5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio - perfect brightness dimmer controls
I had originally purchased a Pioneer but had to return it because it was extremely bright at night, making it hard to see the road.

Published 19 months ago by Northerner

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio Except For A Couple Of Glaring Faults.
Published 2 months ago by Steve C

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio - perfect brightness dimmer controls, December 8, 2012
This review is from: JVC KD-HDR71BT CD Receiver, Bluetooth, HD Radio, SAT Radio Ready, Dual USB, Works with Pandora (Electronics)

I went to the store and tried playing with several different brands. Come to find out... several of the JVC brand radios have done an excellent job of allowing you to control not only the color options, but more importantly, the brightness level!

Not only can you control the brightness to make it dimmer at night... but it actually has daytime and nighttime preset modes. So you can perfectly configure the brightness/color for each of these 2 modes separately. Then you can just switch between the modes as you please. Additionally, it has an "auto" mode. When you are installing this radio you can splice in the dimmer wire to the one in your vehicle. Now, when I twist the knob (built into my car from the factory) to make the dashboard a little dimmer, it will also automatically make the JVC radio switch into NightTime mode. PERFECT!!!
It is such a shame that many radios do not provide this feature.

Anyway, after discovering JVC provides this feature... then it was just a matter of deciding which model of JVC radio to buy. I researched for a while and came upon this one here. And it has worked really well for me so far.... have used it for a month now.

PROS:
. ** Extremely-well engineered brightness controls
. HD radio sounds better than I expected - really sharp and clear. (And I am not even an audio enthusiast... just a regular user)
. Easy access mute button. Just press the big volume button -- very nice. (Or pauses your BT-streamed music.)
. Comes with the needed BlueTooth adapter. (some other JVC radios don't... and you have to buy it separately!!!)
. Can invoke Siri Voice Assistant on my iPhone by holding the Phone button on radio for about 2 seconds and letting go.
. Can stream music over Blue Tooth just fine from my iPhone. Quality sounds good.
. Can tag songs you hear on HD radio channels by pressing button on radio. Stores it on your iPhone so you can actually remember it and buy it later!

CONS:
. The external mic included with this kinda sucks. I tried putting it behind the steering wheel, but that didn't work. I put it on my visor and now it works with about 92% success rate. It is certainly OK now and my parents can hear me. However, when I am invoking Siri I have to speak very loud and clearly... and even then it only gets what I am saying most of the time. Sometimes I have to cancel and repeat myself. Perhaps not the best radio for Siri integration. But... given the competition out there (other radio brands).... this JVC radio was still far superior as a whole package.
. Doesn't seem to automatically read text messages when connected with BlueTooth.
. Using AppleMaps app on iPhone connected with BlueTooth, it seems that it DOES NOT correctly pipe over the voice instructions on the radio. I could no longer hear my phone telling me when and where to turn. This is kind of annoying... maybe there is a work around??? It is frustrating. For now, when I am using the voice navigation on my iPhone I just turn off the whole radio, so at least my iPhone will speak turn-by-turn directions to me.

SUMMARY:
I really like this radio. Overall, it completely beats out the competition. My car didn't have BlueTooth before... so I am glad I added this radio. Makes it easy to listen to audio books while driving to work. This was my first time installing a car radio... so it was a little intimidating with all the wires and removing the interior dashboard panels..... but overall a good learning experience... lol. Let's just say I am glad that the installation is finished and done with! :-D

-- Detailed Notes --
.Vehicle: Honda Accord 2005 EX.
.Phone: iPhone 5.

.I installed this along with the ASWC steering wheel control adapter, so I could still control the radio from my steering wheel. (Kinda/mostly works... but not perfect... was really frustrating to install this piece)
(a) Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039H2W66/ref=wms_ohs_product

.In order to install both radio and steering wheel adapter (and avoid soldering), I bought all three of these items which worked very well for me:
(1) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00389R8KU/ref=wms_ohs_product
(2) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00389UT3I/ref=wms_ohs_product
(3) [...]

.Plus of course you need to buy a radio harness that fits the dashboard for your car.
(a) The one I got was Metra brand, from BestBuy. They help you figure out which one you need here:[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it today! Installed it myself in less than 20 minutes! Works great!, October 17, 2012
First of all I am not offering the first review of this product on Amazon.com. It has several reviews already but it is sold under two tags. Check out:"JVC KD-HDR71BT Single Din CD/MP3/HD Radio Receiver With Dual Aux and USB, Bluetooth, and Pandora Control Through iPhone"(I opted for this one because it was cheaper!) I posted pictures of the box to supply information I couldn't find prior to buying it. (I was surprised to see that the Bluetooth is via an included adapter rather than built in but hey, it works so all is good.) I have an Sprint HTC EVO LTE 4G phone running Android's ice-cream sandwich. I offer that because that is the phone I tested it with. I downloaded the remote app. I haven't tried it yet but there are quite a few apps in Google play for this device. After I try a few out I will review them! As for the stereo I was upgrading from a 5 year old JVC KD-HDR1. I live in the Cleveland Ohio market so there are quite a few HD radio stations and I'm used to listening to them. I was happily surprised to find this new unit can pull in Detroit and Windsor stations as well as Toledo. My old unit picked up about 6 stations that I liked well enough to preset in. 4 offered HD sub stations. I like that this new unit allows direct setting of the sub stations into memory. No more having to tune in the main station to get to the sub station if I prefer it more! (In my area at least the sub stations have less commercials and DJ chatter) On the brief test I gave it in my driveway it picked up several stations with HD that I was unaware of. I will be checking them out now! I paired my phone with the new radio with ease after reading the paper manual to find out what I needed to do to get the radio into pairing mode. Once I did the radio quickly found my phone and flashed my phone's name on the screen. I tested playing an MP3. I did not test the call feature just yet. I will return to this review if I have any problems. This is my 4th JVC radio for my personal use. I've never had any issues with any in the past. The two prior ones to my last one are still going strong in the cars of friends. The one I just removed from my car will be finding a new home in a relative's car. I did check on having Best Buy install it for me but being cheap opted to do it myself. Since this is the forth radio to go in my 2000 Toyota Echo (counting the factory speced thing that was removed the first day) it already had a wire harness adapter. I sat at my dining room table to hook up the new harness wires to the wire adapter harnesses for my car after removing them from my old radio. If you have never installed a car radio before you can have someone do it for you or you can research how to install one in your car before you attempt to do it yourself. If you are handy with tools it's not difficult. I will add more details about my experience with this radio in a week or so by which point I should discover any flaws or exciting perks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete package, February 16, 2013
Michael Enoksen (Marysville, California) - See all my reviews
There have been many comprehensive reviews that I based my purchase of this product on and I am happy to say they are all true.

I am not going to add much on the technical aspects of the receiver. However, I did want to mention a couple of things as well as add some pictures of the installation.

You can get stereos with Bluetooth or stereos with HD Radio, but it is hard to find one with both...at a reasonable price. Since you are reading this review, you have found your way to this stereo.

I live in the sticks of Northern Cali so there aren't a lot of HD Radio stations, but they are there and they are very welcome. I love having more option oh and the clarity of HD Radio is great!

I haven't made or received any calls yet, but I have streamed Slacker Radio from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 via Bluetooth. It paired just fine. The auto pair isn't working but that is my tablet's fault and not the JVC.

FYI the Bluetooth is not built in. JVC includes a Bluetooth Dongle that plugs into the rear USB port. I added a Hubman USB port. It is a cute little USB splitter. I plugged it into the rear USB port and mounted it on the side of the center console. The primary purpose for this splitter was to allow for additional charging ports for the myriad of electronic devices we have. Since I used the port where the Bluetooth adapter goes I moved it to this and works without any problems.

My biggest compliment to JVC is the easy menu navigation. I bought my father a Kenwood receiver with HD Radio and navigating the menus on that thing are scattered through multiple buttons and a nightmare. Menus on the JVC are all in one place and easy to navigate.

The install went smooth in my 2005 PT Cruiser. Additionally purchased were Stereo Wire Harness Chrysler PT Cruiser 02 03 04 05 (car radio wiring installation parts) and Metra 99-6504 Dash Kit For Chry/Dodge/Jeep 98-Up Iso Only. I did not know that I needed an antenna adapter so I had to get that later. Here it is Stereo ANTENNA Harness Chrysler PT Cruiser 02 03 04 05 AFTERMARKET STEREO / RADIO ANTENNA ADAPTOR - PLUGS INTO AFTERMARKET STEREOS AND CONNECTS INTO FACTORY ANTENNA

I am very happy with the JVC. If I have any problems or find something new I will update you later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every feature I could ask for in a car radio., November 3, 2012
This receiver has just about every feature I could ask for in a car stereo, and works amazingly well I highly recommend it to anyone looking for the Pros I list below.

I installed it into a 2006 Ford Focus and also had to purchase a wiring harness and a double DIN mounting plate.

This unit is basically the same as the KD-R730BT by JVC, just with HD radio as well.

Pros:
-Excellent sound quality over the original car stereo
-Bluetooth connection with my Android phone, plus auto connect after power on, and Pandora support
-USB Connection and playback - It will even remember the last track you were playing, where it was in the track, and whether or not you had the random option selected after turning the unit off. It does however take a while to read the USB stick each time the unit is turned on.
-MP3 CD player. Not that I use these much anymore with a USB stick but still a nice option to have
-HD radio, which really does sound a lot clearer even through my cheap factory speakers

Cons:
-No clock display when unit is off
-The screen is pretty reflective during the day. Especially in my car since it is mounted at a slightly upward angle due to the dash curving up.
-Kinda difficult to install with the DIN for my car. I had to use the bolt holes on the side with the Mounting plate to install it and make it flush with the dashboard. The unit's mounting bolt size is 5mm width with a 0.8mm thread pitch and the lenth would depend on the mounting plate spacing. Being metric bolts I actually had to go to a local machine shop just to find them.

Not necessarily a con but it does takes a little getting used to. I would highly suggest reading the manual a little since there are so many options available with this unit I can't think of an easy way they could have set-up the menu system without adding a lot more buttons on the front.

So if you want lots of options like me then get this head unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 10, 2014
So, it didn't necessarily say in the description, but the radio comes with a microphone on a long cable, that connects to the back of the unit. The long cable allows you to wire it beyond paneling in the car so that you can place it in a good location to use it with the bluetooth mode on your smart phone.
This unit has a lot of features, not all of them are intuitive, but I definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for the buck in the sub-$200 category, wish clock would display, March 13, 2013
Bought in January after a lot of research...love it.

Pros:
- Works with my Motorola Droid Bionic and Samsung Galaxy S3 flawlessly. If you're an Android person this thing is great right out of the box. I paired my phones in less than a minute and was streaming music from the music player and skipping songs right from the unit immediately.
- Great feature set for the price. It has Bluetooth, an external mic, HD radio, a CD player, and a remote all for less than $200 with connectors. That's a steal.
- Bluetooth calling and dialing from the unit is pretty smooth and intuitive. It pulls in your recent calls and contacts and you can use the wheel to roll through them. Bluetooth connects right when I get in my car and I sometimes forget that it's even connected when I'm driving and am surprised when calls come through the stereo. That's a great feature. The mic is pretty darn good though. I have it right on the dash behind the steering wheel. There's a little bit of a feedback echo if I turn the stereo up, but that's basic mic technology. You really can't expect to be able to turn call volume to a million and not have the mic pic it up. Some people have complained about that and I disagree.
- I like being able to have crazy colored LEDs

Cons:
- The clock doesn't display very often. If you're using the radio, then the clock displays. Otherwise good luck telling what time it was.
- The display shows which songs are playing and shows song name and artist. This is cool, but it only works with Google Play Music. If you use another music playing app, then it will continuously display the name of the last song you played on Google Play Music. I wish it just showed the darn clock instead. Can't seem to change this. For the last month my car says "ICE CUBE - CHILD SUPPORT" no matter what I'm playing over Bluetooth.
- Directions were pretty good and I did a self install. I went to Crutchfield and placed a fake order with them (didn't complete the order) to figure out what connectors I needed for my car. Amazon should have that info right here in the listing. I wish the diagrams had been a little clearer and had actually featured some writing to clarify the pictures. I think I could have done the install in an hour and half instead of 4 if the instructions had been better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio Except For A Couple Of Glaring Faults., April 27, 2014
I got one of these for half price at Frys that was a returned open box item. It has lots of fabulous features, 2 USB ports, Bluetooth, Aux Input, SD card reader, either Sirius or XM satellite adapter compatible, CD player and HD Radio. The reception on AM and FM is great and it locks into HD stations very fast in about 2 seconds. It can also save an HD2 subchannel on a preset. The sound is very good, sharp and clear, as long as the source is good. I really like it except for a couple of things, first the front panel is a terrible design! Didn't anyone at the factory ever turn this radio on to see how it looks or try to use the controls? The LCD display only has one line of just 11 digits for text, not 3 lines like other radios. While an FM radio station might be sending it's call letters, frequency, the title of a song that's playing and artist of the song you can only see one of your choice. Also the little 11 digit display is too short to show even the whole title in most cases! The 4 little up and down buttons on the left to change stations up and down are hard to find and use and the white lighted plastic underneath the volume control knob and Source button is way too bright! I took the font panel apart and pasted a couple of pieces of white paper over the LED beneath the Source button to tone it down some. If power is lost the radio can remember it's presets but not other settings and defaults back to the annoying Demo mode each time that starts flashing the front panel all different colors until it can be turned off! The worst thing though is the lack of a heat sink on the back for the power amp IC. It has just a square aluminum plate screwed onto it that gets very hot instead of the finned heatsink that it should have. I removed the plate and was shocked that it didn't have any heatsink grease on it either! I put some heatsink grease on it between the IC and the plate and drilled a second hole into the plate and mounted a real finned heatsink on the back to help cool the IC.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective out of the box, March 18, 2014
Pros:
Feature List
Logical wiring harness

Cons:
Defective out of the box
Illogical bluetooth integration
Dinky remote
Instructions

After installing this unit it became evident that it was defective. The unit would constantly try to eject a disc when no disc was inserted. I could not switch over to any other function other than the menu.

The bluetooth integration is not logical. They just plugged a bluetooth sensor into an auxiliary usb cable that is permanently attached to the back of the unit. The bluetooth sensor should be built into the face instead and the usb port in the back should be open and not have a permanently attached cable.

The remote is too small and lacks functions.

The instructions are not very descriptive however this appears to be an industry standard for head units.
The wiring diagram is not very clear, this is because they felt it necessary to list each wire description in multiple languages on the same diagram. The wiring color codes are however logical and clearly distinguishable.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, February 9, 2014
rick (JONESBOROUGH, TN, US) - See all my reviews
i'm putting this in my 81 vette hooked it up lots of options,works well havent dont the blue tooth or sat radio yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this receiver, January 31, 2014
I installed it without any problems. It replaced a dead CD player. I have had no problems with it. The phone function is my favorite. The radio picks up all my stations. The front USB is very handy for connecting my phone or a stick with music. The only complaint I have is that the adhesive on the mic is not very strong and it would not stick. I replaced it with some 3M super double sided tape, problem fixed. I would recommend this to anyone looking for the Bluetooth feature.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›