5.0 out of 5 stars not just for men

Published on May 14, 2012 by J. Hernandez

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Six Of One, A Half Dozen Of Another, May 14, 2012
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
This is premixed hair color thickened and squeezed from a tube onto a small applicator comb. You stroke the comb through your hair hitting only the sections you want to color. It's especially good at the hairline. It's easy and simple to use, but will still take a time or two before you perfect it as you want it. I suggest taking your time first use. It won't be perfect.

This is not mess free stuff. Gloves are still required, as is protection for any clothing worn and counter tops and sinks. I really don't understand the problem with mixing dye in a bottle and applying it with the fingers. I never made a mess? Oh well....

The problem I have with this product is the same I have with all hair color products. And that is I have tough grey and it usually takes two applications to achieve full coverage. I followed directions for this product to a tee. I was happy with the execution of the product overall. The applicator worked ok, and it seemed I was getting a real good coloring only where I wanted it, and not where I didn't. I have a lot of grey, though. So at least half my head was saturated with dark brown hair dye. I waited ten or twelve minutes, rinsed throughout, checked the mirror, and saw grey. Same as always.

So I took the tube and squeezed more hair color onto the gloves and proceeded to color my hair the old fashioned way. With my fingers and a pair of cheap plastic gloves, full coverage. Ten minutes later I had perfectly dyed hair, all grey covered.

To its credit I have dark brown hair and the premixed dye matches it better then any other hair color I have used. It looks acceptably natural imo, and gives a good coloring job. If sold simply as premixed hair color in a tube I would buy it for that reason alone. But this "AutoStop" thing is just sort of a gimmick. It works fine, but if it doesn't cover grey the first time around, what is the use? It's tedious to have to "combed it in" again if it didn't provide complete cover the first time.

I like this as regular hair dye and that's how I will buy it. I like the coloring itself and the thickened, premixed tube dye. When using again however, the first thing I won't do is apply as directed.

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for men, February 28, 2013
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
I'm a woman, have a little gray mostly at roots and around face. I use this once a month just on gray areas, like a root touch-up. It works very nicely but only lasts about 4 shampoos. That is fine with me, as I only wash my hair about every 5 days, and I don't want anything permanent or even semi-permanent with peroxide. The ease of application can't be beat. Apply, wait 10 minutes (or more) and shampoo. I use my own plastic brush applicator instead of the one provided, and also just smear it around with my fingers wherever I want a touch of color. The darker formulas seem to cover gray better. When I want a nice color all over, I'll use a darker color on gray, and then a lighter color smeared on the rest of my hair. Many compliments received. Hair feels very healthy afterwards. Clairol used to make a temporary haircolor (Loving Care) that was discontinued awhile ago, and I'm happy to have found something that compares favorably, even though it might not have been intended for me. Product directions state only meant for one-time use, but I find that tube can be used a few times. I only take out from tube the amount I need and put cap on immediately to avoid oxidation, and I put in refrigerator.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works! I like the shampoo product better, but this works!!, September 20, 2013
SundeyPSU "SundeyPSU" (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
This product has really made me feel better about my appearance. That sounds like low self esteem to some, but I am 43 and have WAY too much gray for someone my age. I am single, so it really does not help to look like a grandfather. This product really brings my hair back to the color I had 10yrs ago and younger. When I am in my 50s or 60s and SHOULD be gray, fine. Not now though. It really does look natural. I have also tried the shampoo in product, and both work equally as well. I like the shampoo in product better, just because you only have to wait 5 minutes.

CON : I have seen some reviews of the Just for Men products that they do not color short hair well and leaves the gray hair more of a copper color. It doesn't quite look right on short hair, like if you keep the sides of your hair trimmed low as I do. I totally agree. I keep my hair on the sides clipped low, probably a 1/4 inch or less guard on the clippers. The side of my head is the most gray. After an application the rest of my head of hair was normal looking, but the sides looked much lighter brown and had a weird tint.

HOWEVER, I solved the issue!! I decided to try Just for Men Beard and Mustache. Of course, Just for Men says not to use this "specially formulated" product on your regular hair. Perhaps not, if it is long hair that the color easily takes to, sure. However, the hair on the side of my head is closer in length to someone's average beard and does not hold the color like the longer hair on my head. So, what the heck. I tried it on the sides and it works like a charm. The beard and mustache product is designed to color the smaller more hard to color hair, and that is exactly what the short clipper cut hair on the side of my head is. It really works, seriously. PLUS, it is a multi-use product. The beard and mustache product comes with two tubes, mixing tray, and brush that are meant to be used multiple times. So when the rest of my head of hair needs a treatment, I use the regular shampoo coloring on my entire head. Then I used the beard and mustache product on the sides to complete the coloring for that shorter hair. That hair tends to lose the coloring much faster than the rest. SO, rather than waste a complete shampoo treatment on my entire head just to color the short hair on the side, which it does not do well anyway, I simply use the beard and mustache product on the sides in between regular applications. It seriously solved the issue for me, and I don't have to worry about keeping my hair short on the sides or being forced to let it grow in just to get it to hold the color. Just a tip that really works, if anyone else has the same problem. The same would work for sure if you prefer the comb-in coloring over the shampoo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just for Men - Autostop - This is a good buy!, June 14, 2012
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
Just for Men - Autostop - Dark brown. I tried this out and it works just as advertised. The color starts wearing after about 2 weeks of daily shampooing so you will need to reapply at that point. It's a messy process. The comb for the applicator could have been a bit better, but overall it gets the job done. I still haven't figured out what is "autostop" about it. You put the goo in your hair and it turns it dark in 10 minutes. When it starts wearing out, your hair starts going from brown to a weird kind of blondish brown and that's when you know it's time to put some more up there! :) Will I keep buying? Of course! The product works as advertised and Amazon sells it for a nice price.

4.0 out of 5 stars much better, April 28, 2012
Martin Luther "ML" (Winnemucca, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
Worked great for me. It is much less of a mess and the color seemed almost exactly the same as the older product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, December 20, 2012
R. Berry (Arlington Heights, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
Easy to use and very happy with the results. Will definitely subscribe to the monthly purchase program. I work in an office environment and get my hair cut once a month and use this right after and either it looks so natural that no one notices or the hair cut throws them off but it turns out great each time.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does a pretty good job for the price, June 23, 2012
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
My husband bought this on a free trial rebate so we got it for free. He likes it alot and it does help with his gray hair. It's less messy than the other brand so we will definitely stick with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, no mess, and looks natural, May 1, 2012
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
The product does exactly what it says it does.
Took 10 minutes. no mess, no gloves, no stain on the skin.
Attached the comb applicator onto the tube, combed it in, 10 minutes later, I jumped into the shower.
I was really impressed with how it blended well with my natural color.
My friends and colleagues were impressed with how great it looked and were asking me if I had got my hair professionally done.
I highly recommend this product

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the old, April 18, 2012
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
I purchased one to see how it was and it did not take to the sides at all. Purchased another one just to see if it was washed out to quick but same results. I thought I wrongly purchased a touch of gray the way it leaves the gray in. I will stick with the older just for men even though it makes a mess it does the job right. Wish I could get my money back.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible formulation! Going back to the 2 bottle configuration, June 24, 2014
R. Smith (Crown Point, IN) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: JUST FOR MEN Autostop Hair Color, Dark Brown (Misc.)
This stuff is awful compared to the 2 bottle mix. First, it comes out of the tube with the consistency of toothpaste. Have you ever tried to work toothpaste throughout your entire scalp/hair? It won't work. Second, as soon as the air hits it, it turns dark brown, and while you are trying to work it in it makes a complete mess on your skin around your hair line. Third, the brush is worthless because it would take me 10 minutes just to use it to work it through my hair, so I basically squeeze the entire tube out onto my gloved hands and try to work it in everywhere into my dry hair. Good luck getting this this pasty glue through your entire hair.
Please, please do not get rid of the original formulation with two bottles. It is soooo much better! I am going back to it.
This stuff is so bad for me that I am going to throw it out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›