5.0 out of 5 stars Stats book incredibly helpful!
Published on September 29, 2008 by B. Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Great objective - mediocre execution
Published on December 28, 2011 by RW

5.0 out of 5 stars Stats book incredibly helpful!, September 29, 2008
This review is from: JMP Start Statistics: A Guide to Statistics and Data Analysis Using JMP, 4th Edition (Paperback)
This text was recommended as a supplement to the required text for a statistics class in which we are using the JMP Statistical Analysis software package. After spending 4 weeks in class lost, I spent an afternoon with JMP Start Statistics and brought myself up to speed. It includes practice exercises with data already installed with the software. It is easy to read and easy to understand. I would highly recommend it if you are new to the JMP Software Package.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great objective - mediocre execution, December 28, 2011
I think the authors have a laudable objective of presenting statistical analysis from a practical and intuitive standpoint. For this, and the examples in this book, I give them 2 stars. Do they meet their objective? I didn't think so. The general statements that they use are nebulous at best and confusing at worst. I give them no credit for execution - more so because two of the authors are PhD statisticians (Creighton and Lehman) involved with documentation.

Here is an example (pg 277): "You can think of negative logarithm of p as the number of binary questions you need to ask to determine which of 1/p equally likely outcomes happens. The negative logarithm converts units of probability into units of information. You can think of the negative loglikelihood as the surprise value of the data because surprise is a good word for unlikeliness."

The book is filled with intuitive statements such as these that I found useful (because it is not easily found in other books) - but a few more sentences would make this much clearer. There are other examples also that I thought were unprecisely written and not supported by background material.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version = FAIL, November 19, 2009
Scott Miles (Georgetown, TX) - See all my reviews
I was really excited when I saw that this book was available for Kindle. So excited in fact, that I "JMP'd" right in and ordered the book without previewing first.

Had I previewed, I would have seen that there is no indexed table of contents in the Kindle version. That's right, hundreds of pages of technical issues and no ToC to help you navigate. That's inexcuable in my mind on a $40+ book.

Used & New from: $4.50