WD My Book Studio II - 2 TB (2 x 1 TB) USB 2.0/FireWire 800/eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive
Used & New from: $110.83
JBOD support? Can I use this in a JBOD config (ie: two separate drives, no RAID)? Or is RAID required?

Thanks!
asked by R. Wyatt on March 5, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
In RAID 0 if one of the disks dies you'll lose all the data (including the one on the second disk), due to the way RAID 0 distributes the data between disks. If you go JBOD it's "every disk for himself" sort of speak. This is something people often overlook, but with RAID 0 your chances of loosing the data is twice as high.
Ronen Abramov answered on October 14, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
From my limited research, you cannot use this drive in a JBOD configuration because of the controller. Though I saw one post where someone stated they were able to reformat the drives with Disk Utility on OSX, and making sure they did NOT install the WD software, almost every other comment said JBOD wouldn't work. I wanted to do the same thing but decided it wasn't worth experimenting. I'm happy (one week so far) using it as RAID 1 -- also tried RAID 0.
Jack Gurney answered on March 24, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
And there are the Windows Home Server setups, with JBOD you can present two physical drives to your Home Server by using only one Firewire port, one enclosure... All advantages. :-)
RatoCego answered on February 24, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
i don't see why you couldn't just make two separate partitions anyway, give them different letters and have them show up as two separate logical drives?

but i'm not sure why you'd want a JBOD configuration here; since the drives are the same size wouldn't you just want RAID 0 anyway?
Alexander Koutzoukis answered on April 14, 2009
Comment | 0 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product