Top positive review
12 people found this helpful
Works great, charges AAA, AA and 18650 (3.7 v L-ion)
on May 21, 2013
Very simple charger that has simple readout but no real instructions. For me that was not a problem as the device and readings where very intuative. First of all you slide the silver pin towards the bottom to insert the battery (Look on device for polarity) If you get it wrong it won't charge so no worries.
Here are the lights and what they mean:
All 3 flashing together=Bad Battery. Dispose of properly (not in the trash)
All 3 lighting up in sequence=charging a drained battery
First one stays lit and other two cycle=Charging a partially charged battery
First two lights stay lit and last one is blinking =Battery almost charged
All three fully lit=battery charged
Blue light on means power is to unit.
If you unplug the device and plug it again the charger will go through a test mode for a few seconds and then restarts the charging process.
The bottom of the unit can get rather hot. I will give the actual temps the next time I use this unit at home which will be in a few weeks. If you have something that is sensitive to heat like a fine wood table, I would suggest either placing this unit elsewhere or put something underneath the unit that will not retain heat like a cloth or towel.
Easy to use, just plug in, place batteries and let it charge
Can charge any number of batteries at a time up to 4. Many other chargers must be done in pairs. One reason this can be real bad is that if you put a dead battery and a battery that needs to be topped off in the same channel the charger you won't get the best results. This charger has 4 independant channels.
Can charge any combination of batteries AAA, AA Nicad and/or NIMH even 3.7 volt LION
Can charge 18650 batteries 3.7 volt LION
Has port of car power input (adapter not included)
Does not have refresh mode
Lights are nice and easy to read, but no display of exact charge/volts/mah
Blinking lights could be distracting at night. I'm thinking dorm room I strongly suggest not cover the unit up (Fire hazard) but perhaps using a little white out over lights or tape to dim them if this is a problem.
Made in China like everything else. When it fails it become another thing in the trash.
Not sure if this is a problem, but this unit does not have a plug built into the unit it has a short cord. I am not a big fan of the plug in chargers to be honest. For people that travel it does make it easier and more compact, the minus to that is the plugs that flip out look so flimsy and is just another weak point of failure IMO. Sometimes you take two spots to just plug this type in or in my case a plug in is unusable in my computer room where I intend to use it because the power strip only has a small spot for power left.
I bought a different unit that had a refresh cycle and a power adapter instead of a cord. Part of the heat build up in this unit I'm sure is the transformer.