4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy
Everything works as stated. I've been able to play my DVD+R,-R, VCD's, photo cd's. Able to record shows on the VCR while watching a movie on the DVD player. I've only had it for a week so far, so hopefully nothing goes wrong.

Negative

VCR is very loud when fastforwarding and rewinding.

Automatic time setting did not work, had to do it...
Published on August 18, 2004 by E. Baluca

3.0 out of 5 stars Good functioning space-saver
We wanted to reduce the number of components in our "rack" since we built a new AV room and wanted to hide everything as much as possible (as opposed to the college days when you wanted to cram as many components into your rack as possible!). Anyway, this unit is just a tad over $100 at retail shops, and performs well for its intended purpose.

We use the DvD...
Published on November 26, 2004 by B. Christensen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good functioning space-saver, November 26, 2004
This review is from: JVC HRXVC26U Progressive-Scan DVD/VCR Combo , Black (Electronics)

We use the DvD player for all our new stuff and Netflix arrivals, and then use the VCR to play all the kids' old VHS movies (which we have hundreds of!). The unit performs well and the manual is very thorough.

There are many features that you may never need, and have not found anything lacking for our needs. I have the unit hooked up to a Philips 60" rear projection TV and an Onkyo TX-SR701 receiver. I only have three complaints about this unit:

1) The VHS motor is very weak for rewinding tapes; if there is the slightest drag on the casette mechanism (either from age or poor construction) this unit simply won't rewind the tapes! Or, it will putter along so slowly that it is agonizing to watch. I plan on buying a separate tape rewinder in order to deal with this problem, which really should be unnecessary.

2) Noisy DVD operation. This is my first DVD player, so I'm not sure if this is a common issue or not, but when playing DVDs you must have the sound volume up pretty high in order to not hear the high-pitched whine of the DVD spinning in the background.

3) You must use two input channels on the TV or receiver with this unit if you want to use component video for the DVD player. The VHS player only outputs via S-Video or composite - no component video. I looked around and could not find any other combo VCR/DVD players that output VHS to component, so this is something I just decided to live with.

The setup can be a bit tricky, since you have to use cables for audio and video as if you were setting up two separate components. (Assuming you are interested in the high quality digital output of DVD), For the VCR portion, you will need a pair of RCA cables for the audio and an S-Video or composite cable for video. For the DVD player, you will need a "coaxial" cable for the digital sound output (just a fancy RCA cable) and then a component (or S-Video) cable for the video.

This also means that if you are going directly from this unit to your TV you will need two separate input channels to be able to use this unit effectively.

The TV tuner seems to work great, and the setup was a snap. Overall, the thing that knocked this from a four or five down to a three for me was the annoying inability to rewind VHS tapes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, August 18, 2004

Negative

VCR is very loud when fastforwarding and rewinding.

Automatic time setting did not work, had to do it manually. Not sure if the problem is with my cable provider or the unit itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Used, Robust DVD Playback, Great VHS playback, March 1, 2005
I was getting frustrated. I had bought three DVD players from major brand names. All of which would freeze up about an hour into a semi-dirty DVD. Well, with three kids in the house all under 7 years old, my DVD's do occassionally get a little dirty. But not scratched, not even that mucked up. I tried all things, dishwashing soap with warm water, "discwasher", etc. It helped a bit, but I thought I'd find a player that advertises that it can play less-than-perfect DVD's. I couldn't find any salesman who would vouch for one player over another in that aspect. Then my Sony VCR took a dump. I thought, "Here's an opportunity to save some space". So without a particular DVD player in mind, and needing a new VCR I went for a combo. I chose JVC because I had had their stuff before and it seemed tough. I needed tough. Plus I could always return it if it was that bad. To my surprise this JVC combo has been better than tough, it has been near perfect. Only once so far (two months) has the DVD playback stuttered and it recovered itself after a minute and kept playing. The VHS tape playback is best I've ever seen. It makes old tapes look noticably betterr. I don't how they do "progressive scan" for VHS but it works so well, I am buying another one to rip my tapes into my PC. It's inexpensive enough. I recommend this unit completely save for the remote, which is a bit ugly and causes my eyes to twitter in overstimulation looking for the one button I want.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Poorly designed product., December 31, 2004
Eric (Holland, MI) - See all my reviews
I thought this unit was going to be a good space saving replacement for my old vcr and non DVD-R/RW compatible DVD player, but I was wrong. All around this product is poorly designed, especially the remote control and user interface.

Although this unit boasts it is DVD-R/RW compatible, DVD-RW discs that work properly with almost every other player skip during high motion scenes and during scene changes. Since I bought this player to play back media recorded on my computer, this makes the player rather useless to me.

I didn't like the remote control layout at all. Since many buttons are shared between the vcr and dvd player, most have two labels on top of them which is confusing. When performing certain functions the buttons you need to press are located far apart from each other. Buttons with similar functions are not clustered together. The remote can supposedly operate a TV. The instructions make no mention what brands of TV the remote can operate or how to program it to operate them. This leads me to belive that the remote can only operate a JVC brand television.

This player has many annoying little quirks. Powering on the unit will first power up the VHS deck causing wear and tear on the components, and then the unit will automatically power up the DVD deck switch over and start playing the disc before it will let you switch back and use the VCR. Ideally the unit should remember what deck you used last and only power up that one instead of both.

For VCR timer recording, not only does the VCR deck have to be powered off, but the "timer mode" has to be engaged by pushing a button on the remote. There is no button on the front panel to engage "timer mode". Worse yet, if you lose your remote and timer mode is engaged, there is no way of turning the VCR back on again.

The front panel display is just a simple LED display. Virtually every other DVD player on the market has a dot matrix display. Instead of saying "No disc" it crudely says "No dc". The display is constantly on which is annoying if the unit is in a bedroom. For DVDs switching between displaying the elasped time and time remaining is a complex menu operation.

Although the tape counter can be reset, there is no function to automatically rewind the tape to the zero mark.

The open/close button has to be held for a long time before the disc tray opens. There is no button on the remote to open/close the tray.

This unit can play SuperVCD's, but forget about searching backwards through them. It will take you 30 seconds to go backwards 1 minute.

As another reviewer mentioned, the automatic clock set simply does not work, even though that feature works properly with other VCRs in the house. Setting the clock is frustrating since the arrow buttons don't behave as you might expect them to.

On the positive side, the video quality of the VHS deck was excellent. The VCR had the rare feature of selectable sharpness settings, and video stabilization. I liked the ability to do VHS index searches via the DVD chapter buttons. The unit can also automatically guess the amount of videotape left on a cassette. The ability to customize DVD/VCD picture brightness, contrast, sharpness, color,tint,gamma was a welcome addition that is noticably absent on my Sony DVD player.

Overall the media incompatibility, remote control, and user interface issues earn this player a solid thumbs down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only DVD VCR combo with dubbing feature, April 20, 2005
1. So far this is the only unit I found that allows you to copy a dvd to video tape. This feature will allow you to copy a DVD to a video tape.

All other that have this feature, are DVD recorders/VCR. Where you will have to spend another $200

2. Excelent Sound using 3D phonic feature.

3. Some one complained about channels not working. Manual explains it: you have to go and setup what input connection you are using. After that it was a snap.

Poblems:
1. No cable included to connect to TV or Amp
2. No instructions to use TV button on remote to use with other than JVC TV

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 UNITS SAME PROBLEM, September 7, 2004
The featurtes and picture quality are first rate, however both units I recieceved had the same anoying problem of freesing for 10-20 seconds at each scene change. I hear that there is a firmware fix but I do not choose to deal with this. This item should be recalled and no longer sold on the Amazon site.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware !, November 17, 2005
Tony Polito "TonyPolito" (Greenville, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I bought THREE of these things over the last two years ... at least two of them from Amazon. (The actual model number was different -- XVC20U in black -- but it's basically the same combo deck they've been selling for several years now. Now they've added progressive scan and DVD burner, other than that it looks like the exact same thing that I bought.)

They worked fine at first, but after a while, DVDs started freezing up on them. Oddly, I have absolutely NO trouble playing music CDs in the very same drives.

DVD freezing has happens on ALL THREE of them, but it is worse on the unit I have used most. It seems to do it less when the machine or the DVD has cooled down. It gets worse over time. Lens cleaning with a disc-brusher, lens cleaning via taking off the case for direct contact cleaning, and air-pressured dusting -- all do no good.

Anyway, thanks to JVC I have several hundred dollars worth of DVD players that don't play DVDs ... other reviews (under various model numbers) suggest there's not a chance JVC will make good on them.

I have had, in the past, good luck with JVC TVs and car stereo units, and I try to stay loyal to brands, suppliers and what not. But I seriously doubt I will be making any other JVC purchases due to these things. I suppose JVC doesn't place much value on their brand or image or they wouldn't have dumped this stuff into the marketplace.

It seems to be getting harder and harder to find companies that bother to make products that are actually worth what you pay for them. I suppose companies that rip-off customers and laugh their way to the bank must be part of the "new economy" I keep hearing about.

1.0 out of 5 stars it won't show closed captioned tapes, December 12, 2004
M. Steffen (Des Moines, IA USA) - See all my reviews
I used this as secondary unit for my bedroom. I'm disappointed that this unit won't show closed caption from recorded or store-bought VHS tapes. I tried to run the same tapes on my new primary Panasonic DVD recorder/VHS unit in my living room and it showed closed caption without any problems. Since it's too late for me to send it back, I will sell it or give it to Goodwill. Good thing this unit wasn't expensive, so I didn't lose much. I will buy another Panasonic (DVD reader/VHS combo) to replace the JVC unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS ADVERTISED!, November 12, 2004
This unit DOES NOT play VHS over the component video output as listed. I had to return mine. The correct JVC model if you are looking for this feature is HR-XVC37U.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yummy tapes, but hard to use., January 15, 2005
It ate two of our video tapes. It did a horrible job of autosetting the channels and the time (our old super-cheap VCR did fine on both.) And it was hard to use, requiring you to switch between vcr and dvd functions in odd ways (like, when there was a DVD in, I had trouble changing channels on the TV).

Rate and Discover Movies