Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on July 29, 2012
I bought this at a local retailer for about $25 over the Amazon price. Normally I'd fuss with shipping but I was there, killing time, the TV was there... Why not?

Let's face it: These days no one is drooling over 720p or a measly 32 inches. Even so for me this TV replaces an ancient 27 inch CRT I had which wasn't broken but I figured I wanted something a little bigger, more efficient, and HD capable in some capacity. The manual specifications list power consumption at about 52-53 watts which isn't bad. Not quite at LED backlit levels but at this price it's very respectable.

Unpacking and setup is very simple and JVC even includes a screw driver for attaching the stand. The front mounted speakers aren't anything special: They get the job done but that's about it. Fortunately the TV has audio out options if you want to pair it with bigger speakers. The input/output jacks are good for a relatively low cost unit: 2x HDMI, 1x VGA, a USB port, and a smattering of various other ports including a slough of composite ins/outs. If you're looking to use some crazy home theater Dolby 7.x+ setup then... Well then you're probably looking at multi-grand 50+ inch displays so you aren't even reading this review. The buttons on the unit are recessed onto the back end of the left side as is the USB port. They are easy enough to reach in general but you can't see them or the labels depending on how you have the unit setup so this could be a nice perk or a problem. Otherwise the remote gets the job done for everything else.

The image quality is good with no artifacts or ghosting during fast action. Overall brightness isn't bad but other manufacturers have better offerings in this department. Color reproduction seems good and blacks are deep and uniform. This TV also has an ambient light sensor that is used to adjust the back light brightness dynamically depending on the light in the room and the brightness of the image. It's a decent enough effect but there is a noticable half second latency when the TV adjusts the backlighting for a scene change or turning on a light in the room. Fortunately this function can be turned off easily if it bothers you.

Overall this is a solid set at a good price. Colors are good, contrast is good, and input options are outstanding for a lower end model.

Pros:
- Good price
- Easy setup, intuitive menu system
- Free screw driver in the box
- 2x HDMI, 1x VGA, composite, USB connector, lots of audio input/output options

Cons:
- Stand has a large footprint but is still somewhat flimsy feeling
- 720p might be a problem for some
- Brightness is a bit on the low end
- Adaptive backlight level feature has a lag time but it can be turned off completely if desired
- It makes local TV news anchors look like entirely new people and some may frighten you in HD vs. SD
44 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2012
I did a ton of research and wound up with this TV due to it's decent speaker wattage (10 watts per speaker, 20 total) so I wouldn't have to get a sound bar to hear it, and also because it got good reviews around the 'net. I bought it without seeing it demonstrated in a store. After having it for a few weeks, I'm very pleased with it. Good sound and good picture, after a bit of tinkering with settings. This set has no motion lag issues I've noticed on any films or sports I've viewed on it so far. High definition broadcasts and streaming video look vivid and detailed on this set, and it handles standard definition stations and sources very well. I've also used it as a computer monitor by hooking up to a laptop via HDMI, and not only does video look good, text is very sharp and readable.

Another plus for this JVC TV is that it has a QAM tuner (some brands do not, you have to check on their website specs to see whether or not they do). With the QAM tuner, I can get the local TV stations in high definition via cable TV without having to use a cable box. My cable company charges extra for high def. versions of the local stations; I'd have to rent a more expensive box from them and pay more money every month. This TV makes it possible to avoid paying that extra fee and yet still get those high def. stations in HDTV form. I also like that this TV has a wide 180 degree viewing angle. The picture is good even without sitting in a direct line with the front of the set.
on May 12, 2012
Bought last season's Samsung LED tv @ Costco. Got it home only to have issues setting it up.

Called Samsung only to be told "we don't do audio out on anything smaller than 40 inches".

Smug tone. Gooey condescension.

Needless to say I won't buy Samsung again.

Called Costco and got a lovely fellow named Johnny. He pointed me to this very beautiful set.

It is missing a few of the higher end features, but it does a terrific job with my pre-HDMI stereo, Wii connected via component cables, and the PS3 via HDMI. Even has a wider variety of video presets and a customizable one.

I don't miss the online information the Samsung had.

The audio only feature is a boon. I listen to music on my set each night and one simple button press and presto, a darkened screen.

The added surprise was the free Phillips head screwdriver included in the box. A nice touch.

It's $50 cheaper at Costco right now (May 2012).
on October 28, 2012
Bought with 180 degree wall mount for a home gym.

Does not support auto-switch to new source etc that more expensive TVs do. Sound is good but not great.

Still, fed from a Kindle Fire HD the picture looks great and this TV only draws 35->45 watts (Kill-a-watt verified). In the event of power outage this thing will run for hours off my UPS so it has dual purpose as a TV when the power goes out.
on December 10, 2012
I ordered this on Black Friday 2012. The price was $229 - shipped. However, Walmart had the same TV for $30 less. I contacted Amazon, and they credited me the difference that night.

I received the TV within 5 days. Setup was simple. As mentioned in other reviews, JVC includes a screwdriver to assemble the base to the TV. The buttons on the remote seem to be well laid out, although the cable remote is used.

I wasn't sure about the 720p resolution when I ordered it. I assumed there would be a big difference in picture quality between this and my 42" LG 1080p. I have to say, that I cannot tell much of a difference in picture quality between the two. The picture on the JVC is crisp and clear, with vivid color. Power consumption is quite low as well.

The wife is happy with it, and that is enough for me!
on November 30, 2012
It's so conveinent to carry my movies around on a USB flash drive, so I wanted a TV with USB support. On the JVC website, the fancy emblem for their "USB feature" clearly shows a camera (photo) headphones (music) and filmstrip (movies). It also came printed on the box. I was disappointed to find that it varies from model to model and this unit will only display pictures. It will not play avi, mpg, wmv files or mp3 files. However the picture is great, and the sound is best I've heard from a TV of this size, so I'll guess I'll be keeping it.
on October 12, 2012
The JVC 32" 720 p TV is a very good product, mounting the base stand was easy and they include a screwdriver. I also mounted one to a wall mount that I purchased and that was very easy as well. Both TV's have an excellent picture. Would recommend it.
on October 28, 2012
This TV is awesome! I am really happy with this purchase. The picture is crisp, it was a breeze to set up, and it works great for what we needed it for (playroom).
on January 14, 2013
I bought this TV as a gift for my husband. He wanted one to put outdoors when he was grilling so he wouldn't miss football games. This one is great for just that reason. We haven't used it much yet because our cable tv wasn't set up correctly but now that we have that corrected I expect to get a lot more of my meals grilled!
on December 10, 2012
I love the picture and the sound. My last tv was an old box set and the speakers rattled, etc... This flat screen tv is a very nice tv. I guess some people have to have 1080p but the 720p has been very nice to look at. I haven't adjusted any settings on it. The picture is perfect. The sound is perfect. The price is incredible considering the cost of a flat screen 2 years ago.