Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: JVC JLC42BC3002 BlackCrystal 42-Inch 1080p 60Hz LCD TV with Ambient Light Sensor
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on December 3, 2012
I was looking for a decent sized TV for my studio apartment. I did a lot of research and had several candidates, but I decided to pull the trigger on this one due to the specs and the crazy low price that Amazon had on it at the time (mid $300's). I'm on a strict budget, so finding something at a great price was the biggest selling point.

I haven't looked at TV's in years, so I was a bit behind on my knowledge regarding them. I looked at the ones with internet apps, but I have a gaming console, so that wasn't really needed. I looked at 3D TV's, but I don't think the 3D technology is good enough to invest a couple hundred extra dollars in. I looked at the new "LED" TV's, but unless you're wanting to spend thousands of dollars, you're only getting LED "edge-lit", which may actually hurt the picture quality, as it's only being lit up by tiny LED's around the edge of the TV.

One thing that initially turned me away from this TV is that it was only had a 60hz refresh rate. So many other manufactures are promoting 120hz TV's, so I thought 60 would be sub par. So, I set out to do my research to see if there was a huge difference between 60 and 120hz. It surprised me to find that having a TV that's over 60hz may actually be a worse choice.

In short, the source footage (cable, video games, dvd's) is never greater than 60Hz. For example, when you watch a movie on Blu-ray, it's a 1080p picture at 60 Hz. The disc displays 60 interlaced or 30 progressive frames at 1,920-by-1,080 resolution per second of video. Enhanced refresh rates like 120Hz, 240Hz, and various other speed-boosting features on modern HDTVs seem to try and push the concept too far. You can't add detail beyond what's in the source footage, so basically they try and interpolate data between each frame to produce additional frames. The data in those combined frames can only be based on the source frames and whatever mathematical magic the HDTV is employing to figure out the middle ground. Tastes can vary, and you might enjoy the motion-smoothing effects of an HDTV with 120Hz or 240Hz modes, but they don't add any actual detail to the video, and they certainly shouldn't be considered deal breakers when you're shopping for an HDTV.

Moving on, one surprising thing from this TV is the sound. To me, the sound was MUCH better than expected, especially when compared to other smaller TV's. I was going to buy a sound bar, but I'm more than content with the built in sound.

Since we're talking about sound, this TV has something that even the most expensive models seem to not have (from what I've researched). It has an audio only mode, which allows you to completely turn off the screen while still listening to audio. This is helpful if you're say streaming music from you PS3 or listening to a music channel on your cable box. It will allow you to save money on power and likely even extend the life on the TV itself.

Overall, this is a terrific TV at a great price. It has surpassed my expectations and I couldn't be happier.
on October 30, 2012
Clear, crisp screen, fantastic sound, Assembled in less than 20 mins, no tools needed. Easy start-up. High quality for a good price. Very happy with this purchase.
on January 22, 2013
I never use JVC TV before. I bought this TV from somewhere else because of 90 days return policy. I was just surprise to see the picture quality. I never expect such beautiful picture quality and sound in this price range. Picture is so clear, crisp, sharp and vivid. It has excellent 3d sound. It's frond boosting 3d sound is really super!! No need to buy separate sound system. Have to pay $250 more to get same quality from other famous brand like Sony, LG, Samsung and Panasonic.
Nobody will regret after buying this TV. Now need to see the stability of this TV.
I definitely recommend this TV.
on June 26, 2012
I love this tv-it is huge (to me) and the picture and sound are both great--it shipped really quickly--ordered Tuesday, got it on Saturday. I had it up and running in a jiffy...and I am NOT technologically gifted!!! (to say the least) This TV was wayyyyyy easy to connect to everything, thanks to the "idiot guide" included. I've got my dvd player and roku all set up with it....easy squeasy...now I may never leave my house....lol....
1111 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2012
It has been about 3 weeks since my purchase and have to say that I am very impressed. I was looking for a second TV for the bedroom so didn't want go for anything too expensive but didn't want to settle in terms of quality. I was skeptical at first because I have never used a JVC product before so did not know what to expect. Finally went ahead with the purchase based on the excellent ratings for the product even though the number of reviews were not that many.

Purchase was straight from Amazon (for much less than what is listed here now), packaging and delivery were as promised; no damage of any kind; set up was a breeze and ready to go in 10 minutes. I was worried about the sound before I plugged it in but I was relieved and became rather pleased with the quality of the surround sound. The most impressive part was the picture quality and rivals my much larger Panasonic Viera in the living room.
on December 11, 2012
In every way, this 42" JVC Black Crystal HDTV (which I purchased from Amazon last month) excels personal expectations. I live in a 7th-floor studio apartment, and for me, a rabbit-ear antenna provides a flawless high-definition picture. I own hundreds of audio cd's and play them through my Sony dvd player attached to the JVC television via HDMI. Awesome sound strikingly enhanced by the feature "Audio Only" dark-screen setting. I attached and enabled a Roku-XS via my (computer) broadband wireless router and am one happy camper.
on November 25, 2012
It is a great LCD TV with an amazing SOUND and picture quality. Generally, LCD TVs are poor in the sound department but not this TV. Another feature that I like is the ambient light sensor feature which calibrates brightness to the room ambient light level. Don't worry about 60hz, you won't notice any blurriness with its faster 5ms response time even with your fast packed sports and action movies!
on August 20, 2013
Ordered a different TV from the seller, they did not have and replaced with a better TV. Due to UPS accident TV was damaged. Seller replaced with and even better TV and sent it to us.

Better that great service for sure.

The TV has a nice clear picture and the sound quality and we are very pleased with the set overall.
on November 26, 2012
We paid $400 for this TV, which I was really happy about. The picture is great. The remote is basic but functional. The sound is pretty good for a TV. The mode settings which adjust the picture based on the type of program viewed are pretty cool.
on November 8, 2012
Ordered on Fri. got on Tues. - EZ setup - hooked up to digital cable box - great picture and sound - customized picture to my preferences. I may get HD Cable later, but the picture is so good no need for now.
Update 1/15/13 - got HD cable box -SPECTACULAR picture and sound! - didn't realize what I was missing! - still working flawlessly.