5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is WOW!!!!
Published on June 20, 2005 by Christine Holzmann

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, loud buzz
If you have to run the power cable next to other power cables, which you likely will, you may find that you get a loud buzz when there is no music playing. I believe this is due to improper or inadequate shielding of the power cable.

When the speakers are playing audio, the sound is great, but when they're not, the buzz is fairly nerve-wracking.

So,...
Published on January 15, 2007 by mmcwatters

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is WOW!!!!, June 20, 2005
Let me start by saying I am REALLY REALLY REALLY picky about the quality of sound. I needed a pair of speakers for my office (I have an older pair of speakers that I hook my iPod up to that I wanted to replace.) Well, I came across these and then searched for as many reviews as I could about them...most of the reviews turned out to be very good as a matter of fact! After doing a search for them, I saw they were available at Office Depot so decided to purchase them in-store...however, when I went there I did not see them and was told by a sales associate they were only available at their online store. The (very nice) gentleman then convinced me to rather go for some Logitech x-230 speakers with a sub-woofer. Very hesitantly, I decided to take a chance. Well, after plugging them in and listening to a sample of music, I unplugged them 1/2 a minute later and returned them the next day. I then decided to go ahead an purchase these JBL Duet speakers. They have just arrived, I just plugged them in...am listening to them right this very moment after sampling a variety of music (classical, heavy rock, etc.) and I must say...***WOW***...they are EXCEPTIONAL!!!!!!!!! Super crisp high notes & midtones with all the background instruments clearly coming through...listening to classical music is simply a pleasure!! On the other end of the scale, the rich, deep, full-bodied bass & undertones effortlessly carry the heavy rock & deep classical sounds giving the sound the true depth it needs to really appreciate the music for what it is. I highly highly HIGHLY recommend these!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Incredibly good sound for such small, inexpensive speakers, November 28, 2006
I'm an audio engineer, and I'm NOT easily impressed, but these little speakers are the best-sounding personal speakers I've ever heard. In fact, they're better than many larger, pricier systems.

The bass response is the biggest surprise. It's natural-sounding and open, not stuffy or forced, yet it has a surprising amount of punch for such small speakers, without being the slightest bit "boomy". To my ears in my listening environment, they have an amazingly smooth frequency response across the entire audible range.

In case you think I'm kidding, I usually mix on a pair of Genelec tri-amped studio monitors whose price tag was more than 100 times that of the JBL Duet speakers. On several occasions, I've opened GarageBand or Logic Pro 7 to record a musical idea and ended up doing a rough mix, forgetting that I was listening to the Duet speakers rather than the big monitors. At low levels in a near-field application (...sorry, that's audio geekspeak -- for all you normal humanoids who don't have the audiogeek mutant gene, that means the speakers are close to you...like on your desktop), these little speakers are surprisingly accurate.

I've owned my Duets for almost one year. I loved them so much that I immediately bought extra sets for my kids to use with their iPods. For the money, I've never heard anything better. My thanks to the folks at JBL for creating such a terrific speaker at such a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars From an avid amateur audiophile and student, October 15, 2007
Let me preface by saying I consider myself an audiophile but not an annoying music snob or superior techie geek. I am into technology just enough to get the sound quality I want and I'm willing to pay handsomely for it. I previously had Klipsch 2.1 for my computer until my speakers blew out and have Grado SR80s and Sennheiser SR100s for listening to music in my room and a pair of closed Sennheisers for travel.

Having said all that, now that I'm a student and spend most of my time in front of a laptop or else studying, my main criteria for speakers became PORTABILITY, portability, and more portability.

I wanted something light, easy to set up, easy to throw in a bag and travel with, and not nearly as expensive as my Klipsch 2.1's but with a comparable sound value for the price.

I was going to go with 'the other' pair of portable speakers that is popular on Amazon but picked the JBL's for their bass and the fact they were specifically designed to reproduce a 'bigger' sound for their size.

I am REALLY IMPRESSED and VERY HAPPY with my purchase!

Cons:
These aren't as sleek or portable as 'the other' pair. These will NOT fit comfortably into most laptop bags and while they are small and light, with their shape they will fit awkwardly in an overnight bag.

Also these are NOT usb powered so require more cords, which I hate. However, this means you don't need a computer to listesn to your MP3 player and makes these speakers truly portable speakers for any source with the typical mini plug. And they are portable sized.

Pros:
But the sound? The sound is GREAT! I listen to a lot of bass heavy electronica and these are PERFECT. The bass is NOT muddy and the sound quality overall is clean and rich for small speakers and they differentiate tones very well.

Comparing apples to apples, these are an awesome pair of small speakers and good value for the price. These will not shake your walls, but if you want that, don't be a cheapo and invest in a pair of real speakers.

I just listened to a track I had heard many times before on my laptop speakers. On the JBLs with the volume up I was able to hear a lot of new details -- I didn't like the details and erased the track. Thanks JBL for helping me clean up my music library!

Perfect for you AND your housemates:
Also, I have 2 roommates who are light sleepers and this is PERFECT. The sound is just right for me sitting at my desk but the sound does not travel through the walls or door. I don't know what the technical term for this is, but someone else mentioned these are not 'loud' enough for group purposes.

For a home office, dorm room, and solo use, these are a perfect pair of portable speakers with a small footprint.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, loud buzz, January 15, 2007
This review is from: JBL Duet Speaker System for Portable Music and PC - Aluminum (Pair) (Personal Computers)

So, if your speakers can be wired away from other computer cables, these are good speakers. But if you need to run the power cable near the other cables, you may get a buzzing sound.

2.0 out of 5 stars nice, if you can stand the buzz, August 18, 2006
For the size and power level, these speakers sound quite nice. But it seems as though they are not properly shielded. They produce a constant soft 60 Hz buzz that is rather annoying in a quiet environment. When my new speakers arrived I thought they were defective and exchanged them for another pair. But alas, the defect seems to be in design rather than manufacture since the replacement pair buzzes as well. If I were in an environment with some ambient noise, like an office, I might not be bothered. But in my quiet home study the buzz is quite irritating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Power Saving option turns off speakers after ~60 seconds!, August 16, 2011
I can't believe no one else is complaining about this feature.

1. Yes the speakers sound decent.
2. The hard to turn knob thing has been fixed, it's easier to turn now.

BUT the biggest annoyance is JBL has a power saving feature that turns off the speakers when it doesn't hear any noise in about 60 seconds. So you can play a song, it's done and within 1 minute the speakers power off. I then have to reach over and turn the knob to turn the speakers back on. It's fine when there is music playing, the sound is decent and the speakers stay on. But as soon as the music stops the speakers power off. This is especially annoying when I'm chatting online or doing something with intermittent sound. I might not have music in the background but I like hearing that little chime to alert me that someone has sent me an IM. But when the speakers have powered off in less than 60 seconds, I found myself turning these babies on an average of 10+ times a day. I figured this was just a setting that could be adjusted.

I called JBL corporate to get more information on this to see if I could disable it or change the timing window to be longer, but they said it couldn't be adjusted.

These speakers have been returned. Don't waste your time or money on these.

3.0 out of 5 stars JBL Duet PC Speakers: Yes for some, No for others., February 3, 2009
E. Hanya (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a 2.0 audio system with superior sound and eventually decided to get the JBL Duet. Being a composer myself, I know what kind of bass I can expect from such small speakers, but was still disappointed a great deal. I listen mostly to symphonic works - classical as well as contemporary film scores - and unfortunately, I can barely recognize them with these speakers. They make bass instruments (most commonly bass drums, but also tubas) sound overly loud, leading to unpleasant bass-booms, while orchestrational detail, whether coming out of strings, brasses, woodwinds, percussion or chorus - is sadly lost in its entirety.

Being a contemporary classical and film music composer and orchestrator myself, I find that while these speakers are excellent (for their price!) for songs in many genres, they do no justice to symphonic music, with the only exception of the simpler works from the baroque era and fully-solo works from all eras (e.g. solo piano). The true beauty of such music comes from its musical detail, and for their low price, the JBL Duet are unable to satisfy the ears (and mind!) of true lovers of such beautiful music.

To my welcome surprise, the speakers produce no unwanted noise (e.g. buzzing, clicks, humming, etc) even if both my sound card and speakers are pushed into the maximal volume. Complete silence. However, bear in mind that this may - or may not - change depending on the sound card you use.

Wi-fi antennas placed in a range of about 8 inch from each speaker may naturally cause unwanted funny noise (the baby monitor from the movie Signs comes to mind), which I believe applies to most non-studio speakers. Keep that 8 inch distance from each speaker and the noise is completely gone.

In conclusion, if you listen to pop, rock and other rather simple songs and look for 2.0 desktop speakers, these ones may be a good option with their good sound and low price. The high notes are indeed crisp and sound nicely, which I believe is going to appeal to lovers of such music!

However, if you intend to use the JBL Duet for: symphonic music, music that relies on deep basses (e.g. most electronic and dance music, as well as chillout music) or for films, I certainly do not recommend the JBL Duet.

(For the purpose of this review, I plugged the speakers into my state-of-the-art professional sound card in my studio. I believe the sound would be even more unsatisfactory if I plugged them into my computer's on-board sound card, as I believe most users would do for these 2.0 desktop speakers. Thanks for reading and I hope you make the right choice for your musical preferences!)

5.0 out of 5 stars JBL speakers for an iPod, December 7, 2004
I bought a pair of these for my iPod. They work perfectly for a bedroom, office, etc. These speakers put out some great sound. I ordered two more sets as gifts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than 3 piece computer speaker systems, March 4, 2006
I've owned the JBL Creature system which was very good with the exception of a "touch" volume control which was ridiculous, and a BIG HONKING SUBWOOFER that I tried to find space for.

If you live in an apartment, this is the best sound you can get.

Even if you don't live in an apartment, I think 3 piece computer speakers are lousy anyway. The MUDWOOFER typically muddies the sound with a big thomping bass which makes the music undistinguishable - who wants to listen this way while seated at their computer?

Buy the JBL Duet Speakers, you won't be sorry. Great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product, September 14, 2005
Just received my two JBL duet's...All I have to say is Awesome!!!!

Here's the Good:

1. The speakers are about the size of a beer. Great and not too overpowering on a small desk.

2. Great addition to a Mac...Especially the iBook or iMac! I've also got my iPod attached to the setup.

3. Awesome price for the awesome sound! These speakers are worth more than the $39 I paid here on Amazon.

Bad

1.Ugly green connector for the stereo output

2.Huge AC wall adapter

Overall I would suggest the speakers to anyone that wants GREAT sound at even better price!! I ordered these on Sunday night and got them on Wednesday with Amazon's free shipping.