5.0 out of 5 stars JVC Marshmallow perfected

2.0 out of 5 stars Remote didn't work
Published on August 18, 2012 by Tahoedog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars JVC Marshmallow perfected, July 3, 2012
This review is from: JVC HAFR50S Marshmallow with Mic and Remote Headphones (Silver) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Ive Tried many headphones and being a perfectionist i usually dont mind paying extra for certain items. And ive gone through at least 7 different headphones (including the infamous Iphone & sony rubber headphones) and JVC is by far the best. The cushions on the headphones do not allow any outside music to be heard at all. In fact you could use the headphones, mute the music, & relax in pure silence if needed. In addition to this, the bass in the cushions is extreme on top of the bass coming from the music player.

The perfection: Finally after the original marshmallow headphone was created, they add the microphone to the headset, because of this your phone calls can be heard crisp & clear, no more "what! HUH! WHAT DID YOU SAY!". All in all these make the best headset for your cellphone on the go, at the gym, on the bus, or outside anywhere.

pros:
finally a microphone for phonecalls.
longer cord for people 6ft tall.
rubber cushions blank out all sounds.
JVC cushions vs sony's rubber cushions doesnt attract as much ear wax

Cons:
NADA

P.S. for those complaining about the music volume or unable to hear. Remember that you need to squeeze the cushions before you put them in your ear as they expand once placed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Headphones but NO Bass, August 2, 2011
MsQueen (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
Sound Quality

I just got my headphones and when I plugged them in and played music. I wasn't super pleased with the sound. There's almost no bass. However, I almost figured it'd be that way, but the treble is nice. I just wish the overall volume would at least be a bit higher since there's no bass. It sounds very open, almost too open. I like some depth to my music. But, it's crisp and clear.

Material/Comfort

The earphones are plastic and not rubber, which I'm happy about. The area where the cord and the jack meet looks secure. I mentally compare all earphones with Apple earphones, which in my opinion use the worst material ever that doesn't even last. I expect these to hold up for a while. The earpieces (marshmellows) are super comfortable. It's almost like you can't even feel them. And they don't fall out.

Remote/Mic

The mic is flawless. Crisp and clear. The remote works perfectly with my iPod Touch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Remote didn't work, August 18, 2012
The headphones sounded great and the Mic and volume control also worked well. The Mic worked so well that I was able to carry a full conversation on for over 20 miles while riding my bike and they heard me through the wind, traffic, etc.!! But the Rew/FF/skip option never worked. Amazon was great though and refunded them in full. I will try another pair and see if I do better because I liked the Mic and sound so well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, August 13, 2012
These headphones are great. They act like a hybrid between ear plugs and earbuds. I have always had a problem with ear buds as they wouldnt stay in and I had to increase the sound to get the most out of the earbuds only to take them off to have my ears ring from the loud volume I've been listening. But not with these puppies. Like I said they are part ear plugs, so squeeze them betwen your fingers and insert into your ear. The foam like cushion will fill in the spaces as to seal your inner ear from the outside world. Then turn on the music. First off you listen to whatever you are listening to at half volume. Second, you actually tune out all other noise. I took this on a plane the first day I got it and boy was I in for a pleasant surprise. I would even go as far as to say these sounded like a slightly underpreforming Bose headset, which I also have... The mic and volume controls are also great, I can even use them with gloves on. One draw back that I have noticed is the mic may not work as well as other headsets I owned.

TLDR; Great for isolating what you are listening from the outside world. Great price. High quality. Control unit is a solid addition. Mic is lagging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but some complaints, August 7, 2012
I have been using these earbuds for a while now. They offer excellent noise cancellation and the sound is decent (not great, but what do you expect from a pair of relatively cheap buds). Sometimes the sound can get a little tinny if the bud does not fit right in the ear, which brings me to my complaint about these earbuds: the marshmallows don't quite fit right for me. For my left ear, even the small size feels too big and doesn't go in easily; for my right ear, the larger marshmallow feels right but I can hear a hissing sound whenever wind blows. This aside, the remote's pause and volume buttons work well, and I haven't yet had a chance to test out the mike. So I'm giving it four stars because of the slightly uncomfortable fit in the earbuds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome bass, not tinny, June 17, 2012
manonthemoon (Kalamazoo, Mi. USA) - See all my reviews
The first pair I bought I thought were tinny with no mic. I bought 2nd pair with mic and remote for about 15 to. 20 bucks. I realized if I put the bigger headphones foam pieces and really wedge them my ear I got tons of bass. The mic works great with my iPhone 4gs and Siri. I tell between sets at the gym to play a certain artist then tell if text someone for me,etc

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but a little big for small ears, November 23, 2011
I have the hardest time finding in-ear headphones that fit because my ears are so small. I can get these to work, but I have to really squish the marshmallow buds to get them in. Luckily they stay put really well once they're in. The first time I used these I went for a 3 mile run and they were super comfortable the whole time. I even got a phone call and loved the quality of the mic. The remote controls are really easy and work very well. I would definitely recommend these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent-Cheap Earbugs, November 5, 2013
I use this exclusively with my iPhone (4 and then 5) 3-5 days a week for the last year. I have always found the iPhone/iPod earbuds to be very uncomfortable and don't stay in my ear. Even the newly redesigned style just don't feel good. Maybe my ears are weird.

Regardless, these are my favorite earbuds. I got them reasonably priced but I'm not sure they make this style new anymore. They fit nicely and comfortably and feel nice even after wearing for a few hours. Overall I don't like earbuds as much as headphones but often at work I only have one of the two buds actually in at once. When I do use both, they nicely muffle/block most of the sound around me.

The features of the microphone, stop/play, forward/reverse, and volume all function well. I sometimes will use these when talking on the phone. The microphone works clearly and well (at least from my wife and others that I have asked). I also like the ability to pause quickly or answer an incoming call with just hitting the control on the cord.

The length of the cord is sufficient for my needs. Not too short I can't put in my pocket and walk but not too long they don't drag around.
Only minor issue is with the interchangeable foam covers. I always keep the same ones on but they can occasionally slide off (even left in my ear once or twice). I understand they include 2 different sizes to fit more people but I'd prefer if they were the size I want :P (who wouldn't).

Overall, I've very happy with these earbuds and after using them for over a year I highly recommend them for people that want reasonably priced (when I purchased) and comfortable foam earbuds. I've yet to find something that has the quality of sound and comfort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for iphone not so much for android., September 27, 2013
It will work on both android and iphone but the volume up and down buttons wont work on two of my android phones. On my newer phone the pause button does appear to work, sound is good.

My only complaint for JVC headphones is they dont wrap around your neck or have a clip so they dangle and pull all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones I've ever owned, September 26, 2013
I've owned these headphones for well over a year now and they still work perfectly. In fact, I'm only on the Amazon site today because I wanted to buy an extra pair or two for when they eventually wear out. (I didn't want to wait until it was too late...but sadly, JVC doesn't make them anymore so they are hard to find!)

Anyway, I've owned other "gummy" headphones from JVC and they were great too...these are the upgraded model with the microphone/remote/volume control, which works flawlessly. If I'm listening to music or a podcast and someone calls, it's one quick push of a button and the call connects. I can hear them, they can hear me, and it's always better than having the phone up to my ear without headphones.

I honestly wish I could stockpile a ton of these so I never needed to buy another pair of headphones again. They're the best headphones I've ever owned!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›