5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints - works like a charm!
Published on September 23, 2009 by Honest Reviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design
Published on June 29, 2009 by W. Schultz

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints - works like a charm!, September 23, 2009
This review is from: JVC DRMV150B DVD Video Recorder & VHS Hi-Fi Stereo Video Recorder (Electronics)
I can't help but think some of the reviews are very biased...perhaps based on operator error more than anything. Although its possible to get a bad unit. I almost didn't make this purchase based on the reviews. But after some thought and the fact that I've owned a JVC t.v. for the past 11 years, I decided to give this unit a try. Thus far, I have no complaints. Set up was pretty simple. I have been able to play both DVDs and VHS tapes without problems. The picture quality could be better but its good enough. I had no problem setting up for recording. The one touch recording option was also pretty simple. I like the fact that you can record with both the DVD and VCR and the timer setup allows you to choose between the 2. So if you are away for the week and need more recording time than what is allowed via your DVD, you can also record the remaining shows you want to record on VHS tape. This is a very nice feature. If I run into problems with the unit (which I hope I don't) I will definitely write another review in all fairness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky But Works, June 20, 2009
The bottom line with this machine is that it works. We've been able to record OTA and cable broadcasts, in standard definition and HD, to DVD-R and DVD+RW discs and we copied a VHS tape to DVD-R. All have worked well.

The ATSC (digital) tuner works great, but the NTSC (analog) tuner seems a little poor. We only get basic cable, so we expected to use the NTSC tuner and had tested the ATSC tuner for OTA signals for a few days. The NTSC output seems a little fuzzy, though that might be due to its A/D and D/A conversion, since we're using the digital output to our receiver and then component video into our standard definition TV. (The ATSC tuner output was observed through this same connection as well as via HDMI to a 22" LCD TV.) It turns out that we have digital channels, often two, corresponding to each analog channel in our cable lineup, so we're using those channels instead.

One of the first things you notice about this machine is that access to the Setup menu is awkward. You press the Home button on the remote and the Setup menu is selected, but not opened. You must press the center (OK) button to open the setup menu. If you want one of the other menus, you merely press the left or right cursor button and the menu is selected and opened at once. Why wouldn't the setup menu be visible immediately!

Another awkward thing about the Setup menu is that it contains normal use and setup controls. One normally relegates rarely used functions to a setup menu because they are set-and-forget options, right? Sadly, in this machine, you must navigate past such options to use common functions such as for finalizing or labeling a disc.

Another frustration about the design of the user interface is that common operations for a DVD recorder like finalizing are not the first that appear when you invoke the menus with the Home button and are not accessible from the remote any other way. The principle operations of a device like this should be close at hand and those used less frequently should be accessible, but require extra steps to reach.

My final complaint about this machine is that it will begin recording a timer program whether the machine is on or off and, if on, seemingly regardless of what you may be doing with it at the time. No VCR would start recording when the machine is on. It will complain when it is time to record, but will wait for you to turn it off before recording. A DVD recorder should be no different and this was just stupid on JVC's part.

An interesting behavior of this machine, which is unlike any DVD player I've ever owned, is that it will automatically load and begin playing an inserted DVD, just as a VCR would start playing a prerecorded tape when inserted. That's a nice touch.

The channel editing feature is very nice, too. When editing which channels the machine should recognize or ignore, it uses a picture-in-picture style arrangement to show the channel in the upper left corner so that you can navigate from one channel to the next while deleting or enabling them. Our LCD TV, by contrast, pretty much requires selecting a channel, navigating the menus to the channel editor, and then adding or deleting that channel, for each channel you want to change. A button on the remote to access the add/delete functionality is probably the simplest approach with analog TV, but that is harder to use with digital signals because of the fractional channel numbers.

This machine has a good ATSC tuner, records as expected, and so deserves four stars for function. If JVC were to upgrade the firmware with a smart, frequency of use based menu layout, it would deserve five stars.

(By the way, we've had no problems with the machine freezing up on us. If yours does, exchange it.)

________________________________
Update 11 December 2010

The DVD spindle drive motor has all but seized. That means it struggles to spin the discs, so it cannot play, much less record, DVDs now. Until this happened, the machine has continued to work exactly as from the start. I'm looking to see what else is available now, but will probably just buy another of these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, July 11, 2009
I purchased this two weeks ago.

It took a short while to figure out how to operate the recorder.

Customer support was superb and helped me immensely.

Be sure to purchase the correct DVD blanks. They are listed in the manual, which is a page I kept overlooking.

I miss the old dvd/vcr recorders that don't require the HMDI. It was so nice to click on/off vcr. With this and other new ones, one must go to the menu for the t.v. and the recorder to switch things around. The t.v. is really a form of computer instead of the off and on switch.

Progress is hard for me to adjust.

However, I can now record off the t.v. to either vhs or dvd blanks. I can dub the vhs tapes to dvd blanks. All pretty easy with practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recorder!, November 18, 2009
Darryl Hirschler (Kennesaw, GA United States) - See all my reviews
picture
The tuner is excellent! This recorder outperformed my standalone QAM tuner (which only pulled in about 25% of the available channels). It might even be better than my Sharp TV's QAM tuner. I don't think it missed a single channel. Futhermore, it automatically skipped any encrypted channels, saving me the trouble of manually deleting a ton of empty channels.

I connected the recorder using HDMI cables. The picture quality is very sharp and very clear. HD channels are downsampled to 720x480, even when just viewing them (ie not recording). They still look great, but they are not HD. It would have been nice if the HD channels were not downsampled when connected via HDMI, but it's understandable. The analog channels of course do not look as good as the digital channels, but they look as clear as they ever have. It's just that the digital channels look that much better!

recording
I have so far only tested HQ mode, and the record quality was exceptional. I recorded an episode of "House" from FOX (HD 16x9 720p). I was pleased to discover the unit records widescreen material anamorphic instead of letterboxed. In HQ, the audio was ac3 256kbps 2-channel. I believe the audio was downmixed to 2-channel (from 5.1), but it sounded great nonetheless.

I had my TV aspect set as "16x9 wide" in the recorder's settings. I noticed that if I set it as "4x3 pan and scan" it crops the left and right edges of widescreen channels. If I set it as "4x3 letterbox" it letterboxes the widescreen channels. I would assume that any recordings would be the same, but I have not tested that.

I recorded onto Maxell DVD-RW discs. I was very happy to see that RW discs work just fine. After finalizing the disc, it played well in any other player in the house, including the PS3. An un-finalized disc only plays in the recorder.

interface
The menu takes a little getting used to, but it's actually quite well designed. I only have a few complaints. I'd prefer "Timer record" to be at the top, or even accessible via a single button on the remote (perhaps it is. I haven't read the manual yet). And I'd like quicker access to finalizing a disc. But overall, it's well done.

The remote is fairly well layed out. It is way better than the remotes that came with the Philips recorders and players. And the "eye" sees the remote from anywhere in the room. There are still some buttons I don't know what they do, but again, I haven't read the manual yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dubbing, February 2, 2010
I had long wanted to copy my old home movies from VHS to DVD, but the combo units were too expensive. The JVC DR-MV150B is very reasonably priced.
I have used it to copy hundreds of hours of precious home video from VHS tape to DVD, some over 20 years old. The quality of the copy is as good as the tape it came from.
And of course the picture quality on new DVDs is excellent.
My only complaint is that the users' manual is a bit difficult to follow in places, but after a brief period of trial-and-error, I found it really easy to use.
I'm very happy with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tuner - really QAM - unlike others, March 2, 2010
This unit has a great digital tuner that can receive all my unencrypted digital basic cable (now that they have converted) like TNT and USA. This was bought to replace a Toshiba dvr660 since they do not have a good tuner. This is exactly what I needed because it also functions as my digital converter / cable box for an older TV. I disagree with "Quirky But Works" review as I prefer a unit that will record while on as I could be watching a show and I will want it to switch channels and record for me in the event I forget to power it down (because I fell asleep while watching). Unlike other units you don't need to set it on standby for recording to work (much like the historical approach since VCRs were invented). In addition, I kind of like the new way of accessing functions - I give them extra points for taking their own route and ideas instead of copying everyone else. Bravo JVC, you have a new fan. Would definitely recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design, June 29, 2009
This machine could be an interesting case study in how to get a bad result from a combination of individually good pieces. As you might expect from JVC, the picture quality is good on both the VCR and DVD players. The digital tuner is also quite good, actually superb might be a better characterization. Evidently, however, no one at JVC thought through what it would be like for customers to actually use this product. There are two serious issues.

First, the HDMI resolution has to be set from a button on the from panel, and does not stay set when the unit is turned off. Therefore, you have to set up the HDMI interface via the front panel button every time that you want to view something. Not a nice thing to do to a customer, especially if this unit is underneath the TV in an entertainment center.

Second, when you are watching a movie and hit the off button it does not shut of cleanly. For a brief period of time the TV tuner comes on while this machine is shutting down. Since over the air TV is broadcast at way way higher volumes than a typical DVD produces, it blasts your eardrums during shutdown. Again, not a nice thing to do to a customer.

It is kind of a shame really, because neither of these problems is difficult to fix from a design point of view. Nor, I suspect, would having it hold its HDMI setting and shutdown quietly affect the cost. JVC just didn't think through what it would be like to be a customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh! Don't waste your money!, May 18, 2010
Not having cable, I needed something that could capture the new digital TV signals, since old VCRs won't work with over the air broadcasts. (Thanks alot for that, Congress!)I thought this was my dream product. It worked GREAT the first 6 months, then it started turning itself off right after I turned it on. After a great deal of grief (and much $) I sent it back to JVC for repair. They have a JVC dealer in town, but claimed local dealer was UNABLE to fix these new products. I received it back in 5 days, and it worked another, ummmmm, 10 days, and then it was back to its old tricks of turning off again. Wish I'd bought an extended warranty. JVC, as noted by others, had absolutely no interest in helping anyone but their in-house repair crew. Save your money--I wish I had!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality machine!, November 17, 2010
This is the 3rd unit I have purchased. I bought my first unit about 7 months ago. My second about 6 months ago. And just purchased my 3rd unit recently. It seems that most of the TV shows that my wife and I like are all on at the same time. It seems that prime time is now 10 PM. What's up with that. Thus the need for multiple machines. These units have been used just about every night since we have gotten them, work great, no issues. We have cable but don't like the restrictions of their boxes. We like to watch different shows other than those we're recording. These units have dual tuners, analog and digital. This gives us many options for recording. My wife still prefers to use VCR tapes, while I like the clarity of DVDs. If using DVDs I recommend DVD-Rs as they are the most versatile. You can use many different formatted DVDs however. I like being able to record and erase over and over, and unlike tapes their is no wear to the discs as nothing touches the surface except the laser light. Each disc should last a real long time and not wear out like tapes do. I hope to change my wife over to DVDs eventually, but just ordered a bunch of VHS tapes while they're still available.
I have recorded many movies off of TV,(Ex. TCM), that I add to my permanent movie library. The only draw back is that the recorder will not record any copyrighted material. By law, no machine can. So you cannot transfer purchased movies, etc. to disc. I highly recommend this machine. I would give it 10 stars if that was possible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completly failed after one day, December 22, 2009
hotairguy (Colorado, CO) - See all my reviews
Installed the unit, performed all the set up steps. Scheduled to record several shows the next day. In the evening, went back to watch the recorded shows. When I turned the unit on, it would display "hello" on the LCD for about 30-40 seconds, then turn itself off. I called JVC and there was nothing they could do, broken inside. Now I will have to ship it back to the seller I bought it from at my expense to get a new unit. I will lose the money I saved by buying on-line and will have to wait for weeks. I will never buy another JVC product again and will most likely not buy on-line again as returns as so difficult. The money I saved was not worth the pain when the products are such low quality. This was a "new" unit as well.

Rate and Discover Movies