4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all for the price
I spent quite a bit of time reviewing everything said about jointers and planers on this site and others. The things I noticed that were key to jointers were table length and flatness. Delta had many bad reviews, even with their most expensive machines, where people had warped or twisted tables and fences.
I have a few things to say: This is a pretty good sized...
Published on November 29, 2002 by T Payne

3.0 out of 5 stars Knife changing issues
First, and perhaps foremost, I'm something of a "Delta Afficionado." My shop is most decidedly "Delta Blue," and that is largely because their tools always deliver.

Well... *almost* always.

Published on June 20, 2005 by Rob Marciello

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all for the price, November 29, 2002
T Payne "t_payne" (Fremont, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DELTA JT360 Shopmaster 6-Inch 3/4-Horsepower Open Stand Jointer, 115/230-Volt 1 Phase (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have a few things to say: This is a pretty good sized machine and I have no idea how it differs from their recently discontinued model. What I can tell you is that for the money, you couldn't ask for too much more. I found the table to be *almost* perfectly flat - I say "almost" because there were a few spots across the table that dipped almost immeasurably. The fence was bowed horizontally (but not vertically) in the middle by about 0.25mm. All this is perfectly acceptable by my amateur/hobbiest standard. I can't really see how it would affect the flattness of my edges anyway...
I'm just not willing to pay >$1,000 for a professional grade jointer. This thing does everything you need it to do with very high accuracy. It beats a non-stationary model for sure.
It was relatively straight forward to assemble and even came with the tools to do it! You need two people for assembly. Total assembly time with two people was about 1.5 hours.
The knives were *WAY* off. Setting them to just the right height can be a bit tricky and takes some practice. Once you get them right, you'll see beautifully flat and precise joints that even your wife will be impressed by. Just make sure not to set the knives too high like I did, or you'll get snipe all over the place. The dust chute is worthless and clogs easily unless you connect it to, at least, a 1hp single-stage vacuum. Delta makes a good one for about $150. Using this, everything stays very clean and dust-free.
All adjustments are easy to make and reproducible.
Instructions were surprisingly clear and simple to understand. All parts were there - nothing missing.
I really need a jointer for furniture-making and home-projects. I could not find a single review of any jointer less than $1,000 that had a table/fence that was perfectly flat and acceptable to everyone....so just go for it. If this is your price range then this is the best you'll do.

3.0 out of 5 stars Knife changing issues, June 20, 2005
Rob Marciello (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews

Well... *almost* always.

I've run thousands of feet of cherry, oak, maple, etc. through my JT360 jointer. The results have always been satisfactory, and the 46" bed has been a real blessing. Overall, this jointer has been great. Easy to adjust, stable, and very true.

But no matter how carefully I've made sure to move the fence to keep knife-wear even, after seven years it was time to change the knives. And that's where my troubles began.

Each knife is held in the cutter head by pressure. The knife is clamped in place by the pressure ultimately exerted by four small hex-bolts. Knife removal is accomplished by loosening these. Unfortunately, the bolt-heads are arranged such that only an open-end wrench can access them, from the side, for about a quarter-turn. There is no way to get a box-wrench or any other type of "six-sided" wrench on them. No, all you get is access from the side... not the best engineering.

Open end wrenches tend to round-over bolts. After running for a few years, my bolts had stiffened a bit and - of course - all the wrench did was turn the bolt-heads with that sickening "give" that anyone who has ever turned a bolt-head knows all too well. Since you only have access to 1/4 turn, it's not as if you can get a "better bite" somewhere else on the bolt.

A box wrench would have had them off in a jiffy. Better yet, a different design that used allen wrenches, or even Torx, would have been fine.

I ended up grinding down a small Vice-Grip until it was narrow enough to fit in the clearance given. Once I got a grip on the bolt, it turned easily. Objectively, I don't think I ended up exerting more than 10 foot-pounds (if that), but the bolts are small and that was too much for the open end wrench to exert without turning the heads.

Our story ends with my knives changed, the jointer running great, and me with the skinniest Vice-Grips you've ever seen, hanging from my peg board.

The JT360 is a great tool, and almost certainly the best router for the money, but I really hate how that cutterhead was designed vis'a'vis changing the knives.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good choice for small shops., October 8, 2004
I have owned a similar model for years now and I have been very pleased with its performance. I tried this model at a friends and found it to be basically the same as mine, thus this review.

I am thrilled to report that this tool is in no way flimsy or cheap. The cast iron is significant and I would give the fit and finish a grade of B+. The infeed/outfeed beds and the fence are very flat and hold their settings well. Though the open stand is not as sturdy as a closed stand would be, if you snug all of the bolts tight and then install this machine on a mobile stand, you won't have any trouble. In my experience, this tool has VERY little vibration, and it is EXTREMELY quiet. I would guess the low vibration is due to the weight - this thing is heavy. Although I would have preferred hand wheels for both infeed and outfeed bed height adjustment, I have not had a bit of trouble using the lever on the infeed table.

As for performance, I have edge/face jointed red and white oak, pine, poplar, walnut, and hard maple with no problems. The motor is more than adequate for all of my jointing needs as I always take a light cut. As for the knives, by varying the fence setting for narrow boards to insure even wear of the blades, I have only had to change my blades once. Though this was a terribly frustrating ordeal, that is common of all jointers so it is not really a valid criticism of this tool.

Overall, I am well pleased with this tool and don't expect that I will ever have need to replace it. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars good all around jointer, May 18, 2005
I began my search for a jointer at home depot, and after they made me angry i decided to go back to buying my tools here. At first i was weary about ordering machinery off the internet, but the experience was actually pretty pleasant. i went with 3 to 5 day shipping after hearing horror stories from people not getting thier stuff on time. my package arrived on time i was able to track it every step of the way and the best part was i didn't have to make a claim on the package.

As for the jointer itself it's good enough for me and will probably last me a long time. It's heavy and is by no means cheaply made. It's acurate to within 1/32" and thats good enough for me. i set a good square on the fence and table and at the most i could probly only fit a sheet of paper under a couple areas. If this is good enough for me a carpenter apprentice and a rookie wood worker so it should suit all you homeowner/hobby enthusiasts out there. This unit though is certainly no homeowners special.

Setup took about three hours and a couple of tools(wrench set and a good shop ruler). Everything lined up close enough and i only had to rig a few things (very minor). The directions aren't great, but i managed and any semi-intelligent person could do the same. You are gonna need a buddy though, first to help get it off the truck and then to set a few things up. The jointers packaged weight is 250 pounds so make your own decision on how much help you need.

In the end though here is why i went with the delta. Final price after shipping was $334 with the free $25 discount. Home depots' Ridgid was $400 with tax and i would rather have a brand name that's been around a while. As for Jets' similar jointer it just looks cheap. I hope this helps some of you and if you buy it like me you probably won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for the price, March 16, 2005
Sharon (Eureka, mo United States) - See all my reviews
This is the third jointer I have owned. The first a small cheapie bench top model that worked ok just didn't have enough bed length. The second was a Shopsmith 4" that worked just fine.

But mounting it to the Shopsmith got old quick. Also the bed length came into play again for any boards over 2 feet or so.

This jointer is great for the price. Does everything I hoped it would. The fence and tables were dead-on right out of the box. Knife settings were also right on. All I really had to do was assemble it and square the fence. I have used it quite a bit in the last few weeks. It has performed flawlessly! Sure it is not as pretty as many others out there what with the open stand and all, but that doesn't mean this is jointer isn't a great value, it surly is that. Fit and finish were great. Not as much grease to clean as some of my other Delta tools and assembly was simple. Don't be afraid to save a few bucks and get this guy! You won't be sorry.

The shipping was through ABF freight systems. I was able to track it throughout the shipping process and got a call to arrange delivery. The driver backed down my long driveway, and unloaded the heavy package into my garage. I didn't have to do a thing other than signing for it. There were a few holes punched in the box and I was concerned about damage. After opening the box I was pleasantly surprised to find how well this jointer was packaged. No damage at all! I took all the parts down to my basement shop and assembled it to the point of mounting the jointer to the stand. I got some help carrying the jointer downstairs and sitting it on the stand. After finishing the mounting and squaring it up I put it to use. I was going to buy the Delta wheeled base but after assembly it was pretty easy to drag into place. I saved the $50 for the portable base as I only need to move it on rare occasions and that is easily accomplished just by dragging it into place. The dust chute works well for me. I din't hook up to a dust collector or even a shop vac. Instead I put a cardboard box on the floor and 90% of the chips fall in. So I empty the box twice a week into the garbage pail. No hassel and so simple.

I am very satisfied with this jointer and the shipping/delivery used. I would not hesitate to do it again if needed.

For ratings I give it an

A for quality

A for fit and finish

B for assembly (some bolts are hard to get at)

A for shipping

A for quietness

A+ for value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, May 11, 2004
By A Customer
I took this machine home, had it set up in an hour or two and was on my way (TAKE YOUR TIME). I decided to really put it
to the test by face jointing two 5' lengths of 6" wide jatoba (brazilian cherry... One of the hardest woods in the
world). This machine was able to smoothly take 1/8 inch from the jatoba with one pass for a perfect joint. Also,
out of the box this jointer was perfectly configured. Fence was right on, infeed and outfeeds were perfect as
well as absolutely flat. Since this test, I've used the jointer extensively and am still using the factory blade edges.
Another "should-mention" is the fact that there is absolutely no vibration at all, and this is with the standard poly v-belt.
I just can't say anything negative about this jointer. One of my most confident and satisfied purchases yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, even if money isn't the issue., April 8, 2006
M. Fell (Lafayette, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I read reviews on several different brands of jointers for about a week looked at them at a few stores and decided that this was the one that I wanted. For the price, you will not find a better jointer, maybe not even at $200 more. Delta makes real good tools in all price ranges, (besides Norm uses one) so when I found this one on Amazon for the lowest price around and FREE shipping, all the others became second choice. Amazon delivered within 7 days of placing my order FOR FREE! (I can't emphasize that enough). EXCELLENT!

I got the jointer out of the box and went to town assembling it with the help of my son and had it together in about 2 hours (An air rachet will speed up the process alot). I checked the tables for defects like cracks, chipped surfaces, flatness and checked the cutters to make sure that they were flat with the tables and started running wood over it. Sweeeeet! No the tables are not PERFECTLY flat, but are within about .003-.005" over the length of each one. I've read reviews on more expensive and larger machines and hear the same gripes, c'mon people, were working with wood for crying out loud. (I used to remanufacture engines and the tolerances weren't much tighter) The belt that came with it was coiled and kinked and will need to stretch out straight, but in general doesn't seem to vibrate much at all. As a matter of fact I didn't notice much vibration what so ever, which is amazing, considering it is on a metal frame base that is bolted together. And the thing is QUIET, not near the noise level that I expected. It produces nice flat cuts that you couldn't see daylight through between the boards that I just laid together. It didn't take that long to clean the tables, fence and cutter head of all the grease that was applied for storage and shipping. One quick note, remember the cutters are SHARP! I had to remind my son of that, and then preceeded to cut my own finger, I guess to prove my point....

This is a serious piece of equipment, but it is NOT a professional production machine. But for the person that enjoys building cabinets and other furniture in his own shop it is near perfect.

I didn't know how I would like the lever adjustment on the infeed table, but after using it a while, I like it. It's quick and not difficult to get accurate adjustments with, besides, how often do you really adjust the either table, I usually want to take about 1/32 of an inch at a time as a general rule.

In case anyone else out there is curious, the fence is cast iron, I wasn't sure, some of the cheaper and more expensive are aluminum.

The only ding I would give this jointer is that the upper bolts on the motor are a bit difficult to get to, especially the one towards the front. But then again, how often are you going to change the belt or even adjust it?

This thing delivers, it does what they say it does.

I compared this jointer to the Jet and Grizzly 6in jointers.

Hope this helps anyone that is considering one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as advertised, March 20, 2005
I am pleased with this new addition to my shop. The assembly instructions were easy to follow but you definitely need to wear disposable rubber gloves to protect yourself from the oily parts. All were rust free however. A socket set speeds final tightening. I had none of the problems noted in other reviews and I could not find this item at a lower price anywhere. Operation is quiet with little vibration. Perhaps a really serious woodworker can justify spending more but I think that I got just what I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product for the money, January 1, 2003
Victor I Zarich (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Purchased jointer last week and assembled yesterday. Found product packaged very well and constructed well. Found that assembly took me about an hour and a half working by myself. The instructions state that two people are needed for assembly; I did not find this to be the case. I found the table and cutter assembly heavy but I was able to manage it myself. The rest is easy to handle alone. I was concerned about all the jointer adjustments after reading other reviews and checked the machine out very thoroughly. I checked the infeed and outfeed table adjustments as well as the angles on the fence and found everything to be perfectly flat and fence angles to be correct. I checked cutterhead function by running through some rough fir and oak stock and found that the jointer trued them up perfectly and took out all bow. Please note that the cutter table is packed with anti-rust preservative. I found that I needed several rags wet with paint thinner to get it off. I am very happy with this product and feel the quality sufficient to last the average hobbyist a lifetime with proper care. I rate this product very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable for the market segment and the price, April 17, 2006
I bought this jointer for my shop a few weeks ago from Amazon. The price was excellent and, with the free shipping and [...] offered at the time the net cost to me was about [...] No way to beat this machine at that price.

The box arrived about 10 days later somewhat battered. I opened it over the weekend and all the parts were there and in good condition. It too me about 2 hours to assemble (I did it alone - the jointer itself allegedly weighs about 180 pounds but I was easily able to lift it onto the stand myself). The table was easy to clean, but I used quite a few paper towels and a few terry shop towels between scrubbing it clean and waxing it (using Johnson's wax). About 2 hours after opening the box I ran my first cuts. The table still needs to be fine-tuned (the machine has quite a few adjustments on it) but the cuts were smooth. I agree with several other reviewers - this machine is quieter than I expected and does not vibrate at all. I was easily able to run a 7' test board as my first cut (ambitious and stupid, but what can you do).

I am very happy and excited about the machine. It may not be a professional quality jointer (a friend of mine has a 12" jointer built in the 1930's that weighs something like 800 pounds, and that is a much more production type machine) but you cannot beat this machine for the home woodworking hobbyist. A few notes: 1) The machine IS manufactured in China, if that matters to you. 2) My table has some light cosmetic scratching on it. You can't even feel them with your finger but they are visible. I suspect I'll scratch it worse myself over time, but there you go. 3) Based on another review I expected the thing to arrive on a pallet. It did not. The box was probably about 6' high, and 30"x24" in section (it's not right here so these are guesses). A single person can easily move the machine in the box with a dolly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›