Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 25, 2014
I have read many books on the Kennedys and JFK Jr. specifically. This is the only one that made me see him as a normal individual. I loved the stories of the ribbing and practical jokes JFK Jr dished out to Matt Berman and others. It is very rare that you read anything deragatory about JFK Jr. and he seemed to be honestly loved by all who really knew him. I also was glad to read that Carolyn was also a lovely person. She is so often depicted as an ice princess and did come across that way in many photos. It appears that she also was loved by all who really knew her. I would have liked to read more about her sister Lauren and how she interacted with JFK Jr.

JFK Jr seemed to be an old soul and taught life lessons to his friends in how to interact with people. He had a wonderful life that was cut way too short. This book brings out the human side of JFK Jr. rather than put him on a pedestal.

The book is also about Matt Berman, his life, and how he got to his position at the magazine George. I enjoyed the parts about how they decided on their covers for the magazine and how they went about photographing them. My only criticism about the book is that it was just too short. It left me wanting to know more and read more about this fasinating man and the people who worked and interacted with him.
on May 24, 2014
This is a very touching and interesting book about JFK Jr. and his time at George Magazine. Berman offers great insight into the person he was, rather than the image many of us have of John, the icon. Both John and Matt are very interesting people and this book shines a light on both. I highly recommend this book.
on April 15, 2015
The ONLY reason I bought this book was because you worked with John and were friends. This book, like Rosemarie Terrenzino's, and Rob Littel's, and Carole Radziwill's books, are the ONLY books anyone ever needs to read if they truly want to know who John was, what he was really like as a person, what he stood for and believed in, and why he was truly so loved.
It wasn't because he looked like a Greek God, was the son of Camelot, and next to his father was the most famous Kennedy. It was because he was a real, down to earth normal person, a gentleman to the extent that's rarely seen, and the truest of friends.
Kudos, MattBerman, for sharing your memories and stories of John. It's so nice to read about HIM and not what some author who never knew him thinks of him and passes along hearsay and gossip as if it were fact, to make a buck off his name...like a couple of so called friends of John's.
It still seems like the loss of John is somehow a mistake of fate; like it should be impossible to take someone like him when he had so much to do, so many lives yet to touch.
Thanks, MattBerman.
on October 14, 2014
As a once subscriber of George Magazine, I loved reading about the trials and tribulations of getting it off the ground. Matt Berman did a fine job of making this reader feel like "I was there too". I loved his analogy of the parallels in his life and JKF, Jr. Almost everything I have ever read about JFK, Jr. is positive. His friends seem very loyal, and after reading this book I can see why. We all like to have a friend who brings out the best in us, and everybody, as Berman claims JFK, Jr. did. My first thoughts on reading this was the sheer amount of money that must have been spent for all those celebrity covers. The financial problems of the magazine were only alluded to, but never expounded on. As a subscriber, the best thing about "George" was all the celebrity invterviews. I enjoyed reading all the accounts of shooting some of the most popular covers with well known celebs like Demi Moore, etc. It was obvious JFK, Jr. could land any interview due to his own celebrity. Although Kennedy's excellent people skills seemed numerous, his lack of judgement on other matters was never mentioned. All in all, this is well worth reading for its insight into many people, including Berman.
on March 12, 2015
This is a book about publishing and the role Matt played in making George come alive. It gives a detailed view into the inner workings of George through the eyes of a hard worker whose vision was put to life in George. The book felt truthful; the author didn't fake the truth. I liked that. He said it like it was. He didn't just say Babs is so great and easy. No, he told the truth of his contact with her irrespective of their celebrity. How Demi was beautiful in person but totally took over cover shoot idea. And through it all you get a deeper view into how John's warmth and love impacted the lives around him. How John helped the author to value who he really was, a vibrant, talented, good-looking, confident person. This isn't a dumbo gossip book. It's genuine and you have to invest in the author's life to truly appreciate it. It may not be for John worshippers, but it is definitely for those that want a real look at the people and activities that surrounded him.
on February 14, 2015
I haven't read a lot of things on the Kennedy's but for some reason John Jr. fascinates me. Berman made John a real person, not just a Kennedy. The story of how they had breakfast together and John waited patiently for his friend while he attended to business showed what a gentleman John was and in the telling, how special their friendship was. Berman was even kind in his telling of Carolyn and John's relationship, again, just like regular people. Berman obviously misses his friend and probably has told the story through the eyes of that loving friendship, but I enjoyed it anyway. Good read.
on November 19, 2014
Matt worked as the artistic director of the magazine so he got to know JFK Jr. very well. He had a difficult time realizing that John really liked him as a friend. It was a wonderful glimpse into John's life. He was real and treated all people the same--with dignity and grace. I am happy to know what a good, decent person he was--much of it thanks to his mom. An excellent read!
on December 22, 2014
Wonderful addition to my growing collection of Kennedy Memorabilia. I've always been a JFK reader and have the majority books written about him, before and after the assignation. I have followed both children over the years, keeping track of their successes, as well as the lesser accomplishments. John John died well too young. That's one reason I continue to research his death, along with other family tragedies. I'm happy to add this to my other books and paperwork. Note: References from the magazine GEORGE are also useful research materials. If you need a certain monthly copy, I have extras!
on February 7, 2015
This book came to me highly recommended and did not disappoint! The book gave fascinating insight into the world of creating George magazine--especially the creative covers. The author related his experiences of working with John and developing a friendship with him as they shared an intense passion for the magazine. I had a hard time putting this book down. Great read!
on July 5, 2014
Candid, Intimate invitation into a world Matt Berman is generous to share with us. I thoroughly enjoyed every word of this book and could feel the author's joy and pain. Wonderfully written for his friend from his friend.