5.0 out of 5 stars Better than sliced bread!
This item was EXACTLY as described. My friend had one of these all purpose blankets. When I saw hers, I had to know where she had gotten hers. Every time the family and I went on an outing, I always wished I had brought something to sit on and not just a traditional blanket, but something sturdier and waterproof. This is it!!!

I have to write, I was a...
Published on September 29, 2012 by Mama Poptart

1.0 out of 5 stars Strong Plastic Odor, Get Tuffo Blanket Instead
Published 20 months ago by Pachamama

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than sliced bread!, September 29, 2012
This review is from: JJ Cole Collections All-Purpose Blanket, Gray/Red (Baby Product)

I have to write, I was a little nervous after having read some of the reviews. I think that the J.J. Cole company really cares about their product and their consumers because all of the issues that had people had written about were none issues. This product did not smell like a petroleum product at all. I have one of the most sensitive noses around. I can't handle the smell of perfumes or non-natural based cleaning products. I'm telling you not a problem. I stuck my nose all over this product! Lol. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but I couldn't smell anything. I also have a seven month old baby, so I was concerned about him crawling on something that could be toxic. Again, non-issue. Didn't have to wash it or air it out.

The strap. Sewn on well. Hasn't broken yet. We shall see how that pans out. Also, there is an outer pocket. Would be nice if it had a flap on it to keep things from, potentially, falling out. This hasn't happened to me, but I could see if you were swinging it around where small things could fall out. It is a rather deep pocket that would fit several diapers and a small travel case of wipes without a problem. Of course, once you got to where you were going you would need to take items out to flatten the blanket out anyway. The pocket is strictly to hold a few things until you get where you are going.

Velcro closure, yes, stuff could get stuck in it if you weren't careful about unfolding. There is a way that the Velcro folds up against the material so that debris, leaves, etc., doesn't get all stuck. Also, do be careful, if you are wearing something delicate like silk, the Velcro could stick and snag delicate clothing. I had on a casual silk sweater and when I was trying to fold it up, I had to be very careful not to snag it, but it could snag up a swimsuit when trying to fold it up. This DID NOT occur when I was sitting on it, as the Velcro is underneath the mat.

Color of mat, mine was called grey and red. This is referring to the color of the trim and the exterior material, not the interior pattern. So, if you order gray/green, it means the exterior is gray and the trim is green. I was a bit surprised that other reviewers hadn't figured that out.

Size is roomy. Five foot by five foot. Perfect to sit on or eat a picnic on. Yes, if you are trying to seat a small village you will need two or more. I actually have a small village, myself, hubby, and four kids, and we were fine. I kept reading how people think it's too small, not to be rude, but I think they might just have more girth than others. It's plenty roomy for trimmer people. I wasn't sure how else to word that in a politically correct fashion. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Overall, love my product!!! Was exactly what I had been looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome blanket for parks, beach or cement., April 17, 2008
Christina Walton (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This padded blanket is thick enough to pad whatever you are sitting on, plus heavy enough not to blow in the wind or get wadded up under wiggly people. Just shake the sand off, or wipe off any spills. (The only thing that stained it was red clay from a lake.) It's perfect for the little babies at the park or beach, but it's also great for adults and big kids. The only draw back is that it isn't light to carry, but it folds neatly and easily and comes with a great strap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strong Plastic Odor, Get Tuffo Blanket Instead, June 30, 2013
Like other reviewers have said (and I should have listened), this blanket has a very heavy plastic odor. I should have known, since it is entirely made from 100% plastic, (fabric and waterproof backing), including the polyester and PUR foam padding inside. Wow. I aired it our for 2 weeks and nothing changed, and I have washed it 3 times and it has barely made a difference. I can't even give it away. Even my normally smell-oblivious hubby, even the dogs, won't sit on it. A disappointing purchase, as it is well-designed and folds up nicely. I wish JJ Cole would consider using healthier materials for families and babies, as this is for whom it is intended and will be used by, this is who will be lying on it and breathing in that funky off-gassing. Got the Tuffo outdoor water-resistant blanket at the same time--much bigger (fits the whole family), feel good about putting baby on it, and after one wash smells like nothing. As a blanket should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Picnic Blanket, March 30, 2012
Sarah Marie (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
My family gets lots of use from this blanket. We often visit the local arboretum with its beautiful, lush grass ~ from lots of watering. So the grass is always wet! We picnic and stay dry ~ just perfect. It also does not shift when my toddler walks on it, so she's not had a slipping problem like other blankets we have used.

We usually picnic with other moms and kids. Four fit comfortably for a picnic. We don't nap on it, maybe 2 adults would fit for that purpose max. So if you are looking for a bigger blanket to sleep the afternoon away, this isn't it! But it's perfect for our picnic needs.

The fabric is a good heavy weight and is durable. Easy to wipe clean. Very nice design, visually appealing. So convenient that it folds back into it's own bag, love that feature!

UPDATE 4/19/2013:
I'm back for a 2nd blanket for a neighbor who just had a baby. Our own blue orbit blanket is still getting a lot of use and still looks great since it wipes clean so easily. We just clean ours with baby wipes, but I'm sure any cleaning wipes would do. The fabric is very durable and looks great a year later!

If this was only a tag bigger with a little more padding, I'd love it even more. But it's the best of all the outdoor blankets we've bought, and the only one that my toddler hasn't slipped on and fallen. And when it's wet out, it keeps our clothes dry :)

This go around I bought the red/gray. For some reason, the blue orbit is now up to $35. The red/gray was available for the same $29 that the blue orbit cost one year ago. Not sure why the price difference...they are just different prints, but the same blanket.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential for new parents, April 20, 2013
Lukester (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
Let's face it: kids are dirty. And kids outdoor are even dirtier. This blanket provides the needed protection from the ground and is super easy to clean.

The surface of the blanket is a nylon-like material, but soft. It's not a cozy, snuggle up blanket, but a durable, waterproof mat to sit on. With actual cloth blankets, any dampness from the ground quickly soaks through and any crumbs or food end up smashed into the fabric. This blanket, however, avoids both of these problems. Spilled food can be easily wiped up or swept up. The waterproof, thick, cover prevents any moisture from wicking through.

Maybe the best feature, however, is the ease in folding it up. One section has a sturdy card built into it to assist in folding it up to the proper size. Simply fold the blanket lengthwise into quarters (which are stitched into the blanket to help you get the right size) and then roll it up using the built in "card" to get the size right. Then a velco flap folds over to hold it all together and you're ready to hit the road, carrying it by the included shoulder strap. One person can fold this blanket up neatly in a matter of seconds. It's a lifesaver when the kids are ready to go!

We take this with us everywhere. Like the name implies, it is an essential for any parent, or really any person, that spends time outside. It has stood up to a lot of abuse over the last several months and is still going strong!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not completely waterproof, October 29, 2010
I love the ease of folding this all-purpose blanket and its bright colors. However I have felt some dampness seep through when I have used it on wet grass. I thought it was supposed to be waterproof?

1.0 out of 5 stars Stinky chemicals!, April 25, 2012
Not sure why this has gotten so many positive reviews. I can't imagine anyone would miss the horrible smell coming off this product. I have been trying to air mine out for a few weeks now and it still fills our entire spare room with a kerosene smell, this is after leaving it outside for a few days. I'm afraid to put my baby on it. After all, her nose will be only a few inches above the gasses that are coming out of this thing. Very cheaply made, and another reviewer said it's not even water proof. Don't buy the hype- looks good in the pics but not in real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 years of using it and still love it, June 23, 2012
I bought this blanket when my first baby was born - 4 years ago. I used it for my baby's tummy time, took it to the beach numerous times, then I used to protect my bed from my daughters night time accident. Now I have my second baby, it is again used as a play time mat-tummy time mat. I guess I am supposed to wipe clean, but every time it needs to be cleaned, I just throw it in the washer and hang dry. I washed it countless times and it still looks good. Color has not faded, no ripping, it might have lost a little bit of shape, but it looks like I can use this for couple more years. I love this blanket. I would highly recommend it and I would buy it again when I need a replacement.

****update November 2014*****
Ok, now it's been over six years. This product is still very much loved by my family. When we go to a park or an event, we take this blanket. I still throw this in a washer after I use it (never hand washed or wipe cleaned. - I know I am lazy). Still looks fine and I like its easy to fold!

1.0 out of 5 stars Made out of Polyurethane-Buyer Beware, August 30, 2012
I was seriously considering purchasing this blanket. but after reading the reviews about the chemical smell I called JJ Cole, the number listed on their website and asked about the smell. I was told that the smell is from the polyurethane, the chemical used to make the blanket water resistant and fir proof. I have read many articles suggesting the link between polyurethane and cancer. Babies and small children are especially prone to absorb this chemical amongst others due to their weaker immune systems and skin to body ratio. If you are concerned in the slightest to the research that is current on this chemical, don't buy this blanket or any other water resistant or water proof blanket. Your are taking a risk. I would rather look for a wool, cotton blanket that might not be waterproof than to get this or any other that has polyurethane in it. It is a total bummer, but I think it is better for to error on the side of safety and forget about blankets like this one. Just one well informed parent of two wanting to share some information with you all:).

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Disappointed with this Blanket!, February 15, 2011
Hunter (California) - See all my reviews
I had very high hopes for this blanket, despite the negative reviews about the awful toxic odor, because there were still so many other positive reviews here on Amazon and on other merchants' sites, and I also really like the other JJ Cole Collections products. I thought perhaps I would have better luck, or that the odor would not be as bad as some of the reviewers made it out to be. But it was WORSE! After opening the package, I immediately smelled the horrible toxic-plastic smell. It was completely overwhelming to the point that after I put the blanket back in its packaging and shipment box to return it, I still had the smell in my nose and throat! Terrible! I wish there were a way to give it just a half of a star for this so you could see that it's been reviewed, but it does not even rate a full star. 0.5/5 = 10% = very low F.

JJ Cole Collections All-Purpose Blanket, Gray/Red