4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Lightweight Earbuds w/ Great Sound
Published on February 21, 2012 by Hyoun Kim

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent Sound -- Durability Issues
These headphones sound really nice and look good-- however after a couple months of use, the cable began separating from the connector, making these headphones unreliable.

I was sick of buying cheap headphones and thought these would be durable enough to keep around for a while, but it turns out they're just the same as every other pair. OK.
Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Lightweight Earbuds w/ Great Sound, February 21, 2012
This review is from: JLab JBuds J6 High Fiedelity Metal Ergonomic Earbuds Style Headphones (Nero Black) (Electronics)
Although "earbuds" (in reference to headphones) are a general classification, I consider there to be two different types of earbuds. The first are earbud heaphones that just fit just over your ear canal where the speaker is just on top of the canal. The second type of earbud headphones are the noise isolating type where the actual speaker is inserted into the ear canal with a surrounding foam or rubber tip that serves 2 functions. The first is a slight pressure to allow it to stay in place and the second is to seal the ear and isolate noise (both from the headphone & outside) at the same time. These JBuds J6 by JLab are the latter type (noise isolating).

Practically, all earbuds with the canal tips are considered noise isolating to a certain degree. Noise-isolating (in-ear) phones use a passive system, simply sealing the ear. To the 30db or so reduction in all outside noise this alone provides, sound is enhanced by being sent directly into the ear. The ratio of music to outside noise in the ear is, therefore, extremely high. They need no batteries, are lightweight and compact.

Specifically for those of you that have been shopping around, you probably noticed that JLab actually makes 8 different types of JBuds and may be confused on what the heck the differences are between all of them... Truth be told, there are actually slight differences between all of them. With the exception of the BOQARI Q1 JLab line, all of them have an OPTION of having a mic built-in for those of you that are using them with your phone/smartphone. The addition of a mic typically adds $10 to the MSRP but the price on Amazon varies (for example the J6 model with the mic is $12 more than the one without on Amazon JBuds J6 High Fidelity Ergonomic Earbuds-style Headphones (Nero Black)
vs JBuds J6M High Fidelity Ergonomic Earbuds-style Headphones with Microphone (Nero Black)).

** JBuds JBuds Hi-Fi Noise-Reducing Ear Buds (Black) - These are the base model version of JBuds. They MSRP for $49.95 but can be had for $10... which to me means they aren't any better than anoother standard pair of noise isolating earbuds.
** JBuds J2 JBuds J2 Premium Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating Earbuds -Onyx Black - MSRP $79.99 but $14.95 on Amazon. These were considered JLab's best selling earbuds for a while until they released the J5. The J2 was created to be better than the stock earbuds that typically come with portable audio devices, but included noise isolation, higher durability, and better sound. Due to the size, you had pretty good power.
** JBuds J3 JLab J3 Micro Atomic In-Ear Earphones with Travel Case - Jet Black - MSRP $79.99 but $19.95 on Amazon. Many people compare these to the J2, as they are near the same price but the J3s have some differences. First, it comes with a travel case and are a bit smaller in size. Because of the size reduction, you get a smaller driver which doesn't have as good of a range and lacks bass response in comparison. But still, some people prefer these over the J2s.
** JBuds J4 JBuds J4 Rugged Metal In-Ear Earbuds Style Headphones with Travel Case (Obsidian Black) - MSRP $89.95 / $33.40 on Amazon. So you may be thinking, for nearly double the price, are these headphones 2x better than the J2s or J3? Not really, but these are still decent earbuds that come with a travel case. The J4 was created with durability in mind: the buds are made of metal, the cords and molding are thicker. At the same time, the J4 becomes a little bulkier but with size, you get a slightly bigger drive that combines the punchiness from the J2s and the nice clarity of the J3s.
** JBuds J5 JBuds J5 Earbuds-style Metal Headphones for iPod, iPad, Tablet, Kindle (Black Pearl) - MSRP $59.95 / $29.95 on Amazon. The J5 marks the 5th model of the JBuds line and although there's a $30 price drop compared to its siblings in the JBuds line, the J5 takes a little bit of everything from the previous versions and combines them into one unit. The sound is good, the build is a bit more durable but with a slimmer profile and comfortable fit.

Finally we get to the meat of my review for the JBuds J6 line. To my knowledge, the J6 line isn't supposed to follow or displace the J5s, but rather be another option to the J5 just as the J3s were to the J2s. Remember, the J3s focused on travel/comfort. The J6's major features is that they are the slimmest, most lightweight, and comfortable JBuds produced to date.

The J6 is made of lightweight aluminium and is the size of about the tip of a woman's pinky finger. Since the focus is on comfort, this comes with a total of 7 different tips (four single, three double) in different sizes for maximum comfort. So if you're wondering if these will comfortably fit your ears, it's safe to say yes, it will considering the size of the tips range from small to large. As a bonus, a vinyl faux-leather pouch comes with the earbuds as a carrying case.

With the tiny size of the J6 comes a smaller driver (the smallest one out of all the JBuds) and with a small driver comes a smaller range of sound and less "boomier" bass than the other JBuds. Even with this con, the highs and mids still sound fantastic and the bass is still decent. But because of the noise-isolating feature, these earphones can be very loud if you want them to be. The sound quality given the price is pretty good, but I would prefer a bigger driver like that found in the J5s, J4s, or even J2s and sacrifice the clearness of the highs and mids. Regardless, I think for the price, these aren't bad but considering that the J5s, the J4s, and even J2s are cheaper, you might be happier with those since the driver is bigger.

One final con I have to say about these earbuds is that they don't seem to be very good for people on the go due to the amplified sound when friction hits the actual cord. What I mean by this is that it's very similar to the effect you hear when you put on a stethescope. That's what you will hear if the cable rubs across your shirt. Of course, this sound is drowned out when actual music is playing but when I have to press pause to stop listening to my music for a minute, the stethescope sound is what you would expect to hear while these are still in your ear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality pair of buds, January 4, 2012
I had been shopping around for a good pair of in ear headphones for a few weeks when these went on sale. Let me break down my overall experience.

The packaging was very simple and easy to get my buds out of.

This set came with a rather large assortment of tips. After trying a few out, the medium sized single flange ones gave the best fit for my ears.

It also came with a very nice leather pouch to store the buds tangle free.
I have not used the included clip so I am not sure on its effectiveness.

I was immediately surprised by how comfortable these buds are. Hands down best ones I have owned. (I normally shop in the 20-25 dollar range though) I listened to music for around 4 hours strait and kept on forgetting I had them in my ears. They are also very low lying so I can rest my head on the pillow without it bothering me.

The cord stays about 95 percent untangled even without the case. However, the 2 separate lines for the headphones sometimes like to twist around each other. I just let them hang from the other end and it unwraps.

Probably my favorite thing though is the bass on these buds. (after I found the correct tip)

For 30 dollars these where a steal, and miles ahead of any bud I have ever owned. However, I can't really compare them to the $50 price range of buds. I would still recommend these though as I have been super happy with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars not an audiophile by any means, maybe an audio enthusiast at best, December 2, 2012
I'm not an audiophile by any means, maybe an audio enthusiast at best. I won't spend an outrageous amount of money for equipment, rather I try to get the most out of my investment. I listen mostly to mp3's and streaming music (i.e. Pandora) and I'm aware of the reduction of definition and detail because of the compression.

I was in the market for a decent set of in-ear monitors that I could pay for with whatever cash I had in my wallet at any given time and that's not much at all. I planned to use them at work and didn't want on-ear or full sized headphones and I wanted a little passive noise cancellation. I settled on the JLab J6. I wasn't familiar with JLab before this purchase. There are so many players in the field with veterans like Sennheiser, Shure, and Audio Technica and others like Beats by Dr. Dre but made by Monster Cable, which might explain why they're unreasonably expensive because Monster sells ridiculously marked up cables at chain electronic stores. But that's not what I'm here to discuss.

I decided to give the J6 a shot by default after reading decent reviews and the low entry cost. The unit appears to be well constructed. The marketing material states that it has titanium micro drivers, 24 karat gold plated jack, and Kevlar reinforced cable. The earbuds are small and can fit snugly and very comfortably in my ear canal, almost like hearing protection plugs. Included are several silicone tips of different sizes and shapes so finding one that fits perfectly in my ear was no problem. The cable is sturdy with a rubbery feel and retains its shape fairly well. The jack is offset at 45 deg. which is a nice compromise to the straight or 90 deg. bends found on other units.

Now to the important part, the sound. Right out of the box, the sound was clear. The clarity was much better than anything packaged with music players. I wasn't expecting too much given that these aren't studio quality, four digit priced units certified by THX, Dolby, rap artists, or the like. But there seemed to be something missing from the sound. Clarity aside, it just sounded hollow. I listened to different types of music that offered a wide range of sonic variance. The J6 seemed to excel at higher frequencies where the sound was sharp and crisp. The mid frequencies were clear and flat. But it was at the lower end of the spectrum where the unit seemed to fall short. There just didn't seem to be much bass at all. I'm not looking for head thumping bass but there seemed to be too much of a bias towards high frequencies. Overall, the sound was crisp but lacking warmth. I was kind of disappointed. I felt it had something to do with the micro-sized drivers (6 mm) that are smaller than just about any other IEM.

I had to do some independent research to find the high quality sound that I read about the J6 before purchasing. This is when I came across one of my greatest discoveries for sound monitors - burn in. I mentioned the sound out of the box because there is a difference between brand new drivers and ones that have been broken in, or burned in. Just like shoes, sound drivers need some time flexing before they reach their comfort zone. Some audiophiles say there is no such thing and it's a placebo effect. Regardless of whatever the effect is, the J6 sound considerably better after I burned them in. So there's the bass and it's rather impressive! The sound is much better balanced with the crisp highs and tight lows. The low frequencies aren't over pronounced but definitely noticeable now where I couldn't really detect much before. There's good tone and the sound is warmer.

JLab has their own burn-in tool on their webiste that is a player set on a continuous loop. It plays white noise, pink noise, radio white noise, 20-20000 Hz frequency sweeps, 10-30000 Hz frequency sweeps, 20-200 Hz frequency sweeps, as well as a minute of silence in between each for a rest period. They recommend 4-5 hours a day for 5 days at a medium volume. I ran it a few days ago and now I'm shocked how well that worked. It has unlocked the potential of these drivers.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good earbuds for the price., February 5, 2012
This is the 3rd set of earbuds I have owned. They sound as good as more expensive sets. They come with a lot of different sized and shaped inner ear cushions, which is very nice. The cord is a nice length and made out of supple rubber material. They rest in my ear well. I loop them over and around the back of my ear. That gives 2 benefits. It cuts down on sound traveling into my ear from the cord rubbing or touching things (like even my shirt), and it helps the buds stay in my ear better. I got the silver and like the color. One thing I noticed that may be a downside for some - I don't see the buds marked left/right. If they are marked I haven't found it. Course, I don't see that as a big deal. It doesn't matter to me.

Update - the left and right are marked. On what I consider the underside.

Update - My wife washed my buds after I left them in my running shorts. My bad. They also got dried in our gas dryer. I figured they were ruined, but they sound just as good as they did before the mishap. :-) Maybe my hearing isn't the best are they are a very durable set of buds.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
5.0 out of 5 stars ERRATUM: They sound great after break-in period, October 25, 2013
INITIAL MISGUIDED REVIEW:

I got them for $12.99 on woot to replace a pair of Bose IE2s whose wires are fraying: I overpaid. I checked reviews on Amazon before purchasing, figuring that 200+ reviews can't be off by much. Well, I guess I'm the outlier because I find the sound of these things irritatingly terrible. On the plus side, you'll love them if you absolutely can't stand bass, because these things can't seem to generate any significant sound below 500 Hz. And I tried the bassiest of bassy bass songs: if you can barely hear the bass on Lil' Wayne or Three 6 Mafia, you're in trouble. I even listened to "extreme bass!" and various "top ten bass songs" videos on youtube. Nothing! I may as well have been listening through aluminum cans... after turning the bass down to zero.

Plusses: They seem well constructed and sturdy. Fine if you suffer from a rare form of autosomal dominant phonophobia.

Note: I'm not an audiophile but I know what music should sound like. There's a reason some musical instruments produce low-frequency sound (commonly referred to as 'bass'). I've had a number of headphones and earbuds over the years: love the Bose IE2s and various Sony MDRs. Even the MEElectronics ones were much better than the JLabs. Of course, my Audio Technica, Able Planet, and Martin Logan headsets blow these out of the water but that's an unfair comparison, I suppose.

########## EDIT ##########

EDIT: The manufacturer (JLab 5-start service) kindly responded to my initial (very harsh review) and recommended that I "break-in" the earphones. I followed their recommendation and shuffled my music collection on-and-off for ~40 hrs playing time. Having never had a break-in issue before, I was skeptical and didn't hear much improvement after ~10 hours. After the full break-in period, the sound had IMPROVED REMARKABLY! Instead of the bass-less tin cans I started off with, I was hearing the full range: including lots of deep bass. The difference was really nigh and day. I have to say that the sound quality now is excellent! So I'm upping the rating to a 4-star for sound quality (my Bose IE2s still sound better). Plus, I'm giving JLab's customer service the bonus point for being extremely responsive to their customers (and not patronizing jerks).

DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE: BREAK THESE JBUDS IN BEFORE WRITING A BAD REVIEW FOR POOR SOUND QUALITY: IT DOES GET BETTER, A LOT BETTER.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 1, 2013 3:28:05 PM PDT
Hi there!

We are sorry to hear about the sound issues you had with your earbuds (J6M-BLK-FOIL) and we want you to know that is definitely not the experience so many of our customers have! It is highly recommended to put new headphones through a burn-in process and you can find the information and actually complete the exercise on the JLab Audio website. Burning in your earbuds GREATLY improves the sound quality and there are also troubleshooting tips you can try as well.

Your earbuds have a one year warranty that will get you hooked up with a fast and free replacement if the burn-in process and troubleshooting tips do not resolve your issues.

We strive to satisfy every customer and will do what it takes to help make it right with you. Please visit the JLab Audio website, email us at amazon@jlabaudio.com or call us at 866.358.6640. We hope to hear from you soon Kevin!

Hook it Up. Rock it Out.

JLab Audio

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD STUFF!, August 22, 2012
Jeff Robinson (Moorestown, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Just opened these about an hour ago and felt compelled to write a quick review... They impressed me that much.

I'll be honest, my expectations weren't terribly high. I was looking for a lower-priced IEM that would hold me over while I searched for my temporarily misplaced (hopefully) Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro's.

My first impression is that these are very smooth and easy to listen to for extended periods. The earbud itself is relatively compact and sits in my ear canal quite comfortably. The bass response is not as tight as the really high-end stuff ($200++), but is certainly present without sounding muddy. Midrange tends to be a problem with most of the earbuds I've tried, but it's quite smooth with these. Highs are also present and clear without being overstated or harsh.

Sure, there are better sounding IEM's out there, but you'll pay a LOT more (triple at least) to get better sound. To most people who've not experienced a high-end set of Sennheisers, Shure's, or Ultimate Ears, these will probably be the best sounding headphones they've ever heard.

ANYONE who's upgrading from whatever came with their player is in for a BIG and pleasant surprise. Not only will I recommend these to friends and family, but they shouldn't be shocked to find these showing-up around birthdays and Christmas! Shhhhhh...

5.0 out of 5 stars the very best ear buds i ever imagined by android user, January 9, 2012
well as you might know from title these ear buds are totally amazing and no i dont work for company , I am a person who lives in AZ and have had the experience of other ear buds from jlab
and these J6m's are high fidelity and have a spacious sound and the bass is very good also, the thing i think that escaped the last reviewer is that there is something that requires a deeper look
these ear buds are the most comfortable i have ever tried on and the pictures even on amazon don't do any justice on these great ear buds (*the mic that comes with this is also really great to appreciate and respect about something you know for sure !

5.0 out of 5 stars Another high quality product from JBuds..., February 9, 2012
Very high quality sound for the price level. You would be hard-pressed to find another set of earbuds that will perform as well as these do for under $30. Highly Recommended, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great earbuds, Great Customer Service, August 12, 2012
R.L (Northampton, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
I got these earbuds as a replacement for another product from JLAB that I bought on Amazon. I'm not a music connoisseur or very high tech but I listen a lot to both music and books on cd on my ipod and these earbuds deliver clear sound without any tininess. The titanium silver is also very smart looking and they come with so many options for sizing that even with my small hard to fit ear canal, I was able to find a tip cushion that fit perfectly and didn't fall out of my ears like so many others have done. I also really want to say what fabulous customer service JLAB provided. When I had difficulty with the original product I bought they worked with me endlessly until I just couldn't get the knack of using that product and gave up. So I wouldn't go away empty handed, they offered me my choice of any another product. It was probably the best customer service experience I've ever had in my life. I would buy anything from this company. Hoorah for JLAB!

5.0 out of 5 stars bomb, February 25, 2012
got these head phones in, i listen to rap, rock, an everything in between. handles all the different styles really good. that alone sold me to look more at this manufacture. oh wait whats the bonus? there made out of metal. so cool it caught me off guard an is a nice bonus as well