room with great highs, lows and mid-range sound with no distortion. I have always loved the way JBLs sound. I now use JBLs exclusively throughout my house after trying a variety of other speakers over the years. I would highly recommend these speakers for rock, jazz, classical or any other type of music (I don't listen to rap, so I can't comment on that genre). Although not cheap, the price is right at Amazon - and they don't sound cheap, either. I love 'em so much I bought a second pair to mount under my eaves outside. Rock on.JBL Northridge N26AW II 2-way, 6" Weather-Resistant Bookshelf Speakers - Off White (Pair)
on June 29, 2012
These are great for covered outdoor patios. Not fully water resistant, so must be covered. The optional (sold separate) brackets work fine for mounting. These sound better than my indoor 8" ceiling Infinity's. Go for these if partially covered, otherwise you'll have to get the expensive Polk's or Boston's for full water resistance.
on August 2, 2005
The first thing I will comment on is that the speakers sound great. I have them mounted outdoors under an overhang pointed toward a patio area. They produce a full sound with good base throughout the area. Mounting was a little problematic. Unfortunately, the speakers did not come with any mounting hardware and buying the kit separately was a bit expensive. I couldn't find a good description or picture of the mounting hardware so I wasn't sure if it would have helped much. A little ingenuity should get the job done. There are some bolt holes and attachment points you can use. My only concern is with the weather resistant qualities. Appearance may be deceiving but visibly they don't seem to have any special weather proofing. Even though I have them mounted under the roof overhang they will get a good dose of wind blown moisture, so I'll have to wait and see. They have been up a month so far and continue to perform great.
on July 17, 2011
For a partially protected area like a covered porch, these work well. They seem to tolerate temperature change and moisture well and sound good. I like plenty of solid bass frequency sound, but listen at relatively low volume. The ported 6" speaker is substantial enough to produce plenty of bass, but is susceptible to a little 'boominess' at higher volumes only- a characteristic of most ported enclosures. The thick (and heavy) plastic housing keeps them stable if placed on the floor, but would require a securely anchored hanging bracket. A good choice for a reasonably priced porch speaker.
on July 2, 2005
I bought these speakers intended to install them on my deck.

Lazy me, the speakers never leave my game room, and become the surround speakers. (I have 2 floorstanding ND310II as my main).

Plus:

Great mid range

Treble is crisp

Good sound field

Minus:

Does not include mount. Also, specialized mount is needed.

When compared to similar brands and products, these JBL N26AW II really stands out.

There are not much bass when compared to my floorstanding speakers, so you need a subwoofer if you intend to use them as your main speakers.

I already pre-wire my audio cables to my deck. Someday, I will get the mounts and install them. I'd give it a 5 if the mounts are included.
on July 27, 2013
I'd owned a set of these speakers for seven years. They were mounted under the eave of my garage outdoors for that whole time. After seven years one of the speakers quit working so I replaced the set with a new (identical set). The speakers are a great value. They sound very good compared to speakers that cost more.
on November 6, 2008
Nice speakers. Great sound. No, the speakers are not going to rock your socks off. However, they do their job very well. Wonderful speakers for a deck or patio. They are quality made. One thing to consider is that these speakers are larger than you might think. They will need a sturdy mounting bracket to stay secure. Great product.
on March 28, 2014
I bought JVC because i had seen these used outside at a train station for the PA system. Figured they must be heavy duty. So far so good. Sound is good. Even though they recommend not mounting them from the top, I have done so under the eaves of my house and they have been up with no problems for years.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse