Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on April 2, 2014
First off, I love it. Sure you can pay way more money and get something that is bigger, has more buttons, and is more complicated, but this little camcorder is wonderful. i bought it as a refurbished unit on another web site. I got the package and noticed a battery that is so small an light that I wondered if a battery was even in it. It is a battery, and it gives about 40 to 50 minutes of recording time. if you play around with the display and playback, don't expect to get more time, the time is really 40 to 50 minutes of use, doing anything, as long as it is on.
One reviewer was totally wrong in his review. This is about the software to edit, view, burn blue Ray, or DVD, upload to YouTube, or Facebook, and many other things, is installed in the firmware of the camera. You install it from there, and then go to the update link in it to get the newest version. It comes up in a nice calendar fashion, with the video, or pictures you shot on the days that you shot them. Everything is done from this software, including uploading to web sites, and burning Blue Ray, or DVD.
You may also use Windows 7 Live Movie Maker, which works pretty well on its own. You have many choices when it comes to editing the files created by the camcorder. The only thing that would let that other guy say any different is if he either did not have the camera, or did not read the book.

The pictures and video taken with the camera are HD, I can't tell you what level of HD, but I zoomed all the way down the block from a dirty window and could easily tell who I was looking at, and read license plates on cars. The video was very sharp, and I showed it to others who agreed it was great video quality.

Not only can you shoot video, and take snap shots, you can also take a snap shot while the video is shooting. It grabs a frame and produces a jpg image in another folder on the cameras SD card. No the camera I bought did not come wit ha na SD flash ram card, but they are cheap, and easy to get. Plus, the camera works with up to 128 GB high density SD Flash ram.
The model I bought says it is a 60x Dynamic Zoom, Ok, so I am not sure where the optical zoom stops, and digital zoom takes over. Why would I care? I care because the digital zoom is where the picture begins to lose pixels, and degrade. After testing the camera al I can say is WOW!, the zoom i did to over a block away was every bit as sharp as I could hope. If the digital zoom kicked in, I could not tell from the video I shot, and neither could anyone else. Yes, I am very well versed in Digital Photography, and have been for a long time.

The touch screen works very well, and it relies on your fingers have a certain amount of moisture, or something, so if your fingers are very dry, and like card board, don't expect any touch screen to be friendly to you. After all, it is technology, not magic.

there is an HDMI port for an HDMI cable out to your TV, but you have to supply that cable yourself. I bought mine on Ebay, same with a bigger battery, and external charger. It does come with regular RCA type cable for stereo and composite video out to a TV, or VCR for play back, or recording respectively.

The display is 3", and very nice. It can flip in any direction, so one wonderful thing about this is that you can flip it down and hold the camera way over your head and shoot great video at a concert or other event.
It can also be flipped 180 and closed with the display outward, but JVC warns that the camera could over heat in some situations, and overheating will shut it down as to not damage anything.

The audio that was recorded with the built-in microphone was decent, and the audio from the built-in speaker for replays was also decent.

The battery that is included, will run out when you have the camera connected to your PC. This is because the camera needs to be on while it is connected. You most certainly will want a bigger battery, and external charger. This would be the case for most any camcorder, so it is not unique in that regard.

The bottom has a standard threaded 1/4 tripod mount, and the right side has a nice adjustable, and padded strap the help you grip the camera securely while shooting video.

The camera says it has Dolby Digital stereo Creator. (Look that up in Google)

The lens is F2.9 116 with 40x Optical zoom, this is posted right on the lens, which is also labeled Konica Minolta HD lens They get another 20x of digital zoom, and as I said before, I could not tell the difference in quality while zooming all the way out.

The camera is very light , and will easily fit into a purse.

The camera comes in colors, and some colors are cheaper than others, maybe that is why I got this one so cheap , it is really nice (If you like it) Purple. It has a metal flake in it in sun light, and I like it. It's funny, if I paid $2000 for it, I would be angry that it was purple. I would expect black, or anodized black metal. Being as cheap as it is, in cost only, I am very happy with the purple.
The SD card goes in from the bottom, and has a door to cover it. You need at least class 4 memory, but most of what I have, and most of what I find is class 10, and I have 8Gb class-10 in it. That gives me 40 minutes at the best quality UXP. It also goes all the way up to 3.5 hours at EP, and 5 hours 40 minutes at SEW I watched a YouTube video of all the resolutions, and I can honestly say that close up, they all look pretty great, the real way to judge them is in zoom, and the further you zoom, and the further away the object is, the worse the video will be. This is true with any camera. For how cheap the memory is, you can afford to shoot in UXP mode and get fantastic video all the time. It has 6, yes SIX resolutions to choose from. UXP is 1080x1920, XP = 1080 x 1920, yes they are the same, and so is SP and EP, this is because the resolution does not take the hit on longer record times, the frame rate does. SSW and SEW are 480 x720, and the only thing that varies between them is frame rate.

I may add more to my review later, I hope you found this interesting, or helpful.
on August 26, 2013
I was around when home VHS recording was considered hi-tech. Obviously, things have changed quite a bit, including the way consumers look at video products. This camcorder is the child of that evolution.

On one hand, it's what old VHS consumers dreamed of- light weight, portable, great video for your home viewing experience, affordable, auto-everything. You can even edit your footage on the camera. The problem is those features are available through other devices that offer more functionality (e.g. iPad w/ Retina) and even more compactness (i.e. GoPro cams), and most people who edit video would never do so on a 3" LCD and chintzy software.

There are other buyers, though. A handful of people try to make serious video on the cheap. Their needs include more manual controls and more options for accessories. They're not going to settle with the sound this offers(would prefer some kind of audio in) and thus have to either settle with bad sound or using another device/method entirely.

They would like to add lenses and filters, but JVC and other camcorder makers doing have started leaving off the lens threads, so nothing can be screwed on. My old JVC could be fitted with a Depth of Field adapter that approximated 35mm film, this can't.

The image sensor is small compared with prosumer models, so it's not like this offers anything substantial in comparison to other camcorders. The manufacturer gives no info on ISO, it won't do 24 fps, it doesn't have a remote or any other feature useful to pro-recording on the cheap so why buy it? Moreover, who would buy it rather than a snazzy DSLR or pocket sized recorder like the GoPro?

I guess if it's sitting in the store, you've got a few bucks to blow and you just don't know the difference, or you grew up on VHS and think these kinds of camera's are still relevant, then go for it. Otherwise, look around.

Oh yeah, aside from the lack of lens threads I REALLY hate how hard it is to press 'record' or pretty much anything on the LCD screen. Seriously, I feel like I have to nearly break off the screen to select anything.
on May 14, 2013
People, this is a great camcorder. I have never used one, i used it for my first time last night not knowing anything about it, shooting a boxing match, zooming in and out, figuring it out as i shot. The picture/clip/movie was fantastic. Very easy to use, i am thrilled i bought this one. Highly recommend it!
AMENDED report ***** I hate to say it but I made a big mistake buying this camcorder. The one thing and really for me the ONLY thing is uploading stuff on websites. You CAN NOT load any videos on the web taken by this camcorder, It's format is MTS, which nothing out there supports. I have downloaded 8 converters and some from C-net with no success.They all ended up horrible. The once in a life time video I took of a amateur boxing workout with a MMA fighter is no more, the converters tools took care of that.Look into web friendly camcorders if the web is important.
55 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2015
I purchased three of the JVC GZ E300, one for my wife and two more for friends and relatives. JVC is wrong about not being able to make a DVD or Bluray when shooting in the best mode which is the only way to go, why settle for less., you just need the proper program to transfer the video. I use Pinnacle Studio HD14 and can create videos in many formats and I would guess there are many other programs that can also do it. Also remember your computer and program decides the quality of the out put. The Camcorder is not to blame if you don't process it's quality properly. The quality you see on the camcorder playback is what you can get if processed right.
on July 6, 2014
I LOVE THIS VIDEO CAMERA! I use it for railroad videography and it provides clear, sharp videos of fast moving trains and while it is no DSLR, the still images from it a sharp and clear and give even the best DSLR's a run for the money.
on June 25, 2014
When you read about this full 1080p camera with 40x zoom with no picture quality loss, super lo-lux, 3" touch screen, video effects, it comes in an array of colors, so small you can put it in your pocket, and all of the amazing attributes this camera has it is almost to good to be true. Let me tell you believe it! It is perfect for any event or just having fun around the house. This camera came at a great price for this amazing quality. It came before estimated date of arrival,and this company has excellent customer service. You will always get quality and satisfaction.Thank you so much for offering this product at an amazing price.
Sincerely, Jana
on May 7, 2014
I like the image of this camcorder. Has a good quality when seen on a tv. For me is the most important...Other aspects, the software is not included on the package.
on September 20, 2014
Disappointed with the battery life (only 30 minutes) so I had to buy a larger battery.
on July 1, 2013
love this Camcord!!
light, durable, takes awsome videos...
I used this for my daughters graduation and it did an amazing job!!!