Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on February 11, 2013
I have heard plenty of online reviews that the JBL Flip is having issues with the Bluetooth signal (weak signal, signal cutting out, etc) I have written Harman/JBL regarding this issue and they have replied that they are aware of the problem and have recently redesigned the BT antenna. They provided me s serial number cutoff of GG0054-189100. All units above this number will have the new modified JBL Flip with the new antenna. They are pulling out all "old" units from retail stores and replacing them with the "new" JBL Flips with the improved antenna that is supposed to have taken care of the BT signal issues of the old units.

JBL will be rolling out the new units in a few weeks (early March 2013) so please check the serial numbers before you purchase to ensure that you get one with the better BT antenna.

Just sharing...

UPDATE...The new units will be out mid March as per Harman/JBL advise and will should have serial numbers above 0189100.
6868 comments|698 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2012
I wanted a bluetooth speaker to synch with my Samsung Galaxy and from the reviews, narrowed it to the JBL Flip and the Soundfreaq Sound Kick. The speaker is meant to sit on the kitchen counter and fill up a great room of about 1000 sq ft so portability was not strictly a consideration, but I didn't want anything that would take up too much space.

To cut to the chase, although the Flip did sound very good, I decided to keep the Sound Kick. I was initially biased toward Flip due to brand recognition and I don't like the name Sound Kick, but that's just marketing.

Sound: As I said, both speakers sounded very good, but the Sound Kick had deeper bass response and more spacial separation possibly due to it's slightly larger size. Both got very loud with amazingly low distortion for speakers this size.

Size: The Flip is definitely geared toward portability and it comes with nice zippered case. The Sound Kick is maybe twice the Flip's size and is very rectangular, which might make it a bit harder to fit into an overnight bag.

Operation: Both speakers synched easily. The Flip has very minimal controls and is meant to be controlled via the media source. The Sound Kick has volume and navigation buttons, which makes it easier to adjust playback. Otherwise, with the Flip, I would have to "wake up" my phone and navigate to the music player to change songs or volume. One thing about the Sound Kick is that the power button has a click, but the other buttons are simply touch sensitive in that they don't depress or click. They are kind of twitchy and it takes some getting used to.

USB: In keeping with the minimalist design, the Flip does not have a USB connector. For my use, I like the USB on the Sound Kick so that I can charge the media source and it does eliminate one AC adapter on the counter.

Overall, both are impressive pieces of technology, especially for the price. Sound quality is subjective, but I would recommend the Flip if travel and portability were the main concern. While I preferred the Sound Kick for more of a desktop unit.

Oh, and yes, the Flip does play while plugged into the wall.
22 comments|271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2012
Hey everyone, a little background - I love music. I listen to it, I produce it, I make it. My favorite genres of music to listen to are techno, dubstep, rap and hip-hop. Of course I evaluated the Jambox, the SoundFreaq Soundkick (or is it Soundflip?), the Beats Pill, and the list goes on.

First off, the Jambox is not what you want, but you probably already know that. It is crazy to see them instantly drop their $199.99 price point down to $129.99 for the Holiday season. It's obvious they could have been selling it for much cheaper before and have been making bank off of a sub-par piece of equipment. The Dr. Dre beats Pill is awesome and sounds great, but its twice the price of the Flip and the JBL Flip can get just as loud if not louder.

After about 7-8 months of deliberating whether or not to get a bluetooth portable speaker, I finally went with the JBL flip and am fully satisfied. Again, I listen to bass heavy music and the Flip can handle it. I guarantee you that ANYONE that hears this little device will be impressed with its ability to fill a room with crisp balanced booming sound.

If you've been contemplating for some time, I would buy this product with little to no hesitation or concern.
11 comment|363 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2013
I had a specific purpose for buying a BT portable speaker. When I am out of the country for an extended period I load my Mac Book with movies. It is often noisy where I stay. Mac Book speakers are not anywhere near loud enough to listen without headphones. I also did not want to have wires all over.

I bought and compared the Logitech UM Mobile Boombox with the JBL Flip. I compared music (classical piano, opera, voice, & movies).

The Logitech had a flatter, more muted sound. The JLB Flip sounded clearer, if a tad tinny up at high volume. The JLB Flip was a clear winner on volume. It is designed to push out more air and it certainly sounds like it does. Sound quality in normal volumes was more pleasing to me in the Flip. But the real tie breaker was listening to movies. JBL Flip was the hands down winner. Excellent quality & extraordinary volume.

The Logitech has some features and facilities that the Flip does not. Logitech Boombox allows pairing up two separate devices, handy but not essential for me. It also claims longer battery life (though I did not test that out). The comparison is 5 hours for the Flip, which is apparently less than the norm, and 7 hours for the Logitech. For my purpose this was not a deal breaker.

The Logitech was nicely shaped with a confidence inspiring "rubber" kind of finish. The JBL had a metal mesh and looked good as well. The Flip comes with a protective case. The Logitech sits firmly on your surface. The Flip can lie down or stand upright. The upright position is not my favorite as it stands like the Leaning Tower of Pizza.

They are both compact & light weight for travel - about a pound.

Blue tooth pairing with the Logitech was straight forward. I had 2 tech calls to JLB with regard to pairing.

There is an issue with the JLB Flip's Bluetooth. It seems to be more sensitive to obstruction. I was able to play music in my study and listen with the speaker in my bedroom - about 25 ft apart. All was well until I walked between the two devices. The speaker got upset, but recovred.

I cannot address longevity as I have only had the Flip for two days. The warantee is 2 yrs on the Logitech & only one on the Flip.

The Logitech comes with a generic charging wire & USB TO AC plug. This allows you to use the wire to charge the speaker from your laptop. The Flip comes with a proprietary plug. Not a deal breaker for me as I would normally charge it overnight.

Bottom line - The JLB Flip is a keeper, based on volume and sound quality. The Logitech UM Boombox went back. By using my American Express Card I doubled the warrantee on my Flip.

Just a note. These Bluetooth portable speakers run on Lithium rechargeable batteries - which limits their life span as the batteries are not replaceable.

Price was the same for each of these items - $99.
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2013
I have heard plenty of online reviews that the JBL Flip is having issues with the Bluetooth signal (weak signal, signal cutting out, etc) I have written Harman/JBL regarding this issue and they have replied that they are aware of the problem and have recently redesigned the BT antenna. They provided me s serial number cutoff of GG0054-189100. All units above this number will have the new modified JBL Flip with the new antenna. They are pulling out all "old" units from retail stores and replacing them with the "new" JBL Flips with the modified antenna that is supposed to have taken care of the BT signal issues of the old units.

Just sharing...
2424 comments|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2013
The JBL flip is an amazing bluetooth speaker.

Pros:
1. Setup is quick and easy.
2. Switching between different phones is easy as can be.
3. Sound is crisp and clear
4. Can be VERY loud and still not distort
5. Bluetooth range is great
6. Speaker for phone calls works AMAZING! I used it to talk to my wife when i was ~20 feet away and she said she could hear me just fine and I didn't have to raise my voice at all

Cons:
1. For some reason mine was missing the center JBL symbol... Kind of frustrating cause it looks weird with a small indent in the middle with nothing in it but oh well. I'm sure I could return it but it's not a big enough deal for me

I tested other bluetooth speakers (pill, logitech etc) and found these not only the best, but also well priced.
on January 10, 2013
After reading the reviews for a number of speakers I couldn't decide. I went to a Big Box store where I could listen to them myself. And this little speaker actually beat the bigger and more expensive speakers. My reviews below.

Bose Soundlink II: Handles volume well without distortion. Treble and midrange sound good. The bass sounds awful. There is no pump to it; it's just muffled sounding. For The price of the speaker, and reputation of Bose this is a disappointment.

Jawbone Big Jambox: Awful! Just awful. This thing had very little bass. It distorted horribly when trying to get some decent volume out of it. I tried two of them just to make sure; and they both sounded very bad. Not worth anywhere near the price they are asking.

Beats portable beatbox: Sounds great, but no rechargable battery. You have to fill it with your own batteries. For the price it needs to come with a built in rechargable.

Beats Pill: Great volume, great treble and midrange. Zero bass. Far too pricey for what you get.

JBL Flip: This thing is louder than the Bose, and Jawbone, but is as small as The Pill. Unlike the other systems this little guy puts out some bass. Has great treble and midrange. Only complaint is that it has it's own recharge port instead of the mini usb that most devices use now. All in all--for sound, price, and quality this little speaker is far superior to the competition.
on December 6, 2012
I was looking for a small yet powerful bluetooth speaker to compliment my Ipad and my Ipod Touch. I already have the Bose portable docking station which is a gr8 speaker system however, NO bluetooth. I found after a while the Boses weight gets to be heavier the more you move it around. I found the JBL Flip which fills all of my needs. It is bluetooth capable, light with a rich full sound. Much to my amazement this L'il guy can go very loud sans any distortion. It also has a long battery life. I took it to work and listened to some tunes on this very small (easy to hide) speaker system. My co-workers loved the music and had a hard time finding this iconspicuous mighty mite. They all made comments about how good & rich my JBL Flip sounded. I was able to listen to music for the whole 8 hours of my shift. I purchased the unit in white because they ran out of the black units. I find both colors pleasing to the eye. I have told my friends about The JBL Flip and after listening to my L'il guy, two of them have already purchased their own JBL Flip. I'm sure this is going to be a gr8 seller for Christmas...
22 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2014
The sound was great. The first one I bought stopped working after 2 months. Didn't keep any of the boxes so seller would not take back. In Aug.2014 I bought another one because I really liked the sound. Wish I had read the reviews first. It's now October and dead again! Will not charge. I will never buy another JBL product again. Amazon states that it is not returnable because it passed the date (Sept). Working with seller on return.
on April 5, 2014
Given the small size of this speaker, it has amazing sound. The bass and overall range is great, again considering the size of the device. I love the Bluetooth connection and the rechargeable lithium battery as well. I very much recommend this speaker for anyone who wants excellent sound for an iPad, iPod or pretty much any device with digital sound.