5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING MACHINE!
After 6 months of research, I finally went the the JVC-HM150. In the end, the reason was a no brainer. I am a wedding and event videographer. My clients expect me to deliver a great video
Published on February 20, 2012 by Ted

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for audio... otherwise OK
To qualify my experience: I've worked with four of these cameras as my primary professional studio rig for about 3 years. I've shot multiple documentaries with it, and hundreds of in-studio training sessions for higher ed and the corporate market.

Published 10 months ago by Ty

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING MACHINE!, February 20, 2012
This review is from: JVC GY-HM150U Compact Handheld Pro-HD Camcorder (Electronics)
for which they a paying top dollar for. Imagine telling the bride you lost the footage of the most happiest day in her life because of SD card failure. This would truly give you a bad reputation. The fear of loosing footage is now over. The JVC-HM150 has dual card slots, where you can record on to two cards at once. If one card should ever fail, the second card will keep right on rolling
with no loss of footage. This was a big factor for me. Another big selling point was this camcorder is final cut pro friendly. While every other videographer are scratching their heads and
loosing sleep because they can't figure out how to import their AVCHD files into their computer...Here I am with 3 hours of footage that will take only 30 minutes to capture to final cut pro. "WHAT A BLESSING THIS IS"...The JVC-HM150 records to .mov format which makes capturing as easy as pressing a button. I also don't know what all the fuss is these days about 1/4 size sensors. This camcorder has three 1/4 size ccd chips and works great in low light. Sure, you might have to tweak it just a bit in low light but at 15 db of gain, the image is still fairly crisp.
You should always use an on board light anyways...no matter what size chip cam you are shooting with. Oh, and I forgot to mention, NO jello or rolling shutter effect, thanks to the ccd chips.
The JVC-HM150 is compact but yet very solid and well built. It looks very professional, just slap on a head set and most people will think your from the local news. And if you don't want to stand out in public, the handle and shot gun mic is removable allowing for low profile shooting. The shotgun mic that comes with the unit works very well. I love having the lens cap
built into the lens hood, that way, you will never loose it. It also has full manual iris, focus, zoom, white balance, gain and shutter control. I am amazed at how this camera shoots in
automatic mode. The iris wheel might seem a little small and sensitive, but like anything else, once you get use to it, it's really not a big deal. The LCD is very sharp and clear and easy to see
when filming out doors. The view finder could be better, at times seems blurry even when properly adjusted. The zoom rocker works very well and comes with 3 levels of adjustments.
There are six user buttons where you can custom set all the settings of your desire. There is also gamma and color control along with all the shooting modes from, 1920/1080 60i 50p 24p to 720 or 1440 and more. The picture quality is stunning. It leaves bigger and more expensive cameras in the dust. Don't let the size fool you, this is a beast when it comes to filming any event. Yes, there is no perfect camcorder, so it seems, but for the money, I think this one comes close. The pros out weigh the cons on this machine. If you are an event videographer this
camcorder will full-fill your needs and if you work with final cut pro you will be more than happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberating..., March 18, 2012
I was skeptical about the robustness of recording to these tiny flash cards. To be honest, so far, I'm amazed. After shooting for years on bigger cameras utilizing mini-DV tape, I rise up and rejoice... "I'm liberated!"

I love almost everything about this camera, starting with its size. Very compact which allows for maintaining an effective under-the-radar presence. Look like a tourist, while gathering superb professional footage. Also impressive is the very full and rich audio quality achieved by the internal stereo microphone. But, for me, what elevates this camera from LIKE to LOVE is how beautifully it works with Final Cut Pro. It was built with FCP in mind, and it shows. No more tedious real-time capturing. No more tape errors.

I absolutely LOVE the ability to write simultaneously to two individual cards. An automatic backup for super critical shoots. I tend to be paranoid and this really sets my mind at ease.

The storage capacity of these cards is incredible. Your battery will run out long before space to record does. I'm getting two hours on a 32GB card shooting in 720p. Tip: Stick with SanDisk Extreme memory cards.

Lastly, and most importantly, the image quality is over-the-top. Expect to be blown away. I've had great luck with JVC over the years, and this gem of a camera is one of their finest achievements. I'm getting ready to order a second one now - for an incredibly powerful matched set.

UPDATE: Got my second camera and am disappointed to see it has a hot pixel right out of the box. Also wanting to follow up after having had a chance to really use these cameras. Generally, I love them... but indoor lighting can do a number on you if you're not prepared. With adequate natural light these cameras are world class... anything less than that and you might have problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one!, March 16, 2012
This camera is able to record in Quicktime. And it the only Video Camera listed for sale on the Apple website. I use Final Cut Pro X. This thing is perfect when it comes to work flow. Shoot your scene edit you clips (NO RENDERING)! Wow this is the way it should be. This is a point and shoot/ get it right the first time camera. I was so impressed with the speed and smoothness things focus in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than what I thought, May 10, 2012
When I look at this camcorder at first, I was a little bit skeptical. It is a little bit bigger than an advance consumer camcorder. After reading the manual and getting used to all the manuals, I can honestly say that this is a very good camcorder for its size. It has all the manuals controls you need for shooting a pro video. Also, it's possible to tweak the setting to obtain a very good picture quality even in low light situations.

I uploaded a video to you YouTube that was shot with it. I can't past the link here, but you can go on and type Lady Ealge's Basketball Camps Joye Lee McNelis and it will pop out.

I shot this as my first video. I didn't use any professional lightening nor did I use the supplied external mic. The sound you hear was captured with the build-in mic, so I think it's quite good. Basically, I would recommend this camcorder as long as you commit yourself to learning the manual setting. It is not a point-and-shot camcorder. If you haven any questions or concerns just reply to this post and I will do my best to answer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for audio... otherwise OK, January 29, 2014

This camera's audio mixer is really handy. I think those are available on a lot of cameras in this range, but anyway, it's nice.

Everything else about the camera is just sufficient. My Panasonic HC-X900m ($700 camera) delivers clearly superior image quality. The thing that drives me crazy about this camera (on four different individual units I've worked with) is how the green sensor doesn't align quite right with the red/blue sensors. If you zoom in digitally on sharp lines in any image it produces, you'll notice that the left sides of objects has a purplish tint, and the right sides have a greenish tint. It makes keying very difficult when the talent is wearing e.g. a black jacket on white shirt.

tl;dr. Camera is meh. Has some superior and some inferior characteristics to decent handheld consumer camcorders in the $700 range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camcorder, June 2, 2014
I am new to a camcorder with all these features, but once you figure out how everything works, it shoots great video! auto mode is very good, but tweaking in manual mode is very beneficial especially in low light. I use it to make videos for youtube and it is very easy to do. Just shoot, remove the sd card, copy the video to your desktop and drag to youtubes upload page. The only fallback because it is HD when shooting inside you need a lot of artificial light to get a good picture even with the gain control. But is still a very good camcorder, with awesome audio!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great versatility!!!, March 30, 2014
John P Reisman (Big Beaar Lake, CA United States) - See all my reviews
From it's small profile to it's jam packed technology, this camera delivers well in many situations. I'm giving it a 5 star simply because it provides excellent versatility and performance for the price/package combination.

Pros: Compact size and weight is a plus as I have hiked this camera up the Swiss Alps and even up beach and mountain cliffs. The technology packed into the camera gives the cameraman excellent control. I was a bit skeptical when I first bought it, but after digging through the manual and figuring out all the setups I can do in camera I realized it was truly a powerful package.

Cons: This is a small sensor camera. It needs quite a bit of gain boost in low light situations. Works great for ENG outdoor and incident daylight and though grainy gives you the ability to shoot in low light as well. I noticed that shooting in studio I had to dump a lot of light on the talent to get the camera up to a higher gain setting for a cleaner shot. CFL's can work, but LED light panels like Laforet's Visual Buddha would be recommended if it's in your budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars great camera, February 25, 2014
I bought it to save time in editing, going straight to FCPX is a great plus and the camera is awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Camcorder that speeds up the work-flow., December 9, 2013
Stephen Rustad (Cotati, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Great little camcorder. Good resolution, light weight and reasonably easy to figure out. More of a consumer that a "pro" camera, but it produces a fine image. The key for me was that it saves files to 32GB SD cards in MPEG4 or MOV formats that can be instantly ready by Premiere Pro (the editing software I use) or FinalCutPro, this saves substantial time that used to be taken up by transcoding. The documentation it comes with is very basic and I've not been able to find any "how-to" books, which I found very helpful with my previous cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 17, 2014
This item met every expectation that I has for the production of our youth program.

JVC GY-HM150U Compact Handheld Pro-HD Camcorder