5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV at a Great Price!
I was looking for a decent sized TV for my studio apartment. I did a lot of research and had several candidates, but I decided to pull the trigger on this one due to the specs and the crazy low price that Amazon had on it at the time (mid $300's). I'm on a strict budget, so finding something at a great price was the biggest selling point.

I haven't looked at...
Published on December 3, 2012 by Steveo

1.0 out of 5 stars stay clear of this tv. I bought mine 15 ...
stay clear of this tv. I bought mine 15 months ago, and it is already broken. When the power turns on, there is only a black screen and no sound. Then you cant turn the thing off, having to unplug the set to turn it off. I am currently trying to use my warranty thru my credit card company to fix it . Wish me luck
Published 6 months ago by kellyb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV at a Great Price!, December 3, 2012
This review is from: JVC JLC42BC3002 BlackCrystal 42-Inch 1080p 60Hz LCD TV with Ambient Light Sensor (Electronics)

I haven't looked at TV's in years, so I was a bit behind on my knowledge regarding them. I looked at the ones with internet apps, but I have a gaming console, so that wasn't really needed. I looked at 3D TV's, but I don't think the 3D technology is good enough to invest a couple hundred extra dollars in. I looked at the new "LED" TV's, but unless you're wanting to spend thousands of dollars, you're only getting LED "edge-lit", which may actually hurt the picture quality, as it's only being lit up by tiny LED's around the edge of the TV.

One thing that initially turned me away from this TV is that it was only had a 60hz refresh rate. So many other manufactures are promoting 120hz TV's, so I thought 60 would be sub par. So, I set out to do my research to see if there was a huge difference between 60 and 120hz. It surprised me to find that having a TV that's over 60hz may actually be a worse choice.

In short, the source footage (cable, video games, dvd's) is never greater than 60Hz. For example, when you watch a movie on Blu-ray, it's a 1080p picture at 60 Hz. The disc displays 60 interlaced or 30 progressive frames at 1,920-by-1,080 resolution per second of video. Enhanced refresh rates like 120Hz, 240Hz, and various other speed-boosting features on modern HDTVs seem to try and push the concept too far. You can't add detail beyond what's in the source footage, so basically they try and interpolate data between each frame to produce additional frames. The data in those combined frames can only be based on the source frames and whatever mathematical magic the HDTV is employing to figure out the middle ground. Tastes can vary, and you might enjoy the motion-smoothing effects of an HDTV with 120Hz or 240Hz modes, but they don't add any actual detail to the video, and they certainly shouldn't be considered deal breakers when you're shopping for an HDTV.

Moving on, one surprising thing from this TV is the sound. To me, the sound was MUCH better than expected, especially when compared to other smaller TV's. I was going to buy a sound bar, but I'm more than content with the built in sound.

Since we're talking about sound, this TV has something that even the most expensive models seem to not have (from what I've researched). It has an audio only mode, which allows you to completely turn off the screen while still listening to audio. This is helpful if you're say streaming music from you PS3 or listening to a music channel on your cable box. It will allow you to save money on power and likely even extend the life on the TV itself.

Overall, this is a terrific TV at a great price. It has surpassed my expectations and I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Televison, October 30, 2012
Clear, crisp screen, fantastic sound, Assembled in less than 20 mins, no tools needed. Easy start-up. High quality for a good price. Very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture and 3d sound!, January 22, 2013
I never use JVC TV before. I bought this TV from somewhere else because of 90 days return policy. I was just surprise to see the picture quality. I never expect such beautiful picture quality and sound in this price range. Picture is so clear, crisp, sharp and vivid. It has excellent 3d sound. It's frond boosting 3d sound is really super!! No need to buy separate sound system. Have to pay $250 more to get same quality from other famous brand like Sony, LG, Samsung and Panasonic.
Nobody will regret after buying this TV. Now need to see the stability of this TV.
I definitely recommend this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this tv!, June 26, 2012
I love this tv-it is huge (to me) and the picture and sound are both great--it shipped really quickly--ordered Tuesday, got it on Saturday. I had it up and running in a jiffy...and I am NOT technologically gifted!!! (to say the least) This TV was wayyyyyy easy to connect to everything, thanks to the "idiot guide" included. I've got my dvd player and roku all set up with it....easy squeasy...now I may never leave my house....lol....

5.0 out of 5 stars JVC 42 Inch BlackCrystal 1080p, December 1, 2012
It has been about 3 weeks since my purchase and have to say that I am very impressed. I was looking for a second TV for the bedroom so didn't want go for anything too expensive but didn't want to settle in terms of quality. I was skeptical at first because I have never used a JVC product before so did not know what to expect. Finally went ahead with the purchase based on the excellent ratings for the product even though the number of reviews were not that many.

Purchase was straight from Amazon (for much less than what is listed here now), packaging and delivery were as promised; no damage of any kind; set up was a breeze and ready to go in 10 minutes. I was worried about the sound before I plugged it in but I was relieved and became rather pleased with the quality of the surround sound. The most impressive part was the picture quality and rivals my much larger Panasonic Viera in the living room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great LCD TV, November 25, 2012
It is a great LCD TV with an amazing SOUND and picture quality. Generally, LCD TVs are poor in the sound department but not this TV. Another feature that I like is the ambient light sensor feature which calibrates brightness to the room ambient light level. Don't worry about 60hz, you won't notice any blurriness with its faster 5ms response time even with your fast packed sports and action movies!

5.0 out of 5 stars This LCD unit is SO much better than the LED tv i tried, February 14, 2013
For those of you embarking on the quest for a good low end hi-def tv, i highly recommend this jvc tv. unlike the previous tv that i tried, and immediately returned (an led Vizio,) this lcd unit has fabulous speakers built into the tv. the picture quality is excellent. it appears that the new thinner led tv's cannot incorporate good speakers into their thin frame, necessitating the need to purchase external speakers (soundbar, woofers, etc) - which greatly increases the expense and complexity of installation. i have my jvc hooked up to a sony bluray player which is connected to the internet by ethernet (wired connection.) When watching streamed content from Netflix and Amazon, the picture and sound quality seem comparable to a movie theatre. I couldn't be more satisfied. Watching cable is also good - be sure to connect to set via HDMI, and not rf cable. Precautionary note: this set has only 2 HDMI ports.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality TV at a good price, January 26, 2013
This product arrived in great condition and was packed very well. The TV delivers a quality picture and sound. I use it with a Blu-Ray DVD player and the quality of movies is terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality TV, December 19, 2012
This tv is a super quality tv for the money. I bought this for my friend who has cancer and he loves the sound and picture quality so much. Glad I picked JVC for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M DELIGHTED WITH MY NEW JVC-HDTV, December 11, 2012
RAYMOND NELSON (ST PETERSBURG FL) - See all my reviews
In every way, this 42" JVC Black Crystal HDTV (which I purchased from Amazon last month) excels personal expectations. I live in a 7th-floor studio apartment, and for me, a rabbit-ear antenna provides a flawless high-definition picture. I own hundreds of audio cd's and play them through my Sony dvd player attached to the JVC television via HDMI. Awesome sound strikingly enhanced by the feature "Audio Only" dark-screen setting. I attached and enabled a Roku-XS via my (computer) broadband wireless router and am one happy camper.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›