4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sound! A Few Potential Glitches.
I was dubious of this petite system's power (it was soooo much smaller than I imagined!) But the depth of sound produced was truly impressive! What follows are the pros and cons of the JBL On Stage IV. I hope they help you in your decision-making process.

Pros:
1.) This diminutive dock consumes very little space. Extremely efficient!
2.) Aesthetically...
Published on September 28, 2010 by Dr. E

3.0 out of 5 stars overrated
I was very excited for this item, and yes - it has great sound for something this small. And it charges your ipod. But there are so many things wrong.

Published on September 24, 2010 by Prof. Crayzee

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sound! A Few Potential Glitches., September 28, 2010
Dr. E (Bethlehem, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: JBL OnStage IV 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Pros:
1.) This diminutive dock consumes very little space. Extremely efficient!
2.) Aesthetically speaking, it is surprisingly intriguing to the eye. The criss-cross pattern is quite appealing/entertaining ... and, though I am not tremendously fond of glossy plastic, it really does work in contrast to the alternating speakers (see the picture and you will understand what I mean). When a product looks this great, fingerprints wipe off:) A truly stellar example of form and function!
3.) The sound was genuinely surprising. The base was richer than I expected. Very lush, indeed!
4.) There is virtually no excess energy used. There is no LED screen. Basically, the area surrounding the iPod is illuminated in a soft, white light. That is the only indicator that the product is on. This may appeal to those focused on conserving resources/energy.

(Potential) Cons:
1.) The power button is located on the back of the device. And, it requires more pressure and depth to activate than normal. On three separate occasions, I went to use the dock ... and each time I failed to actually turn it on. One must press down firmly to make it work (it sharply "clicks" into place). This will not impact most buyers but could be problematic for those with arthritis or any type of physical disability.
2.) Other than the power and volume buttons, there are no other button on the device. If one loses the remote-control (or breaks it), the product becomes a little difficult to use. (Those with precocious children may want to consider that when purchasing this item). However, the absence of these buttons really does contribute to a "slick" appearance (which I very much enjoy!)

For most folks, this unit be ideal: it is beautiful and provides great sound. For some, those small detractions I mentioned may prove prohibitive.
Good luck in your search!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound in a Small Package, September 23, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The On Stage IV is a very simple product. There is no screen and the only ports are an input (headphone jack for inputting sound from non-iPod devices), USB (to pass through to a computer if you'd like to sync while it is playing), and power. The power cord can be ditched in lieu of batteries, which go discreetly in the bottom. While the device looks great and would be at home in a fancy hotel, it is also quite small and I had pretty low expectations. The sound is really great, though. I compared it to my much larger set with separate left, right, and bass speakers and found it completely superior. It has surprising range. Speakers this small tend to have empty bass, but somehow the sound is quite full. Turning it all the way up, the speakers showed no sign of strain. The one area it can't compete in is audio separation, since the speakers are so close together. However, the strange angling fills the room with sound and works well for what it is. I was so impressed with the sound that I think it would make great portable speakers for a laptop as well, and it even did well with action scenes.

If you want something small with an interesting modern look, I think you'll be very happy with this speaker dock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sound!, September 22, 2010
HardyBoy64 "RLC" (Rexburg, ID United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This ipod dock with speakers has a cool design and is very sleek in appearance. It's very user-friendly for non-tech heads like me. But most importantly, the sound is AMAZING, given the size of the speakers. The sound has the perfect balance of bass and upper register notes. With classical music, the whole spectrum of sound is reached and with vocal music, the voice is not overly echoed, but rather right in the center of the sound. I was very surprised at how this little device could fill my living room with a full, rich sound. Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars The little speaker that could, April 20, 2011
I purchased this item due to my experience with the JBL On Stage IIIP, an earlier model of the same brand. Upon recieving this product, I immediately took it to work and compared its sound quality to its IIIP predecessor.

The technical specs indicates that the newer On Stage IV has a higher frequency range, and after thorough testing, I can say that this claim is true. The sound is crystal clear at higher volumes, does not distort and maintains pleasant treble clarity where the older On Stage IIIP starts to waver. The bass has hardly any noticeable improvement, which is ok considering the bass is surprisingly exceptional for such a diminutive and portable device.

The aesthetic design serves as exquisite form, and surprisingly higher function. It does a better job at spreading sound around an entire room than its older version due to the strategically placed sound drivers.

I gave four stars due to one design aspect that I question: The indicator LED within the dock. It's very bright, and is cause for concern for those who wish to operate this speaker on a set of batteries. I feel that due to its brightness, it may drain batteries at a slightly faster rate compared to the JBL On Stage IIIP. Otherwise, if you have no intention on using this speaker sans a wall outlet, you have nothing to fear.

Overall, this is amazing sound coming from such a small device, and a lot of my friends first encounter with it is usually met with shock and positive feedback. If you are looking for a small, lightweight, portable solution, JBL On Stage IV delivers THE BEST sound, pound for pound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great with iPhone 4S, November 22, 2011
hypnovision (Long Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this unit when I had the iPhone 3G, and it worked well with that. Now that I have the 4S, it works just as well with the new phone.

The sound quality is superb for such a small unit. It has a nice amount of bass and has good separation between lows, mids and highs. I use it at work, and it has more than enough volume for my needs. I don't usually blast it, but I've cranked it a couple of times just to see how it holds up at louder volumes, and it sounded great. It's not an audiophile's dream; but if you're an audiophile, you're going to be spending more than a hundred bucks on speakers, and you're not going to be spinning mp3's on an iPod/iPhone.

I only have two small complaints, and they're very minor--not worth bumping it down from five stars. 1) The light indicating that the unit is on doesn't show up well in bright light. 2) I wish it had a built-in rechargeable battery like the Logitech Pure-Fi Anywhere II (which I also own and use at home). If you're debating between the JBL and the Logitech--this unit has the edge in sound quality over the Logitech. I also thought I might use this unit as a travel piece, but it's a little bulky to pack in a carry-on. The Logitech comes with a case and packs pretty flat so it takes the edge in portability. So if you're debating between this and the Logitech, the JBL has the edge in sound quality, and the Logitech has the advantage in convenience/portability.

At work the JBL is always within arm's reach, so I rarely use the remote. When I have used it, it's worked fine. A few reviewers have had a complaint about the volume button on the back. It would be nice to have it on the front, but it's not hard for me to reach around on the back and press the ON button. And it's not THAT hard to turn on. I'm perfectly capable of exerting enough pressure with my index finger to push the power button in. In fact, my three year old can do it too. So don't let the button scare you away from a really good piece of equipment. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice compact iPod speaker system, January 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I just got a new iPod touch 4G and was looking for a good speaker dock to play and charge it at work. This fit the bill nicely. It looks nice on my desk, takes up very little space, and has very nice near-field sound. It has way more volume than I need in this situation, even though I have my own office. It has inserts to fit different iPod models. I have a case on my iPod, and what I found is that if I left the insert out of the dock, then my iPod fits in the dock perfectly even with the case on! Love it! Its one of the only ones have tried thus far that has done that.

3.0 out of 5 stars overrated, September 24, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

1. insert for iphone/ipod touch has a rubber bumper that is impossible to seat. At least, impossible by me (would it kill them to include inserts for other ipods too? The nano fits and works, for instance, but without an insert, it flops around on the dock connector

2. the light. It has a bright light on the front. That kind of lights up the ipod screen. Except the ipod already has a backlight, so this just glares on the screen making it harder to read

3. more about the light. Even when the ipod is off/disconnected - the light stays on. Unless you turn the whole dock off. With an inconveniently mounted rear switch

4. you NEED the remote to change the volume of your ipod doesn't have dedicated volume switch. So you can control every aspect of your device EXCEPT volume without the remote. (in fairness, this only applies to the nano (which they don't claim to support), and 1g touch (which they do)

5. remote buttons are awkwardly placed and hard to read

6. nowhere to dock the remote on the speakers when not in use

So if you are only worried about sound, and you like the styling, this will do nicely. Otherwise, you might consider something a bit better designed and implemented

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Apple Simple, Clean and Powerful, October 13, 2012
We've held out on a speaker dock for a while because we were traveling a lot and didn't know how much we would actually use it. And I generally don't spend $100 on something I don't use weekly.

With the new iPhone 5 changing it's base and no other real bonus adds, we decided we're sticking with our 4s' and iPod4 and we decided we really wanted a docking speaker system - not alarm clock quality/style but a great portable boom-box.

First we tried iLive ISP822B Wireless Speaker System for iPod/iPhone - Black because we saw it clearanced at Kohls for $95 plus 20% off coupon. I loved the concept of the bluetooth wireless speakers that could be separated around the room. Alas, the quality and dynamic range was weak. And when listening to an audio book, the speakers pauses caused delays to the wireless speakers.

Next up, we found this JBL speaker at a local retailer. We sampled it in the store and were pretty impressed. Now, it's sitting on our kitchen bar and it fills up the kitchen/family room just fine. At full volume, we have trouble hearing each other - sweet!

As I am writing this now, I can feel the base bouncing off my laptop from 5 feet away. With the audiobook playing, I can still hear and understand the author from 50 feet away across our main level.

To sum it up, here is what's important to us that the JBL OnStage IV 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock has in spades:
* GREAT SOUND RANGE - Bose-like base quality (not surround-sound quality, but well above portable docks) - great for baritone audio books as well. The middle voice range and the upper range are well-rounded without that cheap, brassy sound you hear on some small setups that rip the speakers with high volume use. I am running this at the highest volume consistently and it's crystal clear.
* SIMPLE - only 3 buttons, power, volume up/down. Some reviewers have stated that the power button is awkward because it has a heavier spring (rather than an electronic switch) but I have no problem with it. Volume buttons are easily accessible on the front and easy to find/operate with the single backlight. Your iPod/iPhone displays controls for skipping and controlling the player - no need for added cost and materials here. The remote works perfectly as well for making selections and changing volume at least 24 feet, line of site - more than enough for me.
* SMALL FOOTPRINT - as you can see by the picture, this takes up no more footprint than the bottom of a really large roll of paper towels.
* PORTABILITY - even as a wired device, this dock is small, lightweight and we'd be happy. To have a battery option (we have not tested this yet, but I will update this review once we do) - well, that ices the cake for us - to be able to take it out to the pool, in the back of the Suburban for tailgating, out to the driveway/garage when detailing the cars, out to parks/beaches or to family vacation houses, that will be the ultimate wow.
* FLEXIBIITY WITH OUR APPS/USE - the JBL works perfectly playing an iTunes library, playing Rhapsody (formerly Napster) or even playing Google Play (our online library of owned mp3s) through the Safari browser. Smack - no limits - that's the way a dock should be. This might be consistent across all docks, but since I don't know or have experience with docks other than the iLive mentioned above, it deserves mention in case this is your first as well and were wondering.

Bonus - when we're using our iPhones on the dock and a call comes in, the music pauses, switches to the phone app and rings through the base. NICE. Again, that is probably consistent across docks but worth a mention if you didn't know like me.

The only thing I would improve on this product is the remote control - the print from the logo to the buttons are all very light almost as if they were designed to be backlit. Mine are not and I can't see them without my reading glasses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound in a small package, January 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're in the market for a good iPod dock, you could certainly do worse than this good sounding and stylish offering from JBL. I'll run through the pros and cons in a moment, but the short story on this product is that it packs a lush, full sound into a small, portable package. It's perfect for those who want to take their music mobile. We rated our unit using a 4th generation 8-gig iPod Touch.

PROS:

First and foremost, this little speaker has a good sound. Deep bass, honest treble, full midrange.

Very portable. Can be used with power cord or batteries, meaning that you can take this baby just about anywhere.

Interesting look, with the criss-cross speaker pattern and the black, glossy finish.

Remote allows for control of iPod playlist, volume, and sound settings. You can also control volume on the unit itself, but that's all.

CONS:

Adapter doesn't allow you to seat your iPod with a skin attached, so you will need to remove it before you dock. Not a big issue, just sort of annoying.

No power button on the remote means that you have to use the button on the unit itself.

In summary, it's a good product with a couple of minor flaws. I know that we'll be getting a ton of use out of this dock, especially as the warmer weather comes in and we begin to entertain more out on the deck.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice portable speaker, September 22, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first dock/home player for my IPod Touch, so I have no other speaker systems I can compare it to. But overall, it's a nice little portable system, good for a small space - an office, or a single room of your house.

The sound quality is good, although the product lacks the ability to add anything to the mix (so your music can be a bit on the trebly side, depending on what you're listening to). I also noticed that it's a direct line in to the IPod - when I play my IPod in the car, I can manipulate the sound levels using the slider on the IPod and/or adjusting the volume on the radio. With the JBL On Stage IV Portable Loudspeaker Dock, using the volume slider on your IPod doesn't make any difference to the overall volume.

I like how it charges my IPod while I'm listening to music - a handy feature, since mine's nearing the end of its life and doesn't hold its charge as well anymore. When I use the car setup (charger plus tape adapter), usually the battery level never changes on my IPod even though it's charging. This product actually charges my close-to-dying IPod very well.

Recommended.