4.0 out of 5 stars easy to use and understand.....
Published on March 2, 2010 by Todd Begin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a "new and improved" version of the MS120
I've just received my JVC MS110. I was looking at the MS120 about 6 weeks ago, but saw this newer version was coming out, so I pre-ordered it for $229. At the time the MS120 was selling on Amazon for $209. Before I received the MS110 (but after it shipped) Amazon was selling the MS110 for $207, and the MS120 for $260!
I did some research on them before I bought, but...
Published on February 18, 2010 by C. Pedersen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to use and understand....., March 2, 2010
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
bought this camera for the "time lapse" option... wanted to get on-line but wanted it now/so I paid twenty two buck more plus tax at a best store. the camera performs wonderful! there are no "laser" buttons/everything works from the zoom and menu button-very easy to use and understand. the night capibilities are great. filmed my dog across the yard at 11:30pm with only the neighbors porch light on and no street lights. the video came out perfect! I was amazed!I have a 2 year old JVC w/30g memory..this gz-ms110 is 1/3 the size and weighs ounce's!the zoom is awesome. I was able to zoom the moon and see craters/but a tripod would have made a better video for steady-ness....I would have given this 5 stars/but the thing that stopped that was...due to it being so small/which I love/but due to the size and my large hands it is slightly difficult to press the record button when the camera is in my hand with the strap on my hand comfortably, the strap could be larger and perhaps this would make it more comfortable/but the price, the quality,the options,the zoom,the smallness,and the years of experiance jvc has, this is a great camera! I like it better than my new samsung smx-f40 I accendently bought and will now be a gift.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a "new and improved" version of the MS120, February 18, 2010
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
I did some research on them before I bought, but unfortunately missed the following differences:

1. The MS110 doesn't take still pictures.
2. It doesn't have the MS120's filter threads, needed to add a wide-angle lens.
3. Unlike the MS120, it doesn't close the lens protector when you close the LCD to shut off the camera. You have to locate and move a lever on the side. A small point, yes, but its seems like they had to go out the their way to remove this feature.

Pros
-It has a great 45x(or more)zoom lens.
-It comes with time-lapse recording and a motion detection-record feature.
-Low-light capability is good. Whatever you can see in dim light it can record.
-Using an SD card, it has a rapid start-up to catch those sudden photo opportunities.
-Lightweight at 7.6oz, including battery (weighed on my postal scale).

Cons
-The previously mentioned "missing" features.
-The slowest time lapse setting is still pretty fast, with each minute zipping by in 2 seconds.
-It is too small for its side-strap configuration. This makes it difficult to hold easily, my hand is in awkward positions and cramps-up trying to curve my fingers over the top.
-The video played back on my HDTV looked terrible. It looked better played back on a computer, using either the supplied software or Windows (Vista) Media Player. Still, using the "ultrafine" setting, the computer playback was not as good as watching old standard TV. More like watching a VHS tape, for those who remember VHS. Comparing the monitor image to the camera LCD, there was only slightly more detail noticable on my 20" screen than I could make out on the small LCD.
-Outdoors on a sunny day the LCD washes out, even with brightness set on max. You will still get a vague image to help you point your camera, but no real detail until you play it back.

The reason I gave it three stars is because it was relatively cheap and, as they say, you get what you pay for. I'm thinking I might trade this in for an HD model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Low lux is awesome, good zoom, easy start, October 12, 2010
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
What ever you can see (20/20 vision) in the dark is how the camera will see it. The zoom is about as much as anyone will need. This camera can zoom up close on objects that I can't even see. Anymore zoom and you may as well get a high powered telescope.

Pros:
Low lux
open the lcd screen and it's on
The LCD screen brightness adjusts automatically to the surrounding brightness. Gets brighter in the sun and darker in a dark room
good image stabilization
cool automatic record when it detects movement
cool time lapse feature. (Record anything and see it played back in 2 sec, 5 sec, 10sec, 30 sec, 1 mintue, 2 minutes)
Very easy to use menu options
Easy to download files to PC
a lot smaller than I thought it would be

Cons:
Does not take still photos (but you wouldn't use that feature on any camcorder, that's what cameras are for).
No manual lens cover
What you get with this package is a battery that only lasts 50 minutes. A new battery cost at least $40
no flash memory

Bottom Line:

This is a great camera. I would buy it again. Much much more pwerful than my old Sony handycam that needed tapes. Handycam sucks, as well as their stupid SD card requirements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camcorder for the price. Batteries harder to find, though., January 17, 2011
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
I bought this camera recently after seeing it on sale for $99 on Amazon. I am pleased that I got it. We were contemplating a Flip camera and the Kodak Zi8 for a while, but both of those cameras have reviews that say that low light situations don't make for great film. Since the primary reason we are buying this is to record the birth of our baby, and we plan to have the lights dimmed, it made sense for us to get a camera that could handle it. I tested it out in a couple of darker rooms and while the image quality did suffer some, it still looked pretty darn good. I don't have an HD TV so that wasn't something I was looking for, although you can use HD cards with this camera. I like having that option. The picture quality is really good in normal light situations. My husband and I were both pleasantly surprised by this, as we were also by the stabilization of the camera when we would hand it off to one another. The film wasn't jerky or nauseating. :)
I also like the size of this camera. It's not much bigger than the Flip and is only bigger than the Flip girth wise, as I believe it is about the same size length wise. The buttons are not the most intuitive, but the directions are easy enough to follow (you do have to actually READ them, though, which is something a lot of people may not want to do).
My only gripe about this camera is that I had a really hard time finding extra batteries in any store, and an impossible time finding a charger for those batteries in any store. I had to order the charger online. The batteries themselves (the only ones I could find) were the JVC brand. I couldn't locate any generic ones, so they cost a lot more. Since the battery life is only about 45 minutes, you'd likely want at least one extra battery and a charger (the camera does the charging of the battery normally, so if it's dead, you'd have to stop filming and charge it if you only had one battery and no outside charger source). I was able to get some batteries that were longer lasting, and I bought two so that I would always have at least one charged as a backup at any given time.
I'm sure we will be using this camera a lot soon with a new baby on the way. I will let you know if the low light birth filming disappoints in any way. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to film the birth without the bright lights on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camcorder, January 8, 2011
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
Bought this as a Christmas present for my wife but haven't let her use it yet. I'm having too much fun with it. Only had it a short time so I don't know very much about it, but it takes great video, well designed, great features including video stabilization, intuitive to use. Great image quality, nothing wrong with resolution. I don't know what other reviewers are objecting to unless they are playing back with a high resolution HDTV. I haven't tried that. I have one of the lower resolution HDTV (720p) and it looks great. For a camera at this price point, I think it is a great choice. I read reviews and looked into other camcorders. This has the best feature set for the price. Note that it has no still shot capability, but I agree with other reviewers that still shot is a little used feature and many low priced camcorders that do provide still shots produce poor quality images anyway. Use your digital camera for stills and this for video. Others also comment that it is small and with the strap, hard to hold. This is somewhat true. On the other hand, small is good and there are trade offs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, December 28, 2010
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
This camera is the BEST!!! Bought this for my 15 year old son to upgrade from the Flip. The ZOOM on the camera is 45 x and CRYSTAL clear!!!! He used for our Christmas movie on Christmas and the picture was in HD!!!! Also the playback sound on the camera is the best I have ever heard!!! The camera is Palm size , the LCD screen can flip around and lay flat for easy playback. Bought the Nero HD movie software to go ALONG with it and the 2 together are the best!!! Super high quality and super EASY!!!! Thumbs up as a mom and also from my son!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good for filming lectures in class, September 27, 2010
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
I needed a camcorder to tape a college lecture while I was not there, so I had to set the camera at the back of the room in order to capture the entire blackboard/overhead projector screen. After a week of use, I realize this camera isn't sufficient for this use.

Pros:
It has a great zoom, at the farthest zoom, it does a decent job of stabilization. Decent in low light situations, you can film in a dark room with only a flashlight BUT:

Cons:
The super low lux isn't enough to film what is on a blackboard in a medium sized classroom, when there is a medium amount of light and the overhead projector is on. The overhead projector screen is white to the camera with only a few details(contrast between bright screen and surrounding blackboar is too much for this camera). Also, without zooming in, it is hard to distinguish the works on the blackboard, it is Standard Definition after all. On the maximum setting, when you play it on your laptop, it is a grainy, and the resolution leaves you wanting more.

Conclusion: I decided to return this camera and spend about a hundred bucks more and buy the sanyo vpc-fh1a which is HD.

4.0 out of 5 stars JVC GZ-MS110B Great Bang for the Buck--SD, January 21, 2011
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
Bought it for the optical zoom. Nice lens. Lightweight. Good mic. When outdoors have your back to the sun for optimal performance. I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing little camera!, February 20, 2011
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
This is my first camcorder purchase. It is a great little camera. The reviews I read were very helpful. The zoom is fantastic, it is easy to use, and the audio is surprising. All for such a low price. Lots of fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars JVC Camcorder, February 19, 2011
This review is from: JVC GZ-MS110B Camcorder (Electronics)
Easy to use, easy to operate. It is very light weight. The quality of the videos is awesome. The magnification is amazing, however, at full magnification, if you lose sight of what you are recording, it is difficult to find again, unless you pan out again. Shakiness at higher magnification makes it difficult to take good videos. It is a chore trying to keep the camcorder steady at full magnification, and you end up with a very shaky video.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›