"…full of practical examples, illustrations and references…" (E-STREAMS, May 2005)
"This book contains a wealth of information about the JPEG2000 standard…" (Computing Reviews.com, March 2, 2005)
From the Back Cover
With excellent image quality at low bit rate, progressive transmission, scalability, region-of-interest coding, random access, error resilience, and many other salient features, the JPEG2000 standard for scalable image compression is rapidly becoming the cornerstone of todays innovative multimedia industry.
Providing comprehensive and accessible coverage of the new JPEG2000 standard, this timely and authoritative text provides a clear overview of both the theory and principles behind the algorithms, and a solid foundation of multimedia compression techniques. Written by one of JPEG2000s key developers, this crucial reference features:
- Introduction of the compression principles for different multimedia data-types
- A review of the current JPEG standard, its advantages and disadvantages
- Principles of Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT) and its efficient implementation
- VLSI architectures for Discrete Wavelet Transform and case studies
- Details of the underlying core algorithms, code-stream organization, and formation of the compressed file for the JPEG2000 standard
- The VLSI implementation of JPEG2000 for hardware such as digital cameras, color faxes, printers, scanners, etc.
- A discussion of open issues not clearly defined by the standard
Numerous practical examples, illustrations, and related references, plus a discussion of open issues makes this text a must-have for electrical engineering and computer science students and practitioners alike.